Not heard from any schools?!?!

mcvolins

Thanks! I shall continue to wait and APPEAR to be patient :)

Lol. Appear patient? That boat sailed for me long ago...

I know the feeling! I feel this back and forth tug! Last night I had a dream I didn't get accepted which was terrifying, lol and then I had a dream I did get accepted, whih of course was ruined by waking up and realizing I probably won't hear any news today... I think this is slightly making me OCD on the email checking, lol!

I had three different dreams about Berkeley the other night, 30 minutes apart from each other. Grad applications should come with a surgeon general warning that it may cause insomnia, night terror, increased irritability...

Can I just say: I love this thread! What a prime example of the maturity and tact demonstrated by the applicants in this thread.

Way to go, y'all, for represeting MSW and not totally flaming tbird <3

While I understand tbird's frustration and anxiety, I agree that the tone could be considerably more palatable.

We have a supportive community here that will do great things in our field. I know I'm going to enjoy meeting students from other schools at field work and possibly working with some people on this forum in the future!

OMG I can totally relate. I had a dream that Berkeley let me see this Excel sheet that contained all the MSW/PhD applicants, and apparently only 5 people applied, but there were only three spots available, so they said that I definitely had a chance. Also, the Excel sheet had ratings that each person on the admissions board gave me ( on a scale from 1-5), I saw a couple of 0's :( How could someone give me no points!? Anyway, kind of glad it was a dream, but also the idea of only 5 people applying for 3 spots was also nice. Oh well, just keep waiting...

I am happy that i found this forum though. I would be driving my friends crazy constantly complaining/telling them about this waiting process, so it's nice to vent these thoughts/feelings to folks who are in the same boat :)

Oh no! That dream sounds intense! I agree...this forum does help. I've honestly learned a lot from the people in this forum! My goal is to always grow and better myself because I think that's what leadership calls for and as a social worker one of my goals is to display leadership for those around me. This forum excites me to be immersed in grad school with like minded thinkers Who have different goals so that I can learn from their experiences and grow even more!

I'm pretty sure my friends and family are hoping to hear back as much as I am so I find a different topic of conversation, lol! But most of my friends are applying to grad school too, so we're all in it together!

Lol. Appear patient? That boat sailed for me long ago...

I had three different dreams about Berkeley the other night, 30 minutes apart from each other. Grad applications should come with a surgeon general warning that it may cause insomnia, night terror, increased irritability...

We have a supportive community here that will do great things in our field. I know I'm going to enjoy meeting students from other schools at field work and possibly working with some people on this forum in the future!

YES!! this definitely needs a warning! I'm not on Pacific time so I read this forum about Berkeley pretty late last night because I had woken up. Then I saw people posting acceptances (awesome!) and then the WORST thing happened!!! I got an email from "The UC Berkeley School of Social Welfare" and I'm thinking "Yes! I'll find out now!". And then it was their Spring 2012 general email sent to anyone on their marketing list in their CRM. Womp, Womp :( and then I had the dreams! So yes, a warning is in order!

Yes, the insomnia is terrible! It has been hitting me hard lately. I am light sleeper anyway though.

Does anyone know if there are set deadlines to hear back from schools? I don't want to seem bothersome and constantly ask admissions what's going on with my application, but, say, if I don't hear from Columbia by the end of March should I contact them and ask them what's going on? Or should I wait until the end of April, May, June?

If you applied to CSUN, they don´t rap things up until sometime in May sounds like. I have no idea about Columbia.

Edited by allyba

Anyone heard back from UT Austin? I just got an email today telling me to check my status, and was relieved to finally hear from them, and then was completely crushed when I saw that they had just basically said they would send me a letter letting me know if I was missing anything!!

Ha! I know! That email floored me. It seemed so official. I have not heard back from UT yet either - but I know decisions have been going out. I called the school today and they told me my application was being reviewed (which I knew from the website) and that I should know within the next "couple of weeks". The woman I spoke also said that UT doesn't make its waitlist public, so if I haven't heard back in 2 weeks I should call her and ask in person. So that would probably apply to you as well. Fingers crossed!

Yup. I have a much higher gpa than the people getting accepted at the schools I applied to. I see people getting in with gpas that BARELY make the 3.0 cutoff. I really hate that social work programs are so experience heavy, which sucks, because I think gpa is more important. I have around 850 hours of verified experience, but in order to do well in graduate level coursework, gpa is a better indicator of success. (This is why you often hear that MSW programs are full of dimwitted students because acceptances usually go to experience heavy applicants instead of top students)

I got waitlisted at CSULB, but haven't heard from the other two programs I applied to. This is very aggravating because I contacted admissions at my top program and they said my review is complete but I have yet to receive a letter!!! Ugh. Other people have already heard back from my top choice (SDSU).

This post is SO problematic & offensive. Having an elitist deposition is DEFINITELY going to be a positive characteristic in your Social Work career!! Congrats on having a "much higher gpa than the people getting accepted at the schools I applied to."

FYI: I applied to CSULB last year and admissions told me the average applicant that was accepted had at least 1000 hours of social work related experience.

-Signed: one of those dimwitted, accepted, students B)

Maybe its your know-it-all attitude. Programs didn't want you to go in and tell professors how to run their course, admissions how to admit students and how you can't stand a bunch of dimwitted students. Here's a rhetorical question: If you'd got into SDSU by now, and you're a msw student, would you still view msw students dimwitted?

:D TWO SNAPS FOR THIS!!

Edited by Future MSW

"What? Did you whisper from the back? You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?"

Lots of haters on here... I thought social workers put their "heart into things". Funny how those that tore me apart place more value on experience than gpa...I guess all that experience didn't teach you how to be kind to others. *shrugs*

I never once personally attacked anyone, but I got nasty responses from people...maybe they are just insecure about their academic performance? I never directed frustration at anyone specifically. But I guess those that ripped me a new one will make the best social workers because their heart is in the right place.

I do not have an "elitist attitude". I think that was a pretty audacious inference. There is no tone on an online forum so some of these claims are a little ridiculous based on what I said. I didn't come here to start a fight and that's why I haven't replied for days. I didn't pick a fight, I simply stated my own opinion, somehow that is not ok.

Oh well, what can you do?

This post is SO problematic & offensive. Having an elitist deposition is DEFINITELY going to be a positive characteristic in your Social Work career!! Congrats on having a "much higher gpa than the people getting accepted at the schools I applied to."

FYI: I applied to CSULB last year and admissions told me the average applicant that was accepted had at least 1000 hours of social work related experience.

-Signed: one of those dimwitted, accepted, students B)

:D TWO SNAPS FOR THIS!!

Great attitude. :D

"What? Did you whisper from the back? You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?"

Lots of haters on here... I thought social workers put their "heart into things". Funny how those that tore me apart place more value on experience than gpa...I guess all that experience didn't teach you how to be kind to others. *shrugs*

I never once personally attacked anyone, but I got nasty responses from people...maybe they are just insecure about their academic performance? I never directed frustration at anyone specifically. But I guess those that ripped me a new one will make the best social workers because their heart is in the right place.

I do not have an "elitist attitude". I think that was a pretty audacious inference. There is no tone on an online forum so some of these claims are a little ridiculous based on what I said. I didn't come here to start a fight and that's why I haven't replied for days. I didn't pick a fight, I simply stated my own opinion, somehow that is not ok.

Oh well, what can you do?

Great attitude. :D

Guess that's why we've been accepted and well, you...

Yeah.

Even though I doubt this is it - I'm sure they're just moving slowly with your app (maybe even because they are considering you for a special scholarship), maybe something else with your app is not up to par, like your essays and letters of rec, since those really matter too. Having 850 hours of experience is WAY more than I and I think a lot of people getting into good schools have, so I doubt that's the issue. Also, maybe it is just something with those particular schools weighing gpa not highly, because I know plenty of others do.

Thank you. You're one of the only ones that was kind to me. I know you'll be a great social worker. Best of luck, my dear. :D

To be fair to tbird here. I must say I get that the process is infuriating and sometimes doesn´t seem fair. It also feels deeply personal when in reality a lot of elements can impact an admissions decision including the time at which you turned your application in.

I get the lashing out too. I hope and am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, that you feel you have a certain amount of anonymity on this board and are lashing out here rather than doing so in other areas of your life.

I never lashed out at anyone specifically. I never singled out ANYONE. I really don't understand the hostility...

Maybe its your know-it-all attitude. Programs didn't want you to go in and tell professors how to run their course, admissions how to admit students and how you can't stand a bunch of dimwitted students. Here's a rhetorical question: If you'd got into SDSU by now, and you're a msw student, would you still view msw students dimwitted?

No...how do I have a "know-it-all attitude"? Excuse me for being a good student and valuing academic success over experience. I didn't realize that you took that as a personal attack. Hostile much?

Not ONE of my posts could even be considered hostile until you posted your latest rantings. In my first post, I stated why GPA is not weighted more heavily. In my second post, I explained that you can't judge others based on their stats and that you should resist taking your anger out on others who have already gotten in. In my 3rd post I said a date. And in my last post, I got fed up with your immature attitude and simply stated something.

Not ONE of my posts could even be considered hostile until you posted your latest rantings. In my first post, I stated why GPA is not weighted more heavily. In my second post, I explained that you can't judge others based on their stats and that you should resist taking your anger out on others who have already gotten in. In my 3rd post I said a date. And in my last post, I got fed up with your immature attitude and simply stated something.

First, some schools DO weigh GPA more heavily (typically higher ranked schools, but not always. As a matter of fact, my top choice DOES rank gpa higher, which is one of the reasons I chose it)

Second, I never once judged anyone based on their stats. I said that programs typically are filled with dimwitted students because lots of MSW programs let in students with low gpa. (Not always a determining factor of intelligence but often is) I know several LCSW's that have said that MSW programs usually are not very academically rigourous because (and here's where I will actually get offensive because frankly, you're really starting to annoy me. You are one sore winner. You've been accepted, stop picking on me. I did nothing to you.) they let in stupid students with low gpas just because they accrued a lot of hours doing human services-related work. (This does not represent any sort of accomplishment or merit, simply that someone has hours)

Third, you're judging me and how you think I am. You do not know me. You do not know what kind of person I am. You haven't read my personal statement. Talk about pot calling the kettle black.

You should really brush up on your reading comprehension skills. It'll help you catch up with the smart students in your program. Seriously, piss off.

First, some schools DO weigh GPA more heavily (typically higher ranked schools, but not always. As a matter of fact, my top choice DOES rank gpa higher, which is one of the reasons I chose it)

Second, I never once judged anyone based on their stats. I said that programs typically are filled with dimwitted students because lots of MSW programs let in students with low gpa. (Not always a determining factor of intelligence but often is) I know several LCSW's that have said that MSW programs usually are not very academically rigourous because (and here's where I will actually get offensive because frankly, you're really starting to annoy me. You are one sore winner. You've been accepted, stop picking on me. I did nothing to you.) they let in stupid students with low gpas just because they accrued a lot of hours doing human services-related work. (This does not represent any sort of accomplishment or merit, simply that someone has hours)

Third, you're judging me and how you think I am. You do not know me. You do not know what kind of person I am. You haven't read my personal statement. Talk about pot calling the kettle black.

You should really brush up on your reading comprehension skills. It'll help you catch up with the smart students in your program. Seriously, piss off.

Congratulations, you have proved a point, and not the one you were trying to make.

Edited by angelajeanx3