UC San Diego

icthere

Hi all! I'll be joining CSE this fall. Would love to meet those who will be going to San Diego. Also, I am looking for a roommate. I'll be applying for on-campus housing. If you are interested, please let me know :)

• 2 weeks later...

I too am UC San Diego bound! I've already put in my app for on-campus housing (Rita, Mesa, OMS)--hopefully it'll go through alright, one of my friends 2 years ago got a housing spot in October when he'd applied for August.

Anyone else lurking about who's headed to UCSD?

Nice to meet you :D Rita and Mesa do not seem to have long wait lists. I saw on the housing website that they are currently making offers to those who applied in April (for single students). It seems OK to me!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'll be joining UCSD ECE too this fall. :) I heard roomie pairing is random ...that you cant pick...am I wrong?

Hi! Yes. It is random, unless two students submit a request to be roommates. They must set their preferences in the housing application exactly the same so that the office can pair them...

At least, this is what my friends at UCSD told me. They had managed to select their roommates themselves this way!

that's great...I'd hate it if my roomie had a cat :P ...looking for a roomie?

Actually, I am! Sent you a PM...

Edited by icthere

• 5 months later...

Hey everyone, UCSD is actually one of my top choices for Fall 2013 PhD Computer Engineering, so I am very happy (and jealous!) for all of you who got admitted! :) I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out as to what I would need for my application to have a realistic chance. My GRE scores were 160 Verbal (83%), 162 Quantitative (86%), and 4.5 Analytical Writing (73%). I have a 3.5 GPA over 4 years and 3.9 over the last two years. However, I did my undergraduate degree in South Africa, at a relatively unknown university. I also don't have any publications... I'm sure my Letters of Recommendation will be strong, but they will be from professors at my university and thus probably not that well known in the US.

Would you say that UCSD is a realistic goal, or should I look somewhere else? (I really like the program at UCSD, but I have heard that admission is pretty competitive... As every application is costing me a lot of money, I obviously don't want to apply to a place that I have absolutely no chance.)

Edited by Casper14

• 1 month later...