NYU- Silver School of Social Work

missdanielle

I haven't seen much input on this forum on what you guys think about NYU. I've noticed that quite a few of us have applied there but there hasn't been much discussion.

I applied to NYU on a whim without being able to do any research on the program itself.

Can anyone give me any input on the school, city, program?

NYU has a strong clinical msw program. They have great internship opportunities, for clinical purposes even better than columbia internships. There is an admitted students day this thursday where you can go to the school and learn more about it. I applied because my advisor told me that it would be a good match school for me, and I live a half hour away so it would be an easy commute.

The location of NYU is great! It is right in the village. Theres great shopping, restaurants, and right next to Silver School building there is a nice park, which are nice to come by in NYC. It is also a safe area.

I am waiting on NYU, I have been told the decision is coming "this week" for 3 weeks.

I intend on working part time while in school. In NYC I have no idea how else people would afford to live, other than taking out an extra 30 grand in living expense loans. I currently work full time and wait tables at night, I will be leaving the full time job and continuing to serve 3-4 shifts a week.

I'm waiting for NYU also! I'm beginning to lose hope. I submitted on February 6th and it was complete as of February 16th. I also hear great things about their program especially the great clinical/internship opportunities. arcoventry, when did you submit your application?

I'm waiting for NYU also! I'm beginning to lose hope. I submitted on February 6th and it was complete as of February 16th. I also hear great things about their program especially the great clinical/internship opportunities. arcoventry, when did you submit your application?

I submitted 12/22, but then they lost my transcript and my application was updated with "Application complete as of 2/14". Right now my application says "Your application is complete and sent to the Faculty Review Committee for review." :( I had to send in my $250 to Hunter, I was even late for the deadline holding out hope I'd hear from NYU but I don't want to risk not being able to go to either.

NYU sent out their first letters of admission this past week. Once you receive the letter they give you two weeks to either accept or decline. After those two weeks I believe another wave of acceptance letters will be sent out depending how many people don't accept their offers of admission. A friend of mine in the program says that is how they did it his year and the year after him (2011 and 2010).

One thing I don't like is how little time they give you to respond to their acceptance offer, I still wont hear from other schools in the time frame. But I guess it is NYU so they can do these kinds of things.

Katy8483,

Hunter gave me 2 weeks as well. I asked for an extension and by the time they replied to me I was begging for forgiveness that it was late. $250 is a lot to prospective graduate students. If I get into NYU I'll lose that, not to mention the other schools we are waiting on!

NYU sent out their first letters of admission this past week. Once you receive the letter they give you two weeks to either accept or decline. After those two weeks I believe another wave of acceptance letters will be sent out depending how many people don't accept their offers of admission. A friend of mine in the program says that is how they did it his year and the year after him (2011 and 2010).

One thing I don't like is how little time they give you to respond to their acceptance offer, I still wont hear from other schools in the time frame. But I guess it is NYU so they can do these kinds of things.

What!? So basically those who got accepted already found out and now the others are going to compete for the spaces available? Kind of like a wait-list, but not?

arcoventry - I know! UPENN gave me until April 15th to decide which I thought was good because it gave me over two months from hearing from them to hear from other schools before I had to pay them any money. NYU is $200 which is a lot of money to just throw away basically if you decide to attend another school. I sent an email to NYU asking if extensions are possible but have yet to hear back.

rjose - I mean dont take my word as written in stone, that is just what someone in the program told me, and when I got my acceptance on Thursday, so did my friend and we applied over a month apart, so it lined up with what I had heard previously

Yeah I was getting worried too Megan because a lot of folks were receiving decisions way before, but hang in there since obviously they are not done accepting folks.

$17,000 is a LOT, LOT, LOT of money! Congrats! Are you going to NYU vmpancucci?

Congrats to everyone who was accepted. I am still waiting on a decision...3 months exactly. I am almost set on going to Hunter, but I can't help daydreaming about getting some huge grant from NYU and going there instead x)

Edited by arcoventry

I don't think I'll be going to NYU. I just cannot justify the 60k + loans I would have to take out. I was hoping they would offer me more money :( I really love New York and was hoping I would venture on a new experience, but I also want to be financially responsible.

Good luck to all those who haven't heard yet, and congrats to all those who got in and are going!

• 2 weeks later...

Likewise. My application was submitted on the 6th, complete on the 9th and the online application status still reads "Your application is complete and sent to the Faculty Review Committee for review." I hope we hear back soon! At this point, I don't care what the news is either way. I'm just dying for a response! :mellow:

Is it safe to say that a no response at this point means a rejection? I'm still seeing the "Faculty Review" message when I log into my account and when I call the school they can't offer more information.

So I gave in and emailed admissions. For anyone else who's still waiting, here's the response I received:

"I am very sorry the process is taking so long for you. We try to get our decisions out faster - but are subject to the pace of the faculty readers and sometimes it takes longer than we would like. Yours should be complete very soon. We hope to have all Full Time decisions out by the end of April if not sooner."

Edited by blurrmewild

I've been accepted to NYU but really have my heart set on UIC (but have not heard yet), I put in my $200 deposit but basically if I don't get into UIC than I am debating between Loyola University in Chicago or NYU, I could live expense free in Chicago but the tuition is by no means cheap at Loyola. I didn't get money at either places (as far as I know). I'm having a really hard time deciding and am really hoping I hear from UIC soon! Can't decide if going to NYU would be worth it...