Does anybody else feel really nervous about their decision?

habanero

So, I accepted a school and it is now final. It was my dream school, but I also got accepted to a few other top schools. My mind has been racing--is it the right decision? I mean, I know that it is (otherwise it wouldn't have been my dream in the first place), but when does this feeling of "OMG THIS IS MY TERMINAL DEGREE DID I DO THE RIGHT THING" go away?

I think you are focusing on the bad things. In my opinion, you should be focusing on the fact that, firstly, you were accepted (I am still waiting for an answer after being rejected in the past 2 years); then, you were accepted at the place you have always dreamed about! Isn't that amazing?! You are going to make a dream come true, either if it is your terminal degree or not. I face life like a constant school so for me it will never exist such thing as a terminal degree. You could try to forget that that is your terminal degree. You never know. Plus, if you happen to not being happy about your degree or your dream school, change can happen in a blink of an eye. You just need to want it too. Think positive, always focus on the good side of things and everything will be just great! ;)

I totally do. I also got accepted to my dream school; I'm transferring out of the MSc program I'm in now and starting a PhD program in the fall. I'm nervous about dropping my current program. I'm nervous about the dream school program -what if I hate it? What if I suck at it? And I'm hella nervous I made the wrong degree path choice - I was an English and Bio major in UG, and sometimes, I wonder if I should have gone the way of humanities.

I totally get you. I guess all we can do take a deep breath and realize that it's what we want, we just have slight commitment issues. :P

I've been having jitters since February when I accepted. I'm excited, but nervous... Elated but terrified... And now with moving I am worrying about all sorts of things. I'm afraid I won't live up to expectations, I'm afraid it will all fall apart when I get there... the list goes on and on and on... I think this is normal... things always seem to pan out once I am THERE, so I'm going to hope that happens when I get There. :) Good Luck to All Of Us!

I finally got an acceptance a few weeks ago. I've been over the moon for awhile, but now a horrible self doubt is creeping in. Will I be able to do this? Is it worth moving so far away? Will I be able to find a job when I'm done?

Part of me knows that it is totally natural to be frightened before a major life change and that I'll be fine--after all, I spent months dreading what would happen if I didn't get in.

But the rest of me is scared.

I'm such a baby!

I find that feeling anxious is often unrelated to the object of the anxiety. Applying to grad school is obviously an extremely nerve-wracking process, and I think it is natural for the anxiety it produces to attach itself to all sorts of other things, even after the initial wave of relief experienced after acceptances. So just hang in there and try to chill out. Everything will be ok :)

I too suffer from serious imposter syndrome. I think it's pretty common. Since I'm a non-trad applicant it's particularly strong. Not to mention I'm still somewhat waiting because I haven't heard about financial aid. :unsure: I would say distract yourself by planning for your new life. Especially if you will be moving! It can be a great distractor from the insecurities!

Impostor syndrome! Describes my feelings so perfectly! I keep feeling as if my school mixed up my application with someone else's and I'll get there, totally unqualified, totally underprepared.

But almost everyone felt that way at the visitor's day for my program, and those who didn't, I've decided, were lying.

I agree with what was said above. Planning for the move is a great distraction! I, too, got into my first choice school, but also a couple others...it took me a while to decide, and even though I've now made up my mind and submitted my acceptance, I'm still super nervous I made the wrong choice. But, I'm just thinking ahead to the big move, and that seems to be serving as a great distraction for now!

Anyway, feeling doubts is normal...regardless of where you choose to go. Imagine how much MORE doubt you'd be feeling if you'd accepted an offer from a school that wasn't your dream school!

:)

It's totally normal, and closely related to getting cold feet before your wedding or experiencing buyer's remorse after you've signed a contract on a house. I've had a few moments of "OMG I hope this is the right move!" but overall I am very excited about the opportunities and feel like I have made the right decision.