What size laptop do you use?

189 members have voted

1. 1. If your laptop is your primary computer, what size is it?

• 16" +
    • 15"
    • 14"
    • 13"
    • smaller than 13"
    • other

If you use your laptop as your primary computer, what size is it?

I'm wanting something that is tote-able yet still a decent size to be comfortable to use.

Specifics on the laptop are welcome, as are suggestions!

Edited by new_to_kin

I'm very interested in this! I think my current laptop is a 15", but I want an ultrabook and they tend to max out at around 13" (as do laptop sleeves in backpacks). Curious to hear everyone's thoughts!

I have a 13" MacBook Pro. For the most part, I like it! The size is great. I carry it in a soft case that fits in my backpack.

Ditto. It's been fine for my purposes (word processing, web browsing). I have a Timbuktu bag with a laptop compartment...so it's easy to carry around.

I have a 14" HP. Since I like to watch series and stuff, I really appreciate the extra inch, but it's still highly portable and stylish enough so that I take it almost everywhere. Since I don't really have a home base where I could have a hugh external monitor and I'm not planning on staying within the same continent for more than two years, that seemed like a great compromise for me.

At the moment I have a 13" MacBook that I can connect to my 42" TV if I need a bigger screen :-) But I work a lot with spectrograms and sound waves and spend too many hours in front of the computer, so sometimes 13" feels small to me. I'm considering buying a desktop to work at home (I'm going to stay where I live now for 5+ years) and keep the laptop for when I work on campus and when I travel back home for the holidays.

Edited by Bumblebee

For years I have had 15" laptops with numeric keypads, but I recently needed a new computer and (a very long story later) ended up with the Dell xps 14z, which is 14". I do miss the numeric keypad and the extra inch of screen, but it is SO much more portable that it's worth it to me. I'm mostly used to the smaller screen now, about a month later. I don't think I'd be happy with 13", though; I like to work with two windows side-by-side a lot and it's a little squished as it is.

Keep it coming! I'm really interested in what people do if this is literally the only screen they use (i.e. is 13" too tiny?)

Thanks!

I don't even own a TV, let alone a desktop computer. The 13" screen works fine for everything from data entry to watching movies for me, but maybe I'm just used to it!

I'm still toting around my 15" Macbook Pro from 2007 (it turns five next month, d'awww), but I plan to buy a new computer as soon as Apple releases a MBP line with a new form factor. I'm probably going to stick with the 15" screen... it never seemed like an undue burden during undergrad (and believe me, I took my laptop everywhere) and the 13" just seems so bitty--I've used my roommate's, and I just couldn't wrap my head around the lost space. Fingers crossed that the next MBP line is slimmer (but not Macbook Air thin, I firmly believe that I would manage to snap one of those in half).

I use a Lenovo ThinkPad R61 with a 14.1 widescreen that I got back in 2008. The feature that has proven more important than the screen size is the keyboard.

FWIW, Lenovo has continued IBM's practice of publishing each month a document that lists the full range of available laptops http://www.lenovo.co.../pdf/tabook.pdf .

Edited by Sigaba

I had a terrible, terrible experience with a Lenovo laptop that led me to this Dell. Basically, the laptop stopped working within a month, and it was like pulling teeth to get any sort of customer service. After three (!!) different motherboards they finally agreed the laptop was defective and gave me my money back. I think overall they are good machines, but my experience soured me. I would suggest if you get a Lenovo (or any computer, really), get it from a real in-person store and not from their website so you have somewhere to take it if it breaks.

I have a 13" Macbook Pro like others on this board. I've had it for a year, and so far it's much more reliable than my 2006 15" MBP was at the same age. The screen is somewhat too small for me when I use it as a desktop at home.

I'm currently in the field and I'm using a netbook as my primary computer. It also tends to be my default computer when I'm at home, though I'll plug it into my 21" monitor and my external keyboard and mouse so that I have a complete workstation. When I get, I'll be buying a new laptop, likely with a 15" screen, that has the power to run the data analysis programs I'll need. I would get a bigger laptop, but it's not necessary given that I already have monitor/keyboard/mouse. I'm also considering a desktop but, I like the portability of being able to analyze my data anywhere.

I had a terrible, terrible experience with a Lenovo laptop that led me to this Dell. Basically, the laptop stopped working within a month, and it was like pulling teeth to get any sort of customer service. After three (!!) different motherboards they finally agreed the laptop was defective and gave me my money back. I think overall they are good machines, but my experience soured me. I would suggest if you get a Lenovo (or any computer, really), get it from a real in-person store and not from their website so you have somewhere to take it if it breaks.

Was your Lenovo a ThinkPad made for business customers? Or was it an IdeaPad?

A few months ago I bought a ThinkPad T420, which has a 14" matte widescreen. My previous laptop was a Dell Latitude D520, with a standard 14" screen (4:3 aspect ratio). I liked the screen aspect ratio of the Dell more, but I'm not aware of new laptops with a 4:3 screen. Anyway, other than the widescreen, I love the ThinkPad, especially the keyboard and the TrackPoint. However, I use my laptop mostly for programming and for processing X-ray data (the software I use for that requires a pretty powerful computer), and I run Linux on it. If I also cared about watching movies or listening to music, for example, then there might be better choices out there. The sound from the ThinkPad speakers isn't great, although things get better if you plug in some headphones. Also, the ThinkPad T420 isn't as stylish as an Apple, imo... the ThinkPad is kind of boxy in comparison. Those are not issues for me though.

I'm not sure how this compares to other new laptops, but the T420 battery (one 6-cell) lasts for 3-4 hours if I run pretty heavy stuff, around 6 h if I only work on writing a paper (in kwrite... I think something like Kile would drain the battery a little faster), and more than I ever cared to wait if I put the laptop to sleep. I also have a small Windows partition on the laptop (it came with Windows 7, but I reduced the Windows partition to about 40 GB and installed Ubuntu), but I didn't test the battery life under Windows yet.

If you're interested in the T420, there's a more detailed review here:

http://www.studentbuyingguide.com/2011/04/lenovo-thinkpad-t420-review/

I have a 13" Macbook, will upgrade to a 13" Macbook Air (or whatever other shenanigans they release) this summer. I prioritize weight, size, and hard drive space over performance.

I don't really have a primary computer. I use the laptop for mobile work, and a workstation when I need to run models or do other demanding computer work. When I'm working in the office, they both go to a 24" monitor (1080p). I used to have a 15" laptop. If I were working only on the laptop all the time, the extra 2" would make a difference, but I'd rather plug either into the external monitor while working.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T401 that I got in 2009. Before that I had an IBM Thinkpad T42 that I used for 5 years and that's still functional and being used by my parents. I really like the Thinkpad keyboard and screen, and it has a good balance of features and battery life. Overall I'm very pleased and will probably get another Thinkpad when I need a new computer.

I have a MacBook Pro 13". I used to have a 15" dell; the MBP is definitely lighter and a lot more tote friendly. I guess I find the screen a bit small sometimes, but it doesn't really bother me that much, there's so much else about it that I really like. Like I said, I used to have a bigger screen, but it was not as easy to carry around (though I'm guessing that a 15" MBP would be somewhat lighter than my old dell:)

I like the look of the Lenovo ideapad U300. It's got the lightweight portability of the ultrabook, but hopefully the reliability that comes with the Lenovo brand. Has anyone had any experience with these? They come in 13" I think...maybe larger?

I am NOT at all jealous of people who have MBPs. I am perfectly happy with Windows XP Pro. Yep.

(This unbitter remark aside, if I can afford to get another ThinkPad when it is time for a new laptop, that's the way I'll go.)