External Fellowship

Chronos

So I recently found out I was awarded the NSF-GRFP, and I plan to begin my graduate studies this Fall. I have heard that it is possible to ask schools that put you on the waitlist/rejected you to change their decision because you have found an external fellowship. I have a different question though.

Do you think it's possible for me to negotiate stipends with some schools? For example, both UChicago and Columbia University offer stipends greater than the $30,000 the NSF offers. Both schools are willing to present me with an additional stipend as an incentive to attend school there. I have a lot of debt from my undergraduate education and it would really help me... so how can I ask them without sounding like a cheapo?

I posted this in the chemistry forum (and not "The Bank") because I'd like the opinion of other chem. grad students.

I'm not within chemistry, but some schools will give you extra money for getting an outside fellowship in order to incentivize students to partially fund themselves with their own fellowships. So for example, if they were willing to give you a 40,000 stipend but you get a 30,000 fellowship, a school might instead give you an additional 15,000. In total, you would get 45,000 a year - 5,000 more than you would have - but the school would be spending 25,000 less on you. You should ask if maybe something like this is an option. I doubt you'd be able to still hold onto the entire stipend from the school.

Not really... You take the NSF for prestige. I had several friends give up internal fellowships or assistantships that were paying more, but being an NSF fellow opens a lot of other worthwhile doors.

I looked into it a bit when I accepted mine, and from what I recall, it wasn't possible, but I don't remember whether it was institutional or NSF prohibited. I think it was from the NSF guidelines, but not positive. Most major fellowships prevent doubling up.

::edit::

Edited by Eigen