Anyone got any financial aid from calarts before?

creamypencil

"GRADUATE STUDENTS: 2012-2013 Changes to the Federal Direct Subsidized Loan program. Due to federal regulatory changes for 2012-2013, the Federal Direct Subsidized Loan program for graduate students is eliminated, effective with loan periods starting on or after July 1, 2012. As a result, you are no longer eligible to receive Federal Direct Subsidized Loans. However, graduate students can still qualify for Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans up to $20,500. Please visitGrad PLUS or Private Loans for other borrowing options for next year.

In addition, the up-front interest rebate will no longer be offered on any Direct Loan first disbursed on or after July 1, 2012."

It seems like most uf us got the shaft...but one question: How much were you expecting to get?

Many of the private art schools don't offer very many full rides. The art department has, what, about 40-50 MFAs a year if we're including graphic design (and why would we..amiright?) If they gave one full ride per concentration, and 2 half scholarships like SAIC does, most of us are gonna get less than 50%. You're lucky to get 1/3 off. So, show of hands: who was expecting to get over $10k? who was expecting a full-ride?

For the record, I was realistically expecting about $10k.

I wasn't necessarily expecting to a lot from Cal Arts themselves, but I totally didn't realize that the cap for federal loans was so low. For whatever reason, I had thought it was higher.

But then for those of us who aren't from money, I am really curious as to how people pay for it? I mean, do they just take out private loans? Not everyone who goes to any of the top ten schools can be rollin' in the dough. Unless there is some kind of secret artist funding scheme that I am not aware of . . .

"if we're including graphic design (and why would we..amiright?)" HA! Cheers to that! ;)

can anyone esle who got a scholarship offer from CalArts tell me if thats from the FAFSA application or seperate and if it is seperate then does that mean financial aid is something in addition to that?

totally clutching at straws here..

can anyone esle who got a scholarship offer from CalArts tell me if thats from the FAFSA application or seperate and if it is seperate then does that mean financial aid is something in addition to that?

totally clutching at straws here..

I actually just called them, and they said that when you submit the Fafa, you're automatically in line to apply for all the scholarships that Cal Arts gives out. They said that I could try to apply for the Graduate Plus loan, which will most likely need a co-signer unless you have pristine credit, or to look for outside scholarships. I must admit, they weren't particularly helpful.

They also said to try Fast Web, which is an online data base for scholarships, though you'd have to search through them to make sure you can apply as an international student. Though the problem is now that most scholarship deadlines for the upcoming year have already passed.

At this point, I'm wondering if it's worth trying to defer for a year as I simply can't afford to go.

What?? I already traded my mac with a new set of brushes.

:)

But then for those of us who aren't from money, I am really curious as to how people pay for it? I mean, do they just take out private loans? Not everyone who goes to any of the top ten schools can be rollin' in the dough. Unless there is some kind of secret artist funding scheme that I am not aware of . . .

I don't know about you guys, but I blew through my trust fund in my 20s. I'm going to have to keep my day job, but I work from home, so that's possible. i'm going to have to take out private loans on top of the federal loans to pay for it since I don't have much savings and I'm still many thousands short with what they offered me. Hopefully I can get the loans without a cosigner. I could raid my 401k, but people say not to do that. I admit that i'm very lucky, but it would have been nice to be able to quit my job so I could just focus on school.

And my crack about graphic designers is 'cuz they have marketable skills and can expect to make money at what they do..aside from any other bias I may have about them, some of my best friends are GDers. :D