Oxford, MS

sobeobe

You know what... I just remembered, the last few months I lived in Mississippi, Megabus added a stop to Oxford, so you actually MIGHT be able to take a Megabus up to Memphis, though I don't see the city listed on the Megabus website anymore, so they may have given up on Oxford. The schedule is limited, and you're dealing with Megabus, which is notorious for being late (I once waited four hours for a bus to NoLa that never came), but it may be there if you need it. Give them a call and see if they're still running the Mississippi route.

Ah, the joys of public transportation in a rural town.

Edited by Academicat

What off campus housing option is closest to campus and activities?

I'm kinda confused?

I'm an international student.

Thanks

What off campus housing option is closest to campus and activities?

I'm kinda confused?

I'm an international student.

Thanks

If you use a website like apartmentguide.com or apartments.com there are tons of complexes listed. Most, if not all, of them are on the OUT (local bus that serves campus) and they typically say how close they are to various shops and restaurants. You can also look on Google maps of the area; they show complexes on the map and their proximity to campus.

Because I haven't yet moved to Oxford either, I don't know where the bus stops, but here's the city bus site: http://www.oxfordms.net/visitors/transit/bus-routes-a-schedules.html. So, if the apartment complex is on the bus route you should be able to go anywhere else the bus stops.

Additionally, the UM housing website lists on-campus housing for grad students here: http://studenthousing.olemiss.edu/communities/. The site includes information on nearby off-campus housing as well. Also, it looks like the UM is looking for graduate student community directors if that is something you would be interested in: http://studenthousing.olemiss.edu/graduate-student-positions/.

Good luck with your housing search!

Edited by InHacSpeVivo

• 3 weeks later...

University trails seems to be my choice.

Read dome good reviews and it's highly recommended by someone on here.

Any idea where I can get a guarantor?

I'd certainly hate having to pay hotel bills for a week before I can get my graduate coordinator to sign on my behalf.

University trails seems to be my choice.

Read dome good reviews and it's highly recommended by someone on here.

Any idea where I can get a guarantor?

I'd certainly hate having to pay hotel bills for a week before I can get my graduate coordinator to sign on my behalf.

I've had incredibly positive experiences with my grad coordinator. Have you contacted yours to see if he or she would be willing to vouch for you before the semester starts?

• 1 year later...

Ole Miss undergrad, absolutely hated the place, but mostly for personal reasons. I'll try to be objective, though.

+ mostly warm, no winter, lots of nature trails/hikes around;

+ bars and everything; those who are into blues and country seem to like it;

+ except for housing and nightlife, it's rather cheap;

+ pretty decent (for a small town) in-city bus system, bike lanes, etc.;

+ baseball, football and tailgating, again, if you're into it;

- again, the location: hellish summer, humidity (although not as bad as in LA or FL). .5 hour to the closest interstate, 1 hour to the mall, 1.5 to the airport, cant get in/out without a car;

- besides drinking and outdoors, there's not much to do;

- the rent is too damn high (by Southern standards);

- large portion of the undergrad population might be quite annoying ("my parents will take care of it" kind of mentality).

• 1 year later...