Boston University M.A. International Relations Fall 2012

Srunner

Does anyone know about the reputation etc about BU's Global Dev Policy. I know that its fairly new but I do not know too much about it. I got accepted but they gave me no funding unfortunately. I am very torn! I am just not sure how the program is viewed and if its the best choice to get a job afterwards!

I just accepted BU.

:) congrats, srunner! Making a decision is putting a lot of weight from one's shoulder, right?! (can you say that this way? mh - have to work on the use of idioms ;) )

I have not decided, yet - but I guess I really tend to BU :). Is there a facebook group for "us"?

:) congrats, srunner! Making a decision is putting a lot of weight from one's shoulder, right?! (can you say that this way? mh - have to work on the use of idioms ;) )

I have not decided, yet - but I guess I really tend to BU :). Is there a facebook group for "us"?

I don't think there is yet but I will create one if not!

I've debated whether or not I should make this post, but I feel that after visiting BU in person I must let other people know about my experience.

Firstly I should say that I applied to the IRRN program and that most of my issues and reasons I'm not accepting BU is specific to the IRRN program.

So as far as the IRRN program, if anyone is interested, it is in a great upheaval. The current head of the department, Elizabeth Prodromou, is leaving. Since most of the classes I wanted to take were all taught by her, this is a major problem. Also if you are interested in East Asia (as I am), the courses are seriously lacking.

Now, my real issue came from the fact that the IR Graduate School Administrator was extremely rude and unhelpful. I asked him what job opportunities were like for BU graduates, and he was vague. They have no statistics, no information, no idea how their graduates are doing except for anecdotal evidence.

Then, he told me, “However, considering your BA in Asian Studies, an MA in IRRN will make you much more marketable. Regional Studies are really considered ‘fluff’ degrees.”

I was shocked because he was basically telling me that $100k of debt would be worth it to make up for my “fluff” degree. I didn’t point out to him that I double majored in English and Asian Studies, while pursuing both French and Chinese language, and that my total GPA upon graduation was 3.96.

As I sat there, silenced by the shock of his rudeness, he said “Oh not to insult your degree or anything!”

Damage done, sir, damage done.

Then, when I asked him about internship opportunities, he said “Oh, well that is a weakness in our program, I must admit.” There was an awkward silence where we looked at each other. Then he said, “Students mostly figure that out on their own.”

I met some IRRN students and they were smart, wonderful people. But for me, as person who wants to study religious minorities in China, this program is not going to work well. Secondly, I would have a great deal of trouble working with the current IR Grad Admin, who is basically your Academic Advisor, and we've already gotten off to a poor start.

I’m not saying that IR school as a whole is bad, but I am just sharing the poor and unprofessional experience I had and the fact that the IRRN program is in a period of great change. So students considering the IRRN program should try to find out more details such as who exactly your professors will be.

I ended up declining my acceptance to IRRN at BU. Hopefully that will help someone else out in terms of the graduate assistantship, as I was still under consideration for that.

Sorry to hear that, by the way, msn. That sounds like a program in a right awful mess...

Thanks for sharing your impressions and thoughts, msn.

I applied to the Global Development Program and have just accepted the offer a few days ago. Reading your post makes me quite nervous and makes me wonder, whether I made the right choice.

By the way, the internship issue is definitely a weakness of the program.

I... hesitated to put in my two cents here before because I basically washed out of BU my freshman year of college (almost a decade ago) but it sounds like the program/campus culture hasn't changed all that much. In general, I found IR staff and faculty to be supremely unhelpful, especially compared to the university I transferred to (which was of a similar size if not larger and definitely not as well funded, so they can't have that as an excuse). They had a very "sink or swim" mentality and didn't support undergraduates that well, and that was also the attitude I encountered all across campus. At the time, they had some interesting people on the IR faculty--Andrew Bacevich was nominally my advisor, which meant I met him once for 5 minutes--but again, no real chances given to connect with people. Do take this with a large grain of salt because as I said, I transferred out several years ago and I don't generally think happily back on those times. It could be that they support graduate students much better, but somehow I doubt it :/

Thanks for sharing your impressions and thoughts, msn.

I applied to the Global Development Program and have just accepted the offer a few days ago. Reading your post makes me quite nervous and makes me wonder, whether I made the right choice.

By the way, the internship issue is definitely a weakness of the program.

Cleo, as I said, my issues were very specific to the IRRN program and also somehow the poor relationship I instantly had with the Grad School Admin.

I know people who applied to the Development program and I've heard good things about it. So really you don't necessarily need to be nervous, but I would say be prepared to do things on your own. For me, someone with little professional experience, the idea was too daunting. I need help to make connections and to get employment. I know I will have to work hard, but I can't do it on my own now, so I doubt I could do it on my own while studying.

Edited by msn

Hey guys,

I am really sorry to hear you have made such bad experiences with BU. I was there for a semester (History Dept.) and I loved it. I had Bacevich as a teacher and I thought he is very good! I enjoyed his class a lot. I know that it will be tough to get internships in DC or NYC in the summer without being there before but it should be manageable - I hope ;).

I'm really sorry msn!

To cleo - I am about to accept but I am still confused, too. And, I need to talk to my advisors with my German scholarship institution before I can make a decision - I am going to see them next Fri.....:(

To all of you - good luck and I hope we are all satisfied after getting our degree :)

My view on the internship thing... I've already had an internship at the State Department and that was while attending school in Georgia... Boston only increases chances. You don't HAVE to be in D.C. or New York to get the internships, it just makes things a lot easier/cheaper. I emailed the Grad School coordinator and he seemed nice via email but who knows in person. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that I am making the right choice :) We really do need to start a facebook group!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all, I am part of the dept of IR at BU, writing in order to urge any readers interested in the IRRN program to drop a line to the department directly with questions or concerns. About internships  or advising, or anything. We try our best to guide our students into and through the program successfully, and would love to do the same for you. The IRRN program is now under new leadership, poached from Stanford, and we are excited about the future of a program that addresses some of world's most pressing policy dilemas. So please be in touch!

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I am part of the dept of IR at BU, writing in order to urge any readers interested in the IRRN program to drop a line to the department directly with questions or concerns. About internships  or advising, or anything. We try our best to guide our students into and through the program successfully, and would love to do the same for you. The IRRN program is now under new leadership, poached from Stanford, and we are excited about the future of a program that addresses some of world's most pressing policy dilemas. So please be in touch!

HI Gadogado,

If you don't mind me asking, I would like to know what are the differences between the MAIA, GDP, etc masters, besides the obvious. I am interested in a more econ/quant-focused master, which one would you say is better suited? Do you have statistics of the class profile/rankings/opinions on the different masters?? Any info would help :)

thank you so much in advance,

Edited by Magnolia2