Binghamton University/SUNY

Cici Beanz

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

I'll be at Binghamton in the Fall working on an MS in Biomedical Anthropology and I'd love to meet some other folks who'll be going there. :)

Hi Cici,

I'm starting grad school at Binghamton in the fall also. I'll be doing my Ph.D. in mathematics. I'm moving down there this June. I'd also love to meet some other grad students who are heading down there.

Best,

Mike

Wow, this thread is great. I am coming to Binghamton this Fall too from outside the USA so I guess I am even more nervous and excited than you guys. Hope we will be able to meet up, maybe for a drink where we play the game "Can you guess what my nickname on gradcafe is?" :)

Alright, in the spirit of starting a conversation: When are y'all going apartment hunting? I would like to go out there in June maybe to see the school and look at places available in August. I'm in a wedding in May, which will take up a considerable amount of time, otherwise I would go and visit while school was still in the Spring semester.

Btw, I'm looking for an animal friendly apartment if anyone has any leads!

I'm looking to go in June as well, but I might pop up in May for a day or two if I see something really promising since I'm so close by (relatively speaking). I am envious that you get to bring your pet...I've decided that I will most likely be leaving my doggy with my mom, and that makes me really sad...with that said, if you find two bedroom that will accept two pets including a siberian husky and you want a roommate, let me know. ;)

I will not be able to arrive in Binghamton sooner than the last week of July. So I will have only a few weeks to settle down before classes start, including department hunting, the most important and time-consuming part. So if you guys have any experience about finding a decent apartment in Binghamton, please do share with me and others on this thread. I have heard many good things about BU from a person working there as a professor (not my POI though) and I still wanna hear more from students' perspectives. So after your trips to the school, let us know what you think about BU. Especially Kelkel, if you do not mind sharing with me about the History Department and their program. I think your sharing would be really useful for those coming there this Fall like us. Thanks and enjoy your visit, both of you Cici and Kelkel. :)

So what are you guys thinking for the living situation? Do you plan to live alone or with roommates? I had been pretty set onliving alone but now I am rethinking that. Thoughts?

I am gonna find a one-bedroom apartment and live alone. I used to stay with a roommate (we shared a twin room not a flat) during pursuing my MA and it was so hard for me to have a quiet place to study and rest. So I definitely do not want to experience the same ordeal.

• 1 month later...

So I've signed a lease! I'll be living with 4 other roommates, so I know it'll be a little crowded, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll ALSO be a kind of built in social group of sorts as well. :) I've also been researching local cafes and other places to hang out and a few of them look like fun.

Hey Cici, it's good to hear that you have found a place to live. In which area is your house located if you do not mind me asking? During your search, any particular areas that you visited had nice apartments for rent ? I am not from the USA so I have little idea about Binghamton and I will not arrive until the first week of August. Thanks a lot.

Edited by alleykat

Oh yeah, knowing what area you signed lease in would be great! Luckily I found an alumn from my college that's currenting attending BU, so maybe I'll get some insider info that way.

• 2 months later...

Hey Cici,

I am now living in Binghamton. I went to the University twice already to finish some paper work and to meet up with my supervisor. Everybody there was really nice. I am pretty sure that I made the right choice. Hope you have a smooth moving in at your new place. And don't forget the drink!

I, too, am already here (and have been for a while). I met with my adviser already and it got me super excited about everything to come. Now I'm just waiting on everything to pick up!

• 5 months later...