Hearing from the Kennedy School?

wabbitt09

That is terrible news :(

I think it depends on how that 1600 is distributed. Is it solely for the MPP program or does it include all of HKS' programs? If the latter, then that's not bad considering the average size of the entering class across all degree programs is over 500 students.

Peterson's cites a figure of 1,253 applicants to the MPP program for a previous year. (https://www.petersons.com/GradChannel/c ... sponsor=13) Applicants to other programs are listed separately.

Now, don't freak out yet. Earlier, I posted a comment about an 80 percent increase in applications for the HKS/Harvard Business School joint degree. (http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=525923) That statistic in itself could be responsible for a a significant portion of the approximately 25 percent increase in applications HKS registered. As another poster pointed out back then, a large portion of those applications is probably composed of laid-off and/or disillusioned private sector workers.

Most of us here have work experience or internships in public service. This is an important consideration. How many young workers have you known who left public service, disillusioned with the lack of resources, the slow pace of results, and the low salaries? Although MPP/MPA/IR programs know some of us will end up in the private sector, they want to prepare students for careers--not brief, embittered stints--in public service. Saying that you were inspired by Election Night or angered by recent corporate behavior is not the same thing as saying that you worked in a campaign or have worked for a regulatory entity.

Also, realize that many of the students who are applying to graduate school because they are unable to get jobs might not have planned on going to graduate school this quickly or at all. Remember, the economic crisis (and the Obama factor) did not hit until early fall. By that time, it would have been too late to raise a lackluster GPA, improve a low GRE score, snag the strongest LORs, or take recommended classes. True, some of these last-minute applicants are strong competitors regardless of the situation. But, I think most of us here are still comparatively strong candidates.

Just got off the phone with a very nice lady from HKS admission. Brace yourselves folks... Dun Dun Dunnnnnnn!!! Nah no need to worry. Your decisions are coming soon. No more info is available.

By soon, are we talking end of the month or mid-March as we've predicted... I assume she wasn't all details or anything.

Just got off the phone with a very nice lady from HKS admission. Brace yourselves folks... Dun Dun Dunnnnnnn!!! Nah no need to worry. Your decisions are coming soon. No more info is available.

I'll set the over/under at March 13th. Anyone care to place bets?

After this long? I assume most of us didn't wait until the last day. We'll be able to take 3 more days. I think GSPP will be next week*.

*Not for any valid reason. I just need to have something to be antsy about.

Plate: You are a strong, well-balanced person. :)

According to that Petersons link, about 60% of people accepted into the Harvard MPP program actually enroll. That is a pretty impressive figure--hopefully it means they give enticing aid offers to a nice percentage of students. Or maybe other prospective students out there aren't as cost conscious as the typical poster on here. Does anybody have any more insight on this?

In case you haven't checked, it says they accepted 28% of applicants in the reported year and 209 students enrolled. If they're hoping to keep a similarly sized cohort, and expect the same enrollment rate, the acceptance rate this year will be around 20-22%. Not too great, but probably close to twice the rate I'm expecting from Princeton this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Informative article there, but a bit depressing. Looks like we might not hear at the end of next week like many of us predicted:

"Kennedy School Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management Alexandra Martinez emphasized the role of the economy.

Boooo. It's a psychological destabilization campaign. They want to shatter our frail egos, and they will admit those of us who are not in psych wards by the end of next week.

I still have my money on March 13. Other schools have reported similar increases and have still sent out decisions at around the same time frame they did last year.

On a more serious note, does anyone know if HKS will have an admitted student day? It seems that if they send out notices in late March, that would not leave much time to make arrangements to attend. (Although it is unlikely that I will have to decide whether to attend accepted student day. :wink: )

Linden -

The HKS open house is April 9. I emailed them about it a few weeks ago because I wanted to keep the date open.

Wow. Hopefully we find out soon. I'm in California, so it would take some considerable planning, effort, and expense to get out there for an open house.

Wow. Hopefully we find out soon. I'm in California, so it would take some considerable planning, effort, and expense to get out there for an open house.

April 9??? Wow they sure leave a lot of time before the April 15 deadline. lol.