Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

Boulder, CO

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 lumbarmoose

lumbarmoose

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Application Season:2013 Spring

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

aelizabeth, which apartments did you look at? The ones given on the uni housing website (Bear Creek Apartments etc)?

I did look at the ones through the University and those prices seemed fairly reasonable (though still high) to me. However I was scanning some apartment listing sites for off campus complexes and I saw studios going for as high as $1400 a month. Yikes!

#42 avicus

avicus

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationColorado
  • Program:Electrical Engineering

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:14 AM

I did look at the ones through the University and those prices seemed fairly reasonable (though still high) to me. However I was scanning some apartment listing sites for off campus complexes and I saw studios going for as high as $1400 a month. Yikes!

Yup, I saw those too. I will most probably be sharing a 2/3 bedroom townhouse, it's only $700-800 per room, (and that's on the easy-to-find websites)
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring. - Alexander Pope

#43 lumbarmoose

lumbarmoose

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Yup, I saw those too. I will most probably be sharing a 2/3 bedroom townhouse, it's only $700-800 per room, (and that's on the easy-to-find websites)

Not bad by Boulder standards! How did you go about finding roommates? I'll be conducting the entire housing/roommate search from another state so I'm still trying to figure out how exactly to go about all this!

#44 stell4

stell4

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:Some Science

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

I'm also looking at Boulder and investigating housing options. Is the Mapleton area nice? I'm just trying to figure out the boundaries of the "the Hill." Thanks!

Mapleton ave is a good area. The shops and restaurants part of the Hill is Brodway, Collage and 13th, and then a bit down Broadway till about University Ave.

If you're trying to avoid living in that area I would stay at least two or three blocks away in any direction. I would also look up where the frat houses are around that area and keep a distance from them if you're looking for a quieter and safer area.

#45 slipperydevil

slipperydevil

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:22 AM

Mapleton ave is a good area. The shops and restaurants part of the Hill is Brodway, Collage and 13th, and then a bit down Broadway till about University Ave.

If you're trying to avoid living in that area I would stay at least two or three blocks away in any direction. I would also look up where the frat houses are around that area and keep a distance from them if you're looking for a quieter and safer area.

Thanks, stell4. That was very helpful!

#46 Athenrein

Athenrein

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL
  • Program:Linguistics

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

I'll likely be moving to Boulder for Fall as well. (I still have to decide if an unfunded MA is worth it, but that's a discussion for another thread...) What's parking like on campus? Here in Gainesville it's pretty awful, even if you have a permit. I have a car and would be fine bringing it if it's more affordable to live outside Boulder, but if the drive/parking is bad, it might be worth some money to avoid the hassle.
Harvard, Stanford, UC Berkeley, University of Colorado at Boulder (accepted! ...for MA without funding), University of Washington

#47 SomedaySLP

SomedaySLP

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO
  • Program:Master's in Speech Pathology

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:51 AM

I'll likely be moving to Boulder for Fall as well. (I still have to decide if an unfunded MA is worth it, but that's a discussion for another thread...) What's parking like on campus? Here in Gainesville it's pretty awful, even if you have a permit. I have a car and would be fine bringing it if it's more affordable to live outside Boulder, but if the drive/parking is bad, it might be worth some money to avoid the hassle.

If you want to pay for a permit, parking isn't bad, though it would really depend if there's a good lot centrally located by your classes. The large lots tend to be on the edges of campus, with less parking in the central areas.

There are LOTS of park-and-rides in and around Boulder though so I would really recommend using those and taking the bus into campus so that you wouldn't have to worry about parking at all. The public transportation in Boulder is pretty decent and your tuition pays for a bus pass. I even commuted via bus between Boulder and Denver (living and going to school in Boulder, working in Denver) for 6 months and it wasn't bad at all.
Decision: University of Washington Med-SLP

#48 mintless

mintless

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX
  • Program:Communications

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:04 AM

I am most likely going to be attending CU-Boulder this fall and I recently went on a visit and got terrible reception on my phone! I use AT&T and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience/if anyone knows who has good coverage in Boulder? Thanks in advance!!

#49 alicejcw

alicejcw

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN
  • Program:Speech-Language Pathology

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

I am most likely going to be attending CU-Boulder this fall and I recently went on a visit and got terrible reception on my phone! I use AT&T and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience/if anyone knows who has good coverage in Boulder? Thanks in advance!!

I'm on Sprint and had no trouble with service while I was there a few weeks ago :)
Applying for Fall 2012: Northwestern, Vanderbilt, CU Boulder
Rejected: Northwestern, Vanderbilt
Accepted: CU Boulder
Attending Boulder (obviously)!

#50 SomedaySLP

SomedaySLP

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO
  • Program:Master's in Speech Pathology

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

AT&T is kind of spotty in parts of CO. Verizon seems to have the best coverage state-wide. I had it in Boulder and never had any trouble, but my friends with AT&T and especially T-Mobile tended to have more issues.
Decision: University of Washington Med-SLP

#51 mintless

mintless

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX
  • Program:Communications

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

Thank you both!!!

#52 Faraday

Faraday

Macchiato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Program:Chemistry

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

I've been scoping out the craigslits of the three potential places I could be attending grad school in the fall, and I see there are already a lot of places in Boulder listed for fall pre-lease. I won't visit the school until early March, so I wouldn't be able to start committing to anything until shortly after that. How concerned should I be about finding a place then if they are already listing places now?

Edited by Faraday, 07 February 2013 - 11:12 PM.

Applied to chemistry PhD programs in fall 2012

Feel free to message me with any questions.

#53 virmundi

virmundi

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Program:Ph.D. History

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

If you want to pay for a permit, parking isn't bad, though it would really depend if there's a good lot centrally located by your classes. The large lots tend to be on the edges of campus, with less parking in the central areas.

There are LOTS of park-and-rides in and around Boulder though so I would really recommend using those and taking the bus into campus so that you wouldn't have to worry about parking at all. The public transportation in Boulder is pretty decent and your tuition pays for a bus pass. I even commuted via bus between Boulder and Denver (living and going to school in Boulder, working in Denver) for 6 months and it wasn't bad at all.

Yes -- this for sure. I would say that of the lots, the dirt parking lot behind the football stadium is the best deal and always has parking available (in my experience). It's lot 168. It is a rather bracing climb up a steep hill to get onto campus proper, but you can enjoy crossing lovely Boulder Creek and appreciate the beauty that is the Boulder campus and the mountains while getting a nice little walk in as you head to your destination. I really enjoyed those walks a lot and it was -- bar none -- the cheapest way to park on campus itself.

Park-and-ride is definitely the way to go if you don't need a campus permit though for some reason!

Edited by virmundi, 08 February 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#54 Vicki

Vicki

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA
  • Application Season:2013 Fall
  • Program:Theatre PhD

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I've been scoping out the craigslits of the three potential places I could be attending grad school in the fall, and I see there are already a lot of places in Boulder listed for fall pre-lease. I won't visit the school until early March, so I wouldn't be able to start committing to anything until shortly after that. How concerned should I be about finding a place then if they are already listing places now?

This, exactly! I've been accepted to CU, and it's my first choice, so assuming that funding works out, I will be moving to Boulder this summer. I, too, am concerned that most places have started pre-leasing, and I am worried that I won't be able to secure a decent place if I don't lease soon. I'm currently working on my thesis, so I'd rather not visit until after the deposit deadline in April, but this might be too late. 

Hopefully someone will respond to this question!

University of Pittsburgh, Theatre & Performance Studies Ph.D., expected 2018

#55 aulait

aulait

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Locationabout to change
  • Program:Ph.D. Political Science, IR

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

This, exactly! I've been accepted to CU, and it's my first choice, so assuming that funding works out, I will be moving to Boulder this summer. I, too, am concerned that most places have started pre-leasing, and I am worried that I won't be able to secure a decent place if I don't lease soon. I'm currently working on my thesis, so I'd rather not visit until after the deposit deadline in April, but this might be too late. 

Hopefully someone will respond to this question!

I've been in Boulder about three years, three different apartments. Looking in March or April is totally fine. Boulder does get started early, but I think a lot of people are looking for places on The Hill, etc., so if you're even slightly flexible about location, you should have plenty of options when you come visit. Rent is high in Boulder, but campus is pretty much surrounded by mainly student-occupied apartments, so I think the owners start showing places as soon as they know students have started working out next year's living situation. I'd start to worry if you don't have a place by the beginning of the summer, but really, I promise you, the whole pre-leasing thing goes on for quite a while. Good luck! I'm ready to move on, but Boulder is a great town.

#56 Vicki

Vicki

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

I've been in Boulder about three years, three different apartments. Looking in March or April is totally fine. Boulder does get started early, but I think a lot of people are looking for places on The Hill, etc., so if you're even slightly flexible about location, you should have plenty of options when you come visit. Rent is high in Boulder, but campus is pretty much surrounded by mainly student-occupied apartments, so I think the owners start showing places as soon as they know students have started working out next year's living situation. I'd start to worry if you don't have a place by the beginning of the summer, but really, I promise you, the whole pre-leasing thing goes on for quite a while. Good luck! I'm ready to move on, but Boulder is a great town.

Ooh, thank you! That's great to know. I'm hoping for outside of The Hill--do you have suggestions? I've scoured the forums here, but I'd love to hear something more recent. I've heard some good things about the Table Mesa area--what do you think?

#57 aulait

aulait

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Locationabout to change
  • Program:Ph.D. Political Science, IR

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Ooh, thank you! That's great to know. I'm hoping for outside of The Hill--do you have suggestions? I've scoured the forums here, but I'd love to hear something more recent. I've heard some good things about the Table Mesa area--what do you think?

I like the Broadway and Table Mesa intersection area, personally. It's where I live now, actually.  :) Sadly, it's just a touch too far for walking comfort--approx 40 min from the main campus buildings--but there are three or four busses that go straight down Broadway, meaning you never have to wait more than about 10 minutes for a bus if you're headed to campus at a normal time of day. It's also no problem at all if you have a bike, which like everyone in Boulder does. Broadway also leads straight into downtown, so it's pretty easy to get to and from the night-life, when you need to. Also, comments about the grocery store are still right, it's right on the intersection, so that's nice. I'm not sure what price-range your looking for, but I'll give you websites for the two main rental management companies I know of that operate Broadway/Table Mesa. (1) http://www.theboulde...apartments.com/ and (2) http://rentbouldernow.com. (The 2nd does other locations too, but anything on Lashley Ln is going to be Broadway/Table Mesa.) There are also a lot of houses in the area that I'm guessing get rented out by individual owners.

I'm with you on The Hill, it's where all the greek life is, so it's pretty much a constant shit show. Not the nicest for grad life. But you might also want to check out the area just east of campus. I lived in a building my first year that was on 29th and Baseline-ish. It was fairly cheap, fairly nice and fairly quiet. And actually a little closer to campus than where I am now. I've never lived north of campus, though there are a lot of people who do. (I'm a big walker, and there are A LOT of vertical feet between where campus is and where downtown is. In other words, I've always been reluctant to live down there because walking to school in the morning would be killer.)

I'm not sure what else I can tell you, but I'll check back and try and answer any other questions you might have. I'm currently trying to figure out how to look for a place in Philadelphia, so I'm hoping that any help I can give might come back to me on the Philly thread.  :rolleyes:

#58 virmundi

virmundi

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Program:Ph.D. History

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

I like the Broadway and Table Mesa intersection area, personally. It's where I live now, actually.  :) Sadly, it's just a touch too far for walking comfort--approx 40 min from the main campus buildings--but there are three or four busses that go straight down Broadway, meaning you never have to wait more than about 10 minutes for a bus if you're headed to campus at a normal time of day. It's also no problem at all if you have a bike, which like everyone in Boulder does. Broadway also leads straight into downtown, so it's pretty easy to get to and from the night-life, when you need to. Also, comments about the grocery store are still right, it's right on the intersection, so that's nice. I'm not sure what price-range your looking for, but I'll give you websites for the two main rental management companies I know of that operate Broadway/Table Mesa. (1) http://www.theboulde...apartments.com/ and (2) http://rentbouldernow.com. (The 2nd does other locations too, but anything on Lashley Ln is going to be Broadway/Table Mesa.) There are also a lot of houses in the area that I'm guessing get rented out by individual owners.

I'm with you on The Hill, it's where all the greek life is, so it's pretty much a constant shit show. Not the nicest for grad life. But you might also want to check out the area just east of campus. I lived in a building my first year that was on 29th and Baseline-ish. It was fairly cheap, fairly nice and fairly quiet. And actually a little closer to campus than where I am now. I've never lived north of campus, though there are a lot of people who do. (I'm a big walker, and there are A LOT of vertical feet between where campus is and where downtown is. In other words, I've always been reluctant to live down there because walking to school in the morning would be killer.)

I'm not sure what else I can tell you, but I'll check back and try and answer any other questions you might have. I'm currently trying to figure out how to look for a place in Philadelphia, so I'm hoping that any help I can give might come back to me on the Philly thread.  :rolleyes:

To add a little to this great description of the area around Broadway/Table Mesa -- there are some really decent places to eat right there. A great, unpretentious breakfast place, several restaurants including a brewery that serves great burgers and an Indian restaurant that has a good lunch buffet... in short, while there isn't a night life, there are some really nice amenities right there if you feel the need for some vindaloo, a nice egg scramble, or something like that... My best friend lived in this area for several years and we had a lot of nice moments in that little area, very conveniently located near his home.

#59 thebeatgoeson

thebeatgoeson

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • Program:MA (Current)

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Is downtown Boulder more expensive than the area around campus?  Any thoughts on primo locations for riding your bike out of your back door and up some of the more impressive climbs in the area?  A lot of great information here!

Currently: MA student

Accepted: Minnesota, Colorado

Rejected:  Wisconsin, UNC Chapel Hill, Brown, Maryland, Michigan

Waitlisted:

???: 

Interests: Early Modern Women's Writing, Literature and Science, Feminist Science Studies, Queer Pedagogies

#60 Vicki

Vicki

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

This is fantastic info--thanks all! One question about the Table Mesa/Broadway area: Boulder Creek looks awesome but perhaps out of my price range. Can anyone comment on the Park Mesa Apts? They seem decent/affordable, but they have a terrible reputation on apartmentratings.com. Anyone familiar with them?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users