Foreign Fulbright 2012 anybody?

Hi Everybody, I noticed that there isn't a Fulbright thread yet for this year for us foreigners, and was wondering if anybody else is biting their nails off waiting for answers from universities and from Fulbright.

Maybe we can worry together, and share useful tips, of what we know and what we don't know.

Any takers?

Do you mean the Fulbright Foreign Student Award? I got a notice in January saying that my application has been forwarded to the next stage and that I won't hear from them again until April 15, where the final decisions will be announced.

I have 6 applications sent and heard from two of them so far. Now waiting for the other results to be announced but as I already got accepted to a department of preference, I feel good right now and no worries :)

Great topic btw, thanks for it.

A question maybe: How much do you think average Fulbright stipend will be? I know it mostly depends on the State you will be living but any idea? Let's say New York, Florida and Arizona?

I'm a Fulbright scholar from Germany, but we can actually apply to our preferred universities individually. And our stipend does not vary with the state you'll be living in, but is fixed at $21.500. Some people get better stipends at about $30.000, but they are very, very rare.

Good to find fellow Fulbrighters here!

@Dea, I wish you good luck with the upcoming results. I know they have allocated a certain budget for every student but they have told us that if some Fulbrighters are offered extra scholarship or less tuition (like in-state tuition), they use the rest of the budget to help the others. I remember something like that. You may ask to the commission in Indonesia and see if it is same there. Worth a try!

@BruceWayne24 thanks for the heads up! $21.500 for 10 months I guess.

Where are the other foreign Fulbrighters? Show up and say "Hi" :)

I've been applied to 4 schools by IIE, and will only hear back once all of them get back to them. I'm scared that the cheapest school will be what Fulbright will pick (simply because it's the worst school of the bunch - and then I might have to cancel the whole thing), so I desperately needs the other schools to offer atleast some form of cost sharing.

So I'm sitting here waiting to hear from them, basically going nuts.

But I will say this, we're all are very lucky for this opportunity. I've said before that it feels like winning the lottery. With similar odds.

We choose the schools and the IIE submits applications on our behalf. We don't usually hear directly from universities, but in my case NYU contacted me last week, so I guess it depends on the school. Normally, the IIE receives the results and they contact the Fulbright Commission in Spain. The commission forwards us the results. For example, George Washington University released their decisions on March 9 but I received mine yesterday… 11 days later… I’m still waiting for three schools. What about you?

Yep, here the Fulbright comission chooses for you. Ofcourse you can always turn it down and still go to the school once you're accepted, which is what I might do if they decide to send me to a school outside of DC if I get one of the DC schools.

It's just a really long waiting game.

So, are fulbright grantees notified when other applicants are? Or do unis give early decisions for fulbrighters?

I don't think they give early decisions for fulbrighters although there may be rare exceptions. On the contrary, fulbrighters usually learn later because we can't simply log in to univ. account and check application status or colleges will not send direct mails to us. IIE gets the news first, they forward the result to Fulbright representative in your country and they let you know as soon as possible :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

I'm also grantees from Indonesia but still stuck in Holland for work. I'm almost freaked out since it's already april but I haven't received any news from IIE and I have to inform my company two months before quitting. Just got email from IIE that I "unofficially" accepted into Northwestern. Any idea why they said unofficially?

I already asked the local representative but as usual I receive no answer *sigh*

• 10 months later...

Really useful thread. Hope to see it more active. 

I got into Carnegie Mellon and Pratt (for studying Design) last year but I declined my acceptances because I wanted to see if I can get funding from the Fulbright program. Luckily, I won the grant and am now waiting to hear back from the four schools the Fulbright committee applied to on my behalf this year (which includes the two I got into last year). Carnegie Mellon is my first choice but the other three schools are great as well. 

Last year, I received acceptance decisions from CMU on March 14 and Pratt on March 24. A friend of mine (who also won the grant) has received a couple of acceptances from his business schools via IIE already.

Since I already have a good idea about the decisions-schedule for my design schools, I'm not too vexed about the lack of news but I really hope IIE will forward me the decisions as soon as they come because even one acceptance would put my mind at ease. I took a big risk declining my acceptances last year and I don't want to suffer for that decision. 

Good luck to all of you!

Hi everyone! Glad there are many of us here. I just had a disturbing email from amideast ( the IIE equivalent in the middle east) after finishing all applications saying that I have to be patient while they recieve news from all schools and negotiate and then choose for me!! I thought I would get to decide from the acceptances since they already approved those schools to begin with. I am very worried now that my school of choice (johns Hopkins) would accept me and they would send me to my safety school- for example just to save some bucks. I understand how lucky we are for this opportunity that I could have never afforded or went through with it if not for Fulbright but this waiting game and the uncertainty is really draining me. Any one here with a similar experience ? When do I start worrying ? And if the schools I applied on my own want me to decide before Fulbright has contacted me , what then? Good luck everybody with your process

Hi everyone! Glad there are many of us here. I just had a disturbing email from amideast ( the IIE equivalent in the middle east) after finishing all applications saying that I have to be patient while they recieve news from all schools and negotiate and then choose for me!! I thought I would get to decide from the acceptances since they already approved those schools to begin with. I am very worried now that my school of choice (johns Hopkins) would accept me and they would send me to my safety school- for example just to save some bucks. I understand how lucky we are for this opportunity that I could have never afforded or went through with it if not for Fulbright but this waiting game and the uncertainty is really draining me. Any one here with a similar experience ? When do I start worrying ? And if the schools I applied on my own want me to decide before Fulbright has contacted me , what then? Good luck everybody with your process

The Fulbright committee will decide which school you go to but they will take your preference into account. You will know all your admission decisions though and you might be able to influence where you go. Don't start worrying till the start of April as most schools send their decisions in March. 

Also, if you have the choice to go to your preferred school independently and you'd prefer that over a 'safety' school Fulbright wants you to go to, you should have enough time to make that decision.

Basically, hold tight till end of March.