Final Decisions!

kldfweldsc

Torn between UCLA and UW Seattle. And waiting on UT Austin. And everything is so expensive. So, so expensive.

But leaning towards Seattle :) I'm hoping I can get one of the fellowships. Has anyone applied to UW and heard about the fellowships?

Congrats to everyone! Good job future social workers!

I am going to UCLA!

@FutureMSW2012: It's between USC and UCLA for me! What was your rationale in applying to just UCLA? What have you heard about the program? What are some big sellers about the program for you! Trying to make my mind up! Hope we see each other this fall!

Edited by vmpancucci

@FutureMSW2012: It's between USC and UCLA for me! What was your rationale in applying to just UCLA? What have you heard about the program? What are some big sellers about the program for you! Trying to make my mind up! Hope we see each other this fall!

When I went to visit the department everyone was very warm and inviting. I met with faculty, staff and students and everyone made me feel like they wanted me in the program. With the department being so small, there are great opportunities to really get to know the faculty for research and mentorship. With only 100 students in each cohort, its easier to get to know everyone and develop a support system through the grad process. I am not sure what you are looking for in a program but I keep highlighting support because when I was researching schools that was a really big deal to me.

I also like the internship placements but from what I hear they are very similar to USC and some of the Cal States. I have heard that UCLA's curriculum is going through some transitions. I do not know if this would be considered a negative or a positive but I think it is important to note.

Ultimately, the biggest sellers for me was cost and location. I could not find a reason to justify paying for USC. I also live on the westside and I wanted to stay in my apartment and not have to relocate my family.

In the end, both are great schools. So I think you will be okay with whichever one you choose. :)

Edited by Future MSW 2012

When I went to visit the department everyone was very warm and inviting. I met with faculty, staff and students and everyone made me feel like they wanted me in the program. With the department being so small, there are great opportunities to really get to know the faculty for research and mentorship. With only 100 students in each cohort, its easier to get to know everyone and develop a support system through the grad process. I am not sure what you are looking for in a program but I keep highlighting support because when I was researching schools that was a really big deal to me.

I also like the internship placements but from what I hear they are very similar to USC and some of the Cal States. I have heard that UCLA's curriculum is going through some transitions. I do not know if this would be considered a negative or a positive but I think it is important to note.

Ultimately, the biggest sellers for me was cost and location. I could not find a reason to justify paying for USC. I also live on the westside and I wanted to stay in my apartment and not have to relocate my family.

In the end, both are great schools. So I think you will be okay with whichever one you choose. :)

Thank you so much for your feedback and response! Small cohort size is really important to me! From what I hear, USC has an incoming class of like 900+ students, which is outrageous! What specifically have you heard about UCLA's curriculum with regards to going through transition? I'm totally with you on the cost. Also, did you just drop by the department or did you schedule something? I live in Boston right now, but am from LA and I'm visiting campus next week. Lance has not gotten back to me about scheduling a time to meet with someone in the department and am unfortunately unable to attend the admitted students orientation. Thanks for your reply!

I totally hear you! I applied for the Dean's Leadership Scholarship, which is only 16,000. Nevertheless, it's still free money, so I hope I get it. I would be able to weigh how I'm gonna pay for USC if I actually knew if I got in! Still waiting to hear back from USC, UCLA, Berkeley and NYU! So tired of waiting, especially since all of my applications were submitted and completed in October and November (minus NYU). I will definitely choose UCLA or Berkeley if I get in!

Have you hard anything about the Dean's Leadership scholarship? It is a make it or break it for me and I am a bit concerned that I have not heard anything yet.

Have you hard anything about the Dean's Leadership scholarship? It is a make it or break it for me and I am a bit concerned that I have not heard anything yet.

I also applied for the Dean's leadership scholarship, but haven't heard back. I did, however, receive a $12k University Park campus scholarship via email this morning directly from SSW.

I just spoke with Amber from the USC Office of Admissions and she told me that all 10 recipients of the Dean's Leadership Scholarship have been notified. If we have not been notified, we were not selected as recipients. Bummer, right? UCLA it is!

I just spoke with Amber from the USC Office of Admissions and she told me that all 10 recipients of the Dean's Leadership Scholarship have been notified. If we have not been notified, we were not selected as recipients. Bummer, right? UCLA it is!

Word! And what was with that additional

scholarship application they sent out? I am so over applications! Especially when a crushing amount of debt is still a crushing amount of debt.

Berkeley, you come here to me now.

• 2 weeks later...

I also applied for the Dean's leadership scholarship, but haven't heard back. I did, however, receive a $12k University Park campus scholarship via email this morning directly from SSW.

@briefinterviews...did you apply for the university park campus scholarship? I don't recall applying for this. Do you remember? Have you decided against USC than? I have my heart set on USC but I have only received a 6,500 dollar scholarship so far. If I don't get more money it will be impossible for me to go. Do you know if they are still awarding more scholarships?

Seriously can't believe I haven't heard from Maryland yet...I submitted my app on December 16th. Maybe my decision got lost in the mail.

@roxyshoe

Have you tried contacting them? I heard a decision in about 6 weeks from when I applied.

-Bluebird86

@briefinterviews...did you apply for the university park campus scholarship? I don't recall applying for this. Do you remember? Have you decided against USC than? I have my heart set on USC but I have only received a 6,500 dollar scholarship so far. If I don't get more money it will be impossible for me to go. Do you know if they are still awarding more scholarships?

I didn't submit a separate application for the campus scholarship--it was just part of my financial aid package from the school. I'm not sure if they are awarding any more funds; your best bet is to probably contact the school directly to see if you can negotiate more aid. As for my own matriculation decision--I've decided not to attend USC, so maybe those funds will go back into the pool?

• 3 weeks later...

Welp I FINALLY heard from UM Baltimore. very indirectly, through an e-mail about financial stuff. I may have gotten a letter by now but I'm abroad, so. Still waiting on Columbia. lol did not ever imagine it would take this long.