Western University (UWO)

new_to_kin

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also an international student (from Ireland) heading to UWO in September. Pretty excited already :)

One thing I was wondering, maybe some current grad students can help with; what's the accommodation situation like? The graduate residences look really expensive, $800+ a month for a single apartment in the Glenmore residences. A lot cheaper for the two-bedroom apartments but unfortunately you need to apply with a roommate and I don't know anyone else. Ideally I'd like to rent a shared house with some other graduate students. A lot cheaper and more fun than living on my own! How early would I have to arrive in London to sort this out? I probably won't be flying over til mid-August at least, and I wouldn't like to commit to somewhere I haven't seen in person.

$800 is a LOT in this town for a single room. You can get a 2 bedroom apt for about the same amount.

PM me if you want more info - I'm originally from Australia so I understand how it is to move overseas for grad school (did my Masters in the US).

• 1 month later...

Nicee! super pumped theres a thread for this school, Im going to UWO for fall!!

Starting to look at places to stay cant decide on a bachelor apartment or to go the roommate way. Was thinking bachelor because I dont know anyone and have never been thereeeeeeeeee womp wompp

But the housing seems reasonable? the res is crazy pricy but in town doesnt seem too bad?

Just be careful where you rent. The "student ghetto" is full of really awful accomodations surrounded by drunk undergrads.

I live here, so if anyone needs advice about where to rent, let me know.

Incidentally, I went to visit someone who lives in Platt's Lane (grad and family housing) and it was quite nice. Definitely had the feeling of...council estates/low income housing, but it was ok. Lots of families and international students.

Hi all,

I'm a Western alumnus and here are my views if you're looking for the best off-campus housing coming from someone who's lived all over the map (4 different locations in 4 years):

- Don't even look at places near the University Gates, east of campus, close to Richmond St., most of the accommodations here are expensive, old, and on terrible parts of bus routes far from any grocery store. This is also where a large majority of the undergraduate student ghetto is located, one of my worst years at Western living in this location.

- Downtown London is generally ok and a bit more affordable if you're willing to put up with a bus commute that can take anywhere from 15 - 30 mins depending on traffic and the trains that literally pass right through the downtown core. There is one so-so grocery store called Valu-mart close by but I never found their selection nor prices to be noteworthy. The main reason why so many students also live in this area is the proximity to the 'Richmond Row' bars and nightlife.

- The best location and one I most enjoyed was the area south of campus off Western Rd. where a large contingency of graduate students reside (Platt's Lane Estates) or even a bit further south where Western Rd. turns in Wharncliffe. The rent in this area is affordable, it's on IMO the most convenient bus route (#2) which is a 5-10min max bus ride to the core of campus or downtown. There is also a shopping mall called Cherry Hill Village close by within walking distance with a 24hour grocery store that has a reasonable selection and prices.

- Another popular location north of campus, that I never lived, near Masonville Mall is a very middle and upper-class area and I have friends who loved living here too because of the proximity to a bunch of amenities and the second largest shopping mall in London. The only thing I can comment on, is that the buses are not as frequent and usually packed like sardines.

If anyone has anymore questions, feel free to message me.

• 4 weeks later...

Incidentally, I went to visit someone who lives in Platt's Lane (grad and family housing) and it was quite nice. Definitely had the feeling of...council estates/low income housing, but it was ok. Lots of families and international students.

I went to visit this place again and she mentioned that they had done a LOT of work on the place and it was awful and really, really dirty/gross when they moved in. Maybe bear this in mind if you care about that. The repainted, redid the floors etc.

• 9 months later...

Anyone starting at Western in September?

Yes. I will be there this September for grad school.

I'm trying to figure out where is the best place to live off campus.

Depends what you want and if you'll have a car! Also depends if you want to be near or far from undergrads. Let me know what you want and I can make some suggestions.

If you want to be near school then there are some options.

If you want a better neighbourhood with more amenities within walking distance, then I would suggest Old South/Wortley Village (that's where I live). It's a bike ride (20 mins) or 2 busses (free bus pass) from school, though.

I don't want to be near undergrads and don't have a car so any suggestions for that would be helpful.  I've heard that having to take two buses can be a bit troublesome, is that true?  I imagine cycling to school in the dead of winter is quite tough!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Depends what you want and if you'll have a car! Also depends if you want to be near or far from undergrads. Let me know what you want and I can make some suggestions.

If you want to be near school then there are some options.

If you want a better neighbourhood with more amenities within walking distance, then I would suggest Old South/Wortley Village (that's where I live). It's a bike ride (20 mins) or 2 busses (free bus pass) from school, though.

"" The best location and one I most enjoyed was the area south of campus off Western Rd. where a large contingency of graduate students reside (Platt's Lane Estates) or even a bit further south where Western Rd. turns in Wharncliffe. The rent in this area is affordable, it's on IMO the most convenient bus route (#2) which is a 5-10min max bus ride to the core of campus or downtown. There is also a shopping mall called Cherry Hill Village close by within walking distance with a 24hour grocery store that has a reasonable selection and prices. ""

I read this post by a previous poster and searched for some houses around this area. I will probably end up in this area. It's far from  5-10 min bus ride? Gold - I'll probably walk to school.  Close to shopping/grocery centre? Gold. It is also close the entertainment district and away from the majority of undergrads.  

Are you fimilar with this area? What do you know about it? How is the atmosphere etc.. As long as the atmosphere isn't "dead". This is my first time moving away for school. I've always commuted/went to a commuter school. 

Ummm. It's a really really dead area. Totally suburban. The mall is mostly inhabited by seniors. It's a running joke here. There is a veterans affairs office there. 98% of the people there are over 75.

If you want life, I suggest old south/wortley village or downtown to the east of victoria park. Do not go east of Adelaide unless you go to old east (urban renewal-trad a lot of junkies etc but now gentrifying. We go to the farmers market there). Both of these areas will give you the most urban feeling available in London.

Much of london is quite suburban in feeling. If u want to avoid this then you have limited options. If you don't care then your options are broader

Ummm. It's a really really dead area. Totally suburban. The mall is mostly inhabited by seniors. It's a running joke here. There is a veterans affairs office there. 98% of the people there are over 75.

If you want life, I suggest old south/wortley village or downtown to the east of victoria park. Do not go east of Adelaide unless you go to old east (urban renewal-trad a lot of junkies etc but now gentrifying. We go to the farmers market there). Both of these areas will give you the most urban feeling available in London.

Much of london is quite suburban in feeling. If u want to avoid this then you have limited options. If you don't care then your options are broaderBy dead, I mean no other students within the area and just a boring atmosphere. Why are the houses that are very close to campus 800$+ a month? That is crazy.

Anyway, where do you suggest is best place to live? 2 buses to get to school sounds like hell.

Now I'm a little confused. I don't know where I want to stay.

Edited by pudden

Well, I bike to school year round and it takes 20 mins (or 25 if I'm slow).

If you want one bus to school BUT you also want an area with some life, then downtown is your only option.

If you live at the Platt's lane apartments (grad housing), there are lots of grads around and it is close to the geriatric mall, true. But it's still in the middle of nowhere.

Where do you live now? Maybe that will help inform me about what you want/expect.

Well, I bike to school year round and it takes 20 mins (or 25 if I'm slow).

If you want one bus to school BUT you also want an area with some life, then downtown is your only option.

If you live at the Platt's lane apartments (grad housing), there are lots of grads around and it is close to the geriatric mall, true. But it's still in the middle of nowhere.

Where do you live now? Maybe that will help inform me about what you want/expect.

Hey check your inbox. I sent you a message.

• 1 month later...

I'm starting the MLIS program in the fall and am trying to find housing! Just wondering what these areas are like ...  I'm looking at a few apartments- one on Wharncliffe Rd N, one on Dundas, one on Central Ave and one on Western Rd near the school. Any of these  known to be terrible areas or good areas? 

Dundas is generally considered to be bad, but it does depend where on dundas. Western Rd is fine, as is Wharncliffe (though it can be very run down). Good areas are: Downtown, Old North, Old South. Some people also live around the Canada Games Aquatic Centre which is also fine, but a bit isolated (prob need a car to live here).