Boston University M.A. International Relations Fall 2012

Srunner

Hi, I have been accepted as well and like you am still deciding. I am still in the running for a Fulbright (M.A. in Food Communication... i.e. practically useless for what I want to do [foreign service]) but really want to accept BU. Boston is my favorite city in America and this program looks perfect as I am getting my B.A. in History and they seem to be really focused on the interdisciplinary side of things. I'm still waiting on the funding letter to come in the mail... that will significantly help my decision along. HOUSING is a terrifying prospect haha.

I'm also considering BU! I hesitate because 1) haven't heard about funding yet and 2) it seems like a lesser known IR school?

Is this true? Does anyone know if BU has a good reputation in the IR world? I am in the IRRN program, Intl Relations and Religions. Anybody else?

Its killing me that I haven't gotten the funding letter in the mail yet. $40,000 a year is just ... a terrifying number. IR at Boston is by no means the best program (John Hopkins, Georgetown, etc) however my friends in the State Dept tell me that BU has an amazing program that is really overlooked. The faculty is awesome and the city is amazing (is it D.C. or NY no) . If I get funding it's a no brainer I'm going. If I don't get funding it will be a tough choice but I think I am going to take on the debt.

In that case please note that I am openly seeking roomates for the fall haha.

Srunner, I am also a Fulbrighter and still waiting for BU-IR program. I even don't know if I am in. When did you hear from them?

It was a week ago today via email. They said that an official letter would be coming "soon" (not so soon) in the mail.

I also got an email a week from today saying I was accepted into the MA IR and Religion program and to wait for the funding info via snail-mail... Unless BU decides to fully fund me (or at least heavily fund me) however, it is hard to see how I can turn down less pricy options like Durham, or especially SOAS. The latter schools are more prestigious relative to the country/region. I am also waiting for Oxford and LSE, either of which would be very enticing, not to mention Fletcher.

The official letters went out via email today. I did not get offered an assistantship :(

Sorry to hear that Srunner... I didn't get a letter yet! I wonder what that means... Maybe I survived the first or second round of offers. Oh I hope I get the news soon either way, because it says it can take until mid-June here: http://www.bu.edu/ir/graduate/prospective/how-to-apply/notification-of-decision/

Hi Srunner - I am sorry to hear that!

To Srunner and DualCitizenIR - I have not received a final decision on financial aid, yet. I agree with you DualCitizenIR that we have to wait a little longer ...Cheer up guys and good luck!!

So, Srunner between which universities are you deciding?

This forum is actually keeping me sane ;) - sounds weird but good to know that we all have similar questions and concerns...

Well I applied last minute so I got my application in to BU and University of Georgia (I will not go there it was a safety school). My real other option is the Fulbright. I'm waiting on a full grant to Italy to get a masters in food communication (it sounds totally absurd but actually looks like an amazing program that is all about slow food and how to promote it, and ... it would be free :) ).

What about you?

Edit: By the way, I would assume that it is a good thing you two haven't heard yet. You have probably made it further in the decision process than myself.

Edited by Srunner

Well I applied last minute so I got my application in to BU and University of Georgia (I will not go there it was a safety school). My real other option is the Fulbright. I'm waiting on a full grant to Italy to get a masters in food communication (it sounds totally absurd but actually looks like an amazing program that is all about slow food and how to promote it, and ... it would be free :) ).

What about you?

Edit: By the way, I would assume that it is a good thing you two haven't heard yet. You have probably made it further in the decision process than myself.

Well, I got admitted at the Elliott School which is the school I am going to attend in case BU has no offer of financial aid...and in case they do, the decision still will be tough. I studied for a semester at BU and I loved it - still have a couple of friends living in the city - which is amazing - to me at least ;) - and I would love to go back...then again, GWU has got a very good reputation and I don't know whether this'll help me more regarding the job hunt later...

Good luck for your Fulbright-program - (no worries, I don't think it is absurd - we all should be more aware of what we eat, how we eat it, where it comes from and what we do with leftovers - totally far from the topic here ;), but very recently the German government published a survey showing how much food German throw away every year just because the food had reached its expiration-date...)

Hi PaulaRevere - I applied to the BU IR program (Global Dev Policy). Submitted my materials for the early deadline(Jan 15)...but still haven't heard back!! Anyone else waiting for a decision who also applied before Jan 15 deadline?

Congrats to those of you who have been admitted! Hopefully I can join you!

Hi PaulaRevere - I applied to the BU IR program (Global Dev Policy). Submitted my materials for the early deadline(Jan 15)...but still haven't heard back!! Anyone else waiting for a decision who also applied before Jan 15 deadline?

Congrats to those of you who have been admitted! Hopefully I can join you!

Hey jenjen, good luck!!

I got the notification on 14th Feb and sent my application in midth of Dec..

Jenjen, I applied to the Global Dev. Policy program too. I received my offer on March 14th (no funding/assistantship - found out later by e-mail).

I haven't decided, whether I'm going to accept... I got two other offers, New York University and The New School - both for M.A's in International Relations.

Anyone here have any info about the programs of NYU and The New School?

I was told that my financial assistance is still under review. I guess this is better than "no" but it's not a "yes." I have to know soon because AU's decision deadline is April 20th!