Norman/Oklahoma City, OK

vahid1982

• 10 months later...

I'm bumping this topic.

Can anyone give me numbers on the cost of living in Norman? Specifically, how much would rent be for a mid-quality apartment or possibly a house near the OU campus? I'm trying to compare financial offers, but it's hard to determine cost of living for smaller cities.

If you have other things to say about the city in general, that would be helpful too.

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this topic.

Can anyone give me numbers on the cost of living in Norman? Specifically, how much would rent be for a mid-quality apartment or possibly a house near the OU campus? I'm trying to compare financial offers, but it's hard to determine cost of living for smaller cities.

If you have other things to say about the city in general, that would be helpful too.

It's been a few years since I've lived closer to OU, but I expect that a mid-quality 1 bed/1 bath unit could be had in the 450-550 range. If you want an in-unit washer/dryer hookup, you're probably looking at the top of that range or a bit higher. Traditions Square, the university-owned apartments, provide a fair benchmark (http://traditions.ou...category/10/11/); note that Tradition's rates include utilties, cable, and internet access. Also,a number of new apartment units have been constructed in the years since I've graduated. Undergrad enrollment has also increased too, but at a slower rate; the overall impression I get is that rents have stayed fairly stable, particularly for some of the older units in town (Springfield, Summerpointe)

In other regards, you should be able to stretch a dollar in Norman. Gasoline is routinely 30-50 cents cheaper than in other parts of the country, and food isn't terribly expensive either.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thank you so much!

What's the general "vibe" like? For example, my partner is a vegatarian. Will there be many restaurants where he could eat? Do they many other college campuses around? What kind of things are there to do?

Basically, I'd love to get a sense of what the area is like. I live in the midwest, in a small city (south bend, indiana) and I'm hoping Norman is at least comparable.

Well let's see, I am vegan (obviously), there are a few options but it is certainly not the most vegetarian friendly place in the world. There isn't even an all vegetarian restaurant, with the exception of one raw place that is outside of OKC (in the other direction from Norman). Truly though, it has gotten considerably better and there are options like the Earth Cafe, Chipotle, a couple decent indian restaurants and a few other things. My mom has lived there for 10+ years now ( she moved from So Cal where I grew up). Every time I go to visit it seems a bit better. I also have a friend that is a grad student there, she works on LGBT issues, and is vegan as well. Again it is definitely do-able, and overall I would say Norman has the best vibe of anywhere in Oklahoma. That said it is still Oklahoma and it is a very, very conservative place. Norman is probably the most liberal/ left leaning area in the state and I believe the county it is in still goes red every election cycle. Rent is cheap and people are quite polite, and again it is probably the most left leaning area in the state, though that isn't saying much. In the short time I have spent on or near the University the vibe was quite good though. Any other specific questions?

This is so helpful!

Those were my main concerns. I'm pretty used to being a liberal surrounded by conservatives. Thank you so much for the insights.

I have no idea if you would know this or not, but do you know if they have good vet care in the area? We have a snake and several parrots, and I'm little concerned about finding a qualified vet for exotics--but luckily everyone is in pretty good health so it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

• 4 weeks later...

I grew up in Oklahoma City, and my parents have lived in Oklahoma City and Norman so maybe I can add something. I would definitely second the conservative vibe. I'm pretty sure it's gotten worse in recent years too, and the whole state (every single county) went red in the last presedential election. Norman is very much a college town. There are other universities in the area (OSU two hours north in Stillwater, UCO 40 min North in Edmond, and OCU just north of downtown OKC)but Norman pretty much centers around OU. Also, my cousin lives in Norman, is very strictly vegan and seems to manage alright. There aren't a whole lot of vegetarian restaurants but I remember at least one or two small groceries catering to vegan and vegetarians in Norman. Otherwise, the closest you'll get to Organics is Akin's in OKC, and they are building a Whole Foods in OKC. Finally, I didn't realize til I left how much access I had to Korean and Vietnamese food in "Little Asia," which is around 30th and May in OKC. Other than that, I would just add that the OKC metro is pretty much suburban sprawl in every direction, though there are pockets of interesting showing up all the time. Downtown OKC around Broadway has some cool coffee shops and bike shops, Bricktown if you're into clubs and loud bars, the Paseo has art walks, there's a decent museum, a new central library, the new NBA team, and there's even an itsy bitsy gay district on NE 36th and Penn. That said, I would totally get out of sprawlville once and awhile and see the flatness of the plains and the huge ass sky, which I always preferred.

Oh, I forgot. I'm not sure about exotics exactly but OSU has a very good veterinarian school so I'm sure there must be at least a few good vets in the area.

I actually feel like Norman (politics wise) only gets better, even in recent years. Just FYI, the Whole Foods is officially open in OKC and has been for a few months. My mom went to check it out a while back and said it was amazing, she's been waiting for a Whole Foods for a while. In town, Dodsons is probably the best place for "natural foods" and if you're used to any of the nicer places like I was it can be pretty disappointing. Dodsons is also super christian so keep that in mind. They will order almost anything you might want if you ask for it specifically though.

• 10 months later...

Just want to bump this city for this year.  My program is a great fit here but I wonder how I will fit into the surrounding community.  In Norman especially how much will a VERY liberal person stick out.  To put it in perspective I am considered Liberal by Madison, WI standards. 

Where are good areas to live in with both a quiet atmosphere yet close to some nightlife when the need to unwind arises?

Pedestrian friendly?

Just want to bump this city for this year.  My program is a great fit here but I wonder how I will fit into the surrounding community.  In Norman especially how much will a VERY liberal person stick out.  To put it in perspective I am considered Liberal by Madison, WI standards. 

Where are good areas to live in with both a quiet atmosphere yet close to some nightlife when the need to unwind arises?

Pedestrian friendly?

Double bump this, I applied to University of Oklahoma and Tulsa. What are the average rent and good neighborhoods to live in? I'm coming from NYC and would expect a major decline in food choices but then again, price decline is a good thing.

Hey guys! I'm a Californian-Oklahoman. I've lived in both sates as well as abroad and I can tell you a lot about Norman because I did my undergrad at OU! 

Okay, here's the skinny: Norman is a college town. It's about 110,000 Population and is intensely segregated by occupation/income. the Middle of the city is totally run by the university. It's about a 3 by 5 mile square of densely populated homes, duplexes and apartments with the University in the middle. Within this square you will see students and locals riding bicycles, many Obama signs on cars and yards and you will see professors and their families as well as a lot of Normanites who either went to OU and stuck around or are "taking some time off". It's a liberal vibe and there are quite an array of bars and coffee shops. You can live here without a car, and there are collective communes here and there. Looots of hipsters as of recent years, and like any college town in 2013, a sizable LGBT population and vegan/new age.  As far as Oklahoma goes, and really much of this part of the country, Norman is liberal. You certainly won't be chastized for having liberal views and you will find many others who feel the same. It's a university! 

That said, there is a healthy conservative element. There is a sizable greek population at OU, with our sororities and fraternities being regionally notable. They tend to be less liberal and flaunt typical excessive consumerism mostly feeding in from Dallas and Houston (OU is roughly 60% Texan). But they aren't so bad, and there are liberals amongst them as well. 

Anyway, anything else you all would like to know? I'd be happy to answer any questions! :)

oh, and what I mean by "intensely segregated by population and income" in my earlier post is that West Norman has got quite a bit of suburban sprawl, with professionals and families living along 1-35. Over there you have movie theaters and typical anywhere USA chain restaurants (chilli's TGi Fridays Teds Escondido etc). It's like a whole separate world. Two miles east you run into University Land, basically a separate city, with the bars and locally owned restaurants that cater to the 25,000+ university crowd. No one really goes over to white suburbia West Norman except for dinner with visiting family or dates or movie theaters. 

Oh and OKC is far enough away to be very separate, but close enough to offer Thunder NBA games, concerts at the Ford Center and Malls, and the airport. But it's all 45 mins. away

This is so helpful!

Those were my main concerns. I'm pretty used to being a liberal surrounded by conservatives. Thank you so much for the insights.

I have no idea if you would know this or not, but do you know if they have good vet care in the area? We have a snake and several parrots, and I'm little concerned about finding a qualified vet for exotics--but luckily everyone is in pretty good health so it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Dr. Nancy on NW 23rd street in OKC. City Animal Hospital. WORTH the drive from Norman. She's the best. Prices are the most reasonable in the metro, and she works for rescues, too.

I find Norman to be really boring and prefer Oklahoma City. I can tell you anything you want to know about good places to live in OKC if you choose to live here and commute to Norman. A lot of people do it. The vegan restaurant JUST closed down, but Asian, Middle Eastern restaurants work - my husband and I are OKC vegans. Whole Foods, of course, and we shop at Sprouts a lot, too. I think Sprouts is just a midwest thing - it is like Whole Foods, but cheaper.

Lived in Oklahoma almost my entire life, so ask away!

• 3 weeks later...

I have just been accepted into OU for the Mathematics PhD program. They offered me a stipend of 15K. I know that the cost of living over there in much lower than the nation's average. However, I'm just wondering if this is enough to support myself. I am coming from NJ and you will barely make rent on this salary. That's why I'm still at home lol...

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I'm an international student from the UK and one of the schools I'm looking at going to is UCO. Can anyone let me know what Edmond and Oklahoma City are like? I've never been and want to find out some of the high and low points.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Anyone going to Norman campus this fall? I wonder about on campus housing options for grad students.. Any idea would be very helpful

I am finishing up my second year as a PhD student at OU. I do not live on campus, but did check out the on-campus apartments when I originally toured the school. They seemed fairly nice and pretty inexpensive. I would have seriously considered it, but I was also coming to OU with a family. The space was too small for what I needed. As previous comments indicate, the cost of living in Norman is very low, but rent has been going up.