How does one find an adjunct job?

11Q13

I struck out on my PhD apps this year and I need to remain active in the academy until I reapply in the Fall, lest my CV be destroyed. Ideally I would like to stay in the area, at least someplace commutable from Cambridge, MA area. My Master's is from Harvard, which I would think would get my foot in the door, but it seems like this city is over-saturated with overqualified PhD's scooping up the adjunct positions. My field is religion, specifically ancient Judaisms and Christianities. Should I just start cold calling places?

Try checking higheredjobs.com. Community colleges always have a large pool of adjuncts on hand; send some emails with CV's, etc.

I took an adjunct position after getting my MA (in mathematics) while I was deciding about research areas for a PhD. I credit my teaching experience as an adjunct as one thing that may have set me apart from other applicants. Good luck reapplying and getting some adjunct positions (you'll need a few to survive!).

Talk to some of your professors and see if there's a chance that you can either teach or TA with the summer school classes or for the extension education classes. Also, just email your adviser and see what they suggest you do. Look at Bunker Hill CC and they might have some openings for something (usually not, since the oversaturation process)...you also might inquire into the programs you were rejected from and see what went wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Who is the point of contact that you should try to find? Let's say you are in/near a major city with several universities and community colleges. Do you go for the chair? the grad director? an administrative person?

Also - for students currently enrolled in a PhD program, would it be frowned upon to apply for external adjunct spots while still on funding/TAship at home?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...