Master of Teaching - OISE/UT

Red Bull89

Got accepted to I/S! I'll see you guys in September!

I actually STILL haven't received my acceptance letter in the mail, but long story short, I was led to ROSI and noticed that I was registered as "invited" to I/S for full-time.

So guys, if any of you are UofT grads, check out ROSI! My SGS profile hasn't been updated either.

Congrats!!! I'll see you there! :D

Congrats!!! I'll see you there! :D

:D Saweeeet. Which subject stream (if that's the correct term) have you been assigned? Math/Science or English/History?

I'm in J/I Science! Anyone else?

What subject stream are you in jmhparc?

:D Saweeeet. Which subject stream (if that's the correct term) have you been assigned? Math/Science or English/History?

I'm in J/I Science! Anyone else?

What subject stream are you in jmhparc?

Cool!

I'm in English/History. 

And I STILL haven't received my acceptance letter in the mail... Ridiculous. I might have to visit the school and pick it up myself, augh.

Cool!

I'm in English/History. 

And I STILL haven't received my acceptance letter in the mail... Ridiculous. I might have to visit the school and pick it up myself, augh.

I was given a deadline to respond to the offer so I would definitely call or go in!

I was given a deadline to respond to the offer so I would definitely call or go in!

Urgh. Great. Well, I called in and they had to send my offer of admission via e-mail in the form of a PDF file, lol...

My teachables are English and Science/Biology! I'm honestly so excited! I'm somewhat worried about keeping my average up :S I really hope they let it slide if it goes down just a little bit. Also trying to figure out housing for next year, because I am tired of commuting from Mississauga. BUT SO PUMPED FOR THIS PROGRAM! :D

My teachables are English and Science/Biology! I'm honestly so excited! I'm somewhat worried about keeping my average up :S I really hope they let it slide if it goes down just a little bit. Also trying to figure out housing for next year, because I am tired of commuting from Mississauga. BUT SO PUMPED FOR THIS PROGRAM! :D

You just need a mid B! :) Are you considering the grad house??

You just need a mid B! :) Are you considering the grad house??

I have looked into it, but my friend and I were planning on moving in together, which would probably work out better - IF we can actually find a place  <_<

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted!

I don't know if any of you are still reading this thread, but just wanted to drop in and say that I'm a second year M.T. student (J/I cohort) and would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the program. I look forward to meeting you all at our welcome day in the fall!

**Just a note about interview and application "fairness" that some of you have been debating here. It's too bad that some of you are bitter about your rejections (or about being accepted to a stream that wasn't your preference), but it's important to remember that the program is selective, the applicants who get to the interview stage are all qualified (seriously -- everyone has been either a classroom teaching assistant, a summer camp counsellor, a TA, or an ESL teacher abroad, etc -- those are the bare minimum for acceptance), and thinking that you've aced the interview isn't the same as your interviewers thinking you did (i.e. their thinking you showed how great a fit you would as a teacher candidate/grad student in the M.T.). 

I can tell you based on my cohort (and knowing the P/J and I/S cohorts fairly well, across both first and second year) that the adcomm does a great job of putting together stellar student cohorts ever year.  Just remember that all of the interviewers have themselves been teachers, vice-principals, principals, etc, in the formal schooling system, and that they are currently teacher educators at a top education faculty -- you have to trust that they know how to spot a strong teacher candidate for this specific program when they interact with one, and that their decision has nothing to do with whether you are blonde or brunette. I would suggest either being appreciative if you've been accepted to a stream or focusing your energy on reapplying next year with an even stronger argument for why you're a great fit for the program.

Edited by acarol

Can someone kindly give me some pointers as to what type of questions would be asked in the interview for U of T's master of teaching program? My nerves would thank you immensely. Thanks in advance

I applied for the Fall 2013 program (P/J sector). Can anyone whose been accepted tell me what types of questions to expect at the interview? This would be much appreciated!

Hi chattynatty and whitelotus -- have you already had your interviews? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi acarol!

We start up next week, and don't really have much information about what we'll learn in our first week, or how our classes work. Could you let us know what to expect with our first week, and how the 3 hour classes work? I.e. are there breaks during the 3 hours, does it usually run the full 3 hours, do professors provide slides or is everything hand-written, is it more lecturing or more hands-on, etc.?

I'll be doing J/I, specialization in science as an FYI :). I can't wait!

Hi acarol!

We start up next week, and don't really have much information about what we'll learn in our first week, or how our classes work. Could you let us know what to expect with our first week, and how the 3 hour classes work? I.e. are there breaks during the 3 hours, does it usually run the full 3 hours, do professors provide slides or is everything hand-written, is it more lecturing or more hands-on, etc.?

I'll be doing J/I, specialization in science as an FYI :). I can't wait!

Hey namdube,

The first years are trying something different for the first week this year than last year.  You'll have some basic orientation, some community-building teacher training, and spend one day observing in the classroom where you will eventually have your one month placement in November. Once classes start, you'll have them 9-12 and 1-4, Monday-Thursday. Sometimes you'll have Friday off and sometimes you'll have to come to campus for special conferences that cover topical issues such as Environmental Education.  The classes themselves always have a break midway through the 3 hour time slot. The profs provide lots of handouts, slides, notes, etc, and you will take a variety of handwritten or computer notes as well. All of the classes in first year have hands-on components, since they're more about the professionalization aspect (where second year is more graduate / research style).  This means you'll take all your "curriculum" courses: social sciences, literacy, math, science, etc. You'll also take courses in assessment policy and practices, in practitioner research, and in fundamentals of teaching.  You'll also take a course in your teachable alongside students from the BEd program. 

I don't know if you've already signed up for the mentorship program, but you should! First years who sign up are placed in small groups with a few second year students.  The small mentorship group meets a few times a month and your second year mentors are available to answer emails, meet for coffee -- your mentors are there to support you throughout your first year, basically.  I highly recommend participating in that.

Hope you're excited to start. See you next week!

Edited by acarol

• 5 months later...

Hey! 

So I just applied to the MT (P/J & J/I) and have been contacted for an interview. My friend however, applied to MT I/S and J/I levels and has yet to be contacted. 
My interview for the MT program will be on the 19th and apparently most of the people who look forward to working with the younger age group have an interview on this day also.
Does this mean that perhaps the I/S (or higher age groups) have interviews at later times? Or do they even have interviews at all?

I know its early still but I just want to know if my friend has hope :(

Thank you in advance!

I also applied for the MT (for J/I) but have not heard anything yet! I know it is very early, but I'm getting quite nervous about it!  :unsure: How did you hear from them?

Edited by cg08

Hey cg08. I got an e-mail on the 7th of Feb asking me to book an interview and I did so. Then they confirmed it and now I have to go in tomorrow :( super nervous!
I applied to p/j and j/i . So i might be thinking that perhaps they want to interview all the people who want to work with the smaller kids in person? And perhaps the individuals who want to work with older kids may be via some other mean? 

I just really hope its something like that so theres still a chance! I read on the website the interviews (if anything) are mid feb & the only day I know for sure people have interviews are tomorrow and haven't heard of any other days :S

Thanks MAMT, I'm hoping I still have a chance! So far, everyone who I have heard of getting an interview applied for p/j. Good luck on your interview tomorrow!

Does anyone know anyone who applied for j/i or i/s? Did they get an interview?

Hey,

A small update. My friend and I got the residence email and such earlier today. My friend hasn't gotten anything else besides this email. Therefore, no other response from the MT liaison or call/email etc.

This is probably nothing significant and just a mass email but regardless makes everything much stressful!

Amazing thread!

I had an interview this week too! I think it went ok. I was told by another applicant who was there that she thought it was a mixed group of people being interviewed for different age groups. The odd thing was that I was interviewed for p.j when it was not even my first choice of age cohort. I haven't been contacted for my main choice ... So maybe it wasn't true.

About the email, has anyone else received it?

I got the residence email as well. I don't know why they would send that out to all applicants, it made me so much more nervous!

It seems like only the p.j. applicants or those who may receive a p.j. offer, even if it wasn't their first choice, got interviewed? I don't know.

All I know is that I am really nervous :( But I'm really glad I found this thread!