Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

FUTURE COLUMBIA MSW STUDENTS (2012)!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Gumball12

Gumball12

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Program:MSW

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

Hi guys! Just thought I'd start a thread for those who have decided on attending Columbia School of Social Work beginning Fall 2012. It's a good way to connect with our future classmates :)

#2 Gumball12

Gumball12

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

Also, is anyone else having trouble accessing the 'newly admitted students' discussion board??

#3 Gumball12

Gumball12

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

What are you guys thinking of in terms of housing? Have you applied to UAH or International House? I have applied to both; would appreciate any feedback on those!

#4 doubleflower2

doubleflower2

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

I hate that discussion board, its so confusing! I think this may be a much better way of connecting! Is anyone from NYC or the surrounding areas?

#5 arjayz

arjayz

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

I'll be attending Columbia in the Fall! I'm from Long Island, and I'm pretty sure as of now I'm going to be living at home (at least for the first semester to see how it is)- I requested fieldwork on Long Island so hopefully I'll get that and won't have to commute to the city every day!

#6 Gumball12

Gumball12

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

Someone should start a facebook group for fall 2012 CUSSW admitted students!

#7 doubleflower2

doubleflower2

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

That's a great idea! I would but I have no idea how to do it! I'm slightly technologically challenged lol

#8 akaplan

akaplan

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

I am also going to Columbia and am from Long Island. I will be dorming (hopefully) I also had problems with the website
Applied : Columbia, Penn, Hunter, UPitt, NYU
Accepted: Columbia, Upitt
Rejected:

#9 doubleflower2

doubleflower2

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

I"m from the city so I will be living at home

#10 Emellen980

Emellen980

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Program:Master of Social Work

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

I too will be attending Columbia this fall! I plan on staying in my apartment, which is near the Columbia neighborhood. I've also been living in NYC and the Upper West Side for almost nine years now, so I'm happy to answer any questions about city living for any transplants out there. :)

#11 doubleflower2

doubleflower2

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:01 AM

Hey everyone! Since the discussion board is more than slightly disappointing, someone is working on making us a facebook page! This way we can all chat!

#12 lyj1678

lyj1678

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBeijing, Shanghai, China

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

Great´╝ü

#13 rjose

rjose

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

Just got my acceptance letter from Columbia! Yayyyyyy!!!! Don't know if I'll be going because it will depend on the type of aid they'll be giving me, but yay!!!

Applied: Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, USC, Penn, Cal State LA, Cal State LB
Accepted:Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, USC, Penn, Cal State LA, Cal State LB
Attending: Berkeley (Best MSW program in CA)

#14 zwpeters

zwpeters

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationColorado
  • Program:MSW/MPH

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

Also, is anyone else having trouble accessing the 'newly admitted students' discussion board??

I can't get on still either...did you figure something else out?

#15 zwpeters

zwpeters

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationColorado
  • Program:MSW/MPH

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

I too will be attending Columbia this fall! I plan on staying in my apartment, which is near the Columbia neighborhood. I've also been living in NYC and the Upper West Side for almost nine years now, so I'm happy to answer any questions about city living for any transplants out there. :)

I am coming from Colorado and am pretty clueless about finding housing in the city. My partner will be starting his MPH up at the medical campus, and we are going to apply for the married housing up there. We'll find out in June if we get it or not through the lottery. If we don't and end up having to find our own place, do you think we'll need to come out for a weekend to look or is there any way we could try to rent something from Colorado? Any advice/info would help!! Thanks!

#16 Emellen980

Emellen980

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Program:Master of Social Work

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

I am coming from Colorado and am pretty clueless about finding housing in the city. My partner will be starting his MPH up at the medical campus, and we are going to apply for the married housing up there. We'll find out in June if we get it or not through the lottery. If we don't and end up having to find our own place, do you think we'll need to come out for a weekend to look or is there any way we could try to rent something from Colorado? Any advice/info would help!! Thanks!

I would absolutely recommend that you visit apartments in person. I've found that many NYC apartment listings tend to embellish details and do not accurately depict what apartments are actually like, so you definitely want to check them out in person. In addition, there tend to be numerous scams on sites like Craigslist, which you might be more exposed to if you're searching out-of-state. I also think it would also be helpful for you to get a sense of the neighborhood you would be living in, and if it feels like the "right fit."

Good luck with the housing lottery! Keeping my fingers crossed for you as you figure out your housing situation. :)

#17 mhatchMSW2014

mhatchMSW2014

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC
  • Program:MSW (Masters in Social Work)

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hi all. Congrats on the acceptance to CUSSW! I can't seem to find a group on Facebook? Please pass on the name if you have it.

Are all of you decided on attending Columbia or are you also considering other schools? At this point I've been accepted to Columbia and University of Denver and I'm waiting to hear back from Fordham and University of Maryland. Honestly, I'm undecided. Columbia is my top choice for reputation, quality academics, and location but I'm a bit concerned about the cost to attend. Fordham isn't ranked as high but has a great reputation in NYC, plus it's significantly cheaper. Denver's program is small, but flexible and has a unique Latino certificate program. Any thoughts you could share on how you made your decision would be greatly appreciated!
Start year: Fall 2012 (2 year program)
Applied: Columbia, Fordham, University of Denver, University of Maryland Baltimore
Accepted: Columbia, Denver, Fordham, Maryland
Attending: Undecided between Columbia and Fordham

#18 akaplan

akaplan

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

I didn't find the facebook group either :(
Applied : Columbia, Penn, Hunter, UPitt, NYU
Accepted: Columbia, Upitt
Rejected:

#19 Gumball12

Gumball12

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Can someone create a facebook group?? Don't think one exists yet.

#20 doubleflower2

doubleflower2

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

Hey,

The person who was gonna create the group emailed CUSSW asking what the protocol would be. He has not heard a response yet. I guess it is up to anyone to create a group! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users