Final Decisions!

kldfweldsc

So glad to see this thread! I've been wanting to see if folks have made final decisions yet. For those who haven't done so already, do you mind sharing WHY you chose the school you chose (i.e. location, aid given, prestige of the school etc.) Thanks!

Hmm, well I went with Michigan because other schools are taking too long, I have already gone to this school for four years and it has really become my home, and I'm hoping to get in-state tuition by next year...somehow. I visited U Chicago for the millionth time and still wasn't feeling it. It's less about the program itself - I actually think I would like Chicago's program the most. But everything else about it doesn't feel right. I just don't see myself living there...or perhaps I am too afraid to make a big change like that right now. I feel like me being happy is the most important thing in getting through grad school, and living in a place where I know I love and will be comfortable equals more happiness, hopefully :)

Another reason is because I already have a bunch of professional connections here, so that may help me in the long run. Plus, Ann Arbor is a great place for my focus in mental health since I want to work with people around my age.

Even though Boston University's tuition is way, way better and everything for me, I am deciding against there because living in Boston is expensive and the other two schools I have been accepted to will are "objectively" better (higher ranked and stuff), and I think better for someone with my specific interests. It's SO hard for me to say no to B.U though since I've had a place in my heart for the university and the city before I even knew about U Mich or U Chicago, way back when. :(

ALSO, there is my boyfriend, who may or may not be living here next year...but it's way more likely he will be here than Chicago or Boston.

At this point, finances made no difference between Chicago and UMich (other than the potential in-state tuition) since they both rounded out costing almost exactly the same after scholarships. So if I do hear from a school that gives me lots and lots of $$$ I might change my mind....

Hope this helps you, though I know it's a bit specific to my own situation!

Edited by roxyshoe

For those of you who got money at Columbia/NYU, what were your stats/experience levels? I'm hoping to hear soon, had those apps in awhile ago and still waiting... :-/

I got money from nyu.

Gpa: 3.4 overall 3.6 last 60units from UCI

Double major BA in Cognitive Psych and Public Health

Research Exp

2 years as a behavioral therapist for kids with pervasive development disorders such as autism and downs syndrome

I felt my only strong point in my application was my work experience

Thank you all for sharing your stats and that you got money, but do you mind sharing HOW MUCH?

I got 12,000 from Penn, but I'm still not going because relative to their 38k+ tuition, that still leaves over 20k a year I'd have to take out in loans.

After much deliberation, I've decided to attend UChicago. Technically, I'm still waiting on UMichigan, but at this point even a full ride from them probably wouldn't change my mind. Lol. I chose UChicago because of their curriculum, excellent faculty (2 professors called me after my acceptance to convince me to come, how do you say "no" to that?!) its location, and the multitude of employment opportunities during the program & post-graduation. :-)

Edited by kristi28

Thank you all for sharing your stats and that you got money, but do you mind sharing HOW MUCH?

I got 12,000 from Penn, but I'm still not going because relative to their 38k+ tuition, that still leaves over 20k a year I'd have to take out in loans.

I got 10,500 from NYU.

I believe tuition for 2-year is about 35,000. i haven't decided what i want to do yet. Still waiting on berkeley but at this point it's between NYU and UCLA.

I got 10,500 from NYU.

I believe tuition for 2-year is about 35,000. i haven't decided what i want to do yet. Still waiting on berkeley but at this point it's between NYU and UCLA.

Missdanielle, are you not considering USC at this point and if you don't mind me asking, why? =)

Missdanielle, are you not considering USC at this point and if you don't mind me asking, why? =)

Aw you noticed!!!! Yeah, I had to cross USC off (which i'm really mad about because i paid the deposit thinking i wasn't going to get into other schools!!!)

When it came down to it, I had to realistically think about the cost of tuition. 40,000 for tuition with no scholarship, talk about making my heart frown. Also, after speaking to some current students I decided that UCLA would be a better choice for me than USC because the cohort is much smaller. As an undergrad I felt intimidated and overshadowed by huge class sizes and to some degree I felt that it hindered me from getting to know my professors better and ultimately finding a mentor within my university.

I would get a little off topic

tl;dr -- USC's tuition was a bit steep and class size too big for me

Aw you noticed!!!! Yeah, I had to cross USC off (which i'm really mad about because i paid the deposit thinking i wasn't going to get into other schools!!!)

When it came down to it, I had to realistically think about the cost of tuition. 40,000 for tuition with no scholarship, talk about making my heart frown. Also, after speaking to some current students I decided that UCLA would be a better choice for me than USC because the cohort is much smaller. As an undergrad I felt intimidated and overshadowed by huge class sizes and to some degree I felt that it hindered me from getting to know my professors better and ultimately finding a mentor within my university.

I would get a little off topic

tl;dr -- USC's tuition was a bit steep and class size too big for me

I totally hear you! I applied for the Dean's Leadership Scholarship, which is only 16,000. Nevertheless, it's still free money, so I hope I get it. I would be able to weigh how I'm gonna pay for USC if I actually knew if I got in! Still waiting to hear back from USC, UCLA, Berkeley and NYU! So tired of waiting, especially since all of my applications were submitted and completed in October and November (minus NYU). I will definitely choose UCLA or Berkeley if I get in!

(all per year)

12,000 from uchicago

9,000 from b.u

6,000 from umich

I guess it's not a final decision yet, but I am 99% sure I'll be attending Boston University next fall! I am really excited. I am from MA (currently living in CA) and have family living in Boston as well as across the state. I am macro practice and love that BU makes it easy for students to take classes in community organziing, public administration, and policy without segmenting them so rigidly as some other schools do, and BU macro students seem to have first pick of the macro field placements, as the other Boston area schools focus mostly on clinical practice.

I am still waiting to hear back about financial aid, but given that BU has the cheapest tutition of all 3 of the schools (including my aid package from Columbia) I am pretty sure I will end up there. I am waiting to hear back from UMichigan as well, and I love their program but am less excited about the prospect of living in Ann Arbor and am not sure the school as a whole is the best fit for me.

Congrats to everyone and good luck making your decisions!

Hi Wishing! I'm waiting to hear back from BU. I'm curious about your experience with the online system they have. I've heard that for some people it says "decision not yet reached" but mine only gives me a receipt for the admissions fee and confirmation that my references and application was received. I also don't see anywhere to click to log out. Was it the same for you? I've been accepted at BC and Simmons and their system was so much more user friendly! Also, when did you submit your application. I'm anxiously awaiting their decision!

Edited by KateC

Hi Wishing! I'm waiting to hear back from BU. I'm curious about your experience with the online system they have. I've heard that for some people it says "decision not yet reached" but mine only gives me a receipt for the admissions fee and confirmation that my references and application was received. I also don't see anywhere to click to log out. Was it the same for you? I've been accepted at BC and Simmons and their system was so much more user friendly! Also, when did you submit your application. I'm anxiously awaiting their decision!

Hi Kate! Good luck with your BU application! My application was complete on 1/15 and I received the confirmation email that my application was complete on 2/16. I was admitted on 3/9 via email. The decision was actually just an attached PDF in the email, so it doesn't look like they are using their website as an admission portal the way some other schools are. BU used the same online system for submitting the application that UMIchigan did, but unlike UMichigan and Columbia it did not really have a place to check your admission status online. My BU thing looked just like yours: it shows that my letters have been received and says "application complete."

I have actually been very happy with BU's communication thus far. As long as I am receiving an email once the decision is made, I don't feel like I need to log in to check my application status, and none of the other schools I applied to had updates about the status beyond confirmation and admission decision anyways. BU admissions and financial aid staff in the office have been responsive to my emails and phonecalls and very helpful about giving me information that helped me make my decision. Good luck!

I will go to UChicago if everything goes well ...

UMichigan is my top choice but it doesn't offer $$ for internationals.

Anyone going to UChicago too? Ha, we can be friends !

Lol. I am! We seem to have similar tastes given the schools we applied to. :-)

Lol. I am! We seem to have similar tastes given the schools we applied to. :-)

Lol. We really have similar taste. Actually I just turned NYU down. The only reason I applied is to see how much money it gives and go to other universities arguing about the scholarship...like..NYU gives me ... Upenn gives me.. so would you give me more? Ah I'm greedy ha. (But the decision just came out so late....!)

You are an excellent applicant. Having two professors called you? That's really something. =) Maybe Michigan will offer you more..

Edited by xxxxling

• 2 weeks later...

nobody plans to go to WUSTL Brown?

I received the Teach for America scholarship from WUSTL, but even with half tuition, it's not even close to what other schools offered. I also didn't get good vibes from the program in general. It seems to open-ended and I'm the type of person that needs a lot of structure. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy your experience there!

I will be attending Smith. It isn't much of a decision for me, because it was the only program that I applied to. I have been completely in love with their program for the past 3 years and I am completely over the moon excited to be attending.

I will be attending Smith. It isn't much of a decision for me, because it was the only program that I applied to. I have been completely in love with their program for the past 3 years and I am completely over the moon excited to be attending.

Congrats!! I will see you there in June! :)