Feel like I bombed my inteview

lalabooks

I know there is nothing to do about it now, but I feel like I just did terrible on my group interview. First of all, I get soooo nervous and red and blotchy. It's been happening my entire life! I've already been accepted to a program, so I'm not so much worried about not pursuing my degree, just looking for some moral support and advice on the subject. I have another interview next week and would like to leave feeling a little better!

Does anybody have those physical things happen to them as well? If so, how do you deal? Any other advice would be great. Like I said I've been accepted to TC at Columbia so I feel good...but I still get ridiculously and noticeable nervous! Please Help!!

A lot of people tend to crack under pressure and need to prepare in different ways to avoid feeling like crap after interviews or public speaking events. A lot of times it's about reassuring yourself right before the interview that you got to this point for a reason and you're the best person for this program. Remind yourself of your best qualities, personal traits, things that get your mind off of the "what ifs," etc. Think positive. And avoid thinking negatively about previous interviews. It isn't the end of the world. Interviewers understand perfectly that your nerves get the best of you; they will look at your application materials along with this interview and you may very well impress them on both counts.

I absolutely dread interviews and especially hate leaving them feeling like I didn't prepare beforehand. I normally have to practice what I plan on saying at least a day before and really study my credentials (along with how they link to that particular program, of course). I guess when I get nervous I forget about what it is I need to really highlight; why the program should select me over the other extremely competitive candidates. All of that goes down the drain because I start to second guess myself and sound awkward/uncomfortable/etc. So, for me, it's crucial that I remind myself of how my interest and qualifications got me to the interview.

This sounds awfully vague but I hope it leads you to a set of techniques that help you prepare and feel less anxious the day of your interview. This article may also be of some help: http://www.uchicago....20101025_choke/

Edited by kekbatter

I can relate! I also blush very easily- sometimes not even when I'm nervous or embarrassed about anything. But when I tell a story, or when people are looking at me. It really is a dreadful thing to deal with. When this happens, I normally just try to relax and take a deep breath.

Most of the time in professional/academic situations this happens to me when I am underprepared. If I know what I am talking about and feel confident of course it's not as bad. What's more, it seems like it got worse over the last few years ;(

Basically just know that many people struggle with this and it doesnt seem like there is a fool proof cure. Just try to relax and be yourself!

I don't know how old you are, but I found this got better as I got older. I guess I just got used to talking to people in different situations. I'm not saying I never get nervous or self-conscious, but I get over it faster and I seem to care less about it.

So this might sound kind of strange but I often use "progressive muscle relaxation" to help combat anxiety with public speaking like things. You should be able to google it, and it's a technique often used to reduce physical responses to stress. It involves a whole process of tightening and releasing specific muscles while focusing of the buildup and release of tension, plus deep relaxing breathing. I use it to help fall asleep on occasion butttt I've realized that after "practicing" it a bit, I can go through a few of the steps in public and calm myself down. I usually get super hot, red, and shaky when nervous but before i have to speak, if I focus on deep breathing, and clenching and releasing my foot/calf/etc muscles I can reduce my stress response. It's not like a magic cure but it does help! Or you might be able to find something similar that works for you (such as using visualizing meditation at home, and then doing a quick 2 minute meditation before entering a stressful situation). Sorry if that sounds hokey or whatever haha.

I get migranes, shakes and bad runs. Nothing better than running away from your interviewers to the bathroom and leave them wondering if they did something wrong.

For my recent interview I practiced speaking an hour a day a week or two before in front of a mirror to help reduce the shaking. I still got migranes and the runs but at least I didn't shake while I talked.

Anyway, I'm sure the interviewers understand we're nervous they probably don't understand foot in mouth syndrome though.

• 4 years later...

Joining Toastmasters, a public speaking club, helped me immensely. I just tried to do as many speeches as possible and exposing myself to public speaking has made it much easier. Also, we practice prepared and impromptu speeches so that covers both types of situations that made me really nervous. I no longer blush as much or get as shaky and breathless as before.

And toastmasters is really affordable. It's only 7.50 per month and you can visit as many clubs as you want for free to find the right match.

Also remember that the professors you're talking to are human beings, too. They know you're nervous and under a lot of pressure. They've probably had friends in their lives who have had similar problems. Any decent professor won't hold that against you (why would they?). They're going to just consider your research interests and how they fit into the program.