Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

How about the chemistry in Carnegie Mellon

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wangchem

wangchem

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBeijing
  • Program:chemistry

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

I guess it is a wonderful university but it is not famous in chemistry. I just got an offer from them with TA stipend. My major research interest involves polymer chemistry and polymer materials. So is CMU a good place for chemistry PhD? I also got an offer from U Tennessee while I guess CMU should be much better in all aspects. Thank you guys. I am eager to all information and comments since I am an international student who cannot pay a visit to my future schools.

#2 HaElkoshi

HaElkoshi

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:Chemistry

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

I don't know anything about U Tennessee, but I can tell you that while CMU is a fine school in general, it is not even viewed as being the best chemistry school in Pittsburgh (that distinction would go to U Pitt). That said, I visited both Pitt and CMU, and I can tell you that I got much better vibes at CMU, they really seem to care about their students there, while Pitt came across as somewhat more removed. In any event, CMU is hardly a bad school in the sciences, so if you do well there I think it should open plenty of doors.

If you're interested in polymers, I think the big name there is Tomek Kowalewski, http://www.chem.cmu....ups/kowalewski/, check out his website and see if it's up your alley.

PM me if you need more info.

#3 AbnormallyLarge

AbnormallyLarge

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Program:Physical Chemistry

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:00 AM

Krzysztof Matyjaszewski is going to eventually win the nobel prize for his polymer chemistry research.

Edited by AbnormallyLarge, 22 May 2012 - 01:00 AM.

#4 prolixity

prolixity

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

Krzysztof Matyjaszewski is going to eventually win the nobel prize for his polymer chemistry research.

You're assuming that they'll finally start handing out chemistry nobel prizes for work in chemistry. I think that's a big assumption.
"It is probably prolixity following my every post (including this one) and voting down all of my posts so he can feel better about himself...If I had to guess, he would probably delete this post too since he is too embarrass.. As you can see, all prolixity does is troll and contributes very little." - Chaospaladin

"You don't have to waste your time apologizing to Prolixity. Prolixity has trolled me as well as others several times. Prolixity also sometimes has inappropriate tones when people ask him questions or respond to his questions. " -- Chaospaladin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users