Vee

Thanks jrg - I received my letter in the mail hours after posting... turns out my topic wasn't eligible for being "too health related"... although I had hoped it was okay enough since my school forwarded me on the A list and never said anything! (Would be nice if my supervisors would have given me the heads up to apply for CIHR just to be safe...was completely unaware of the eligibility rules during the oh-so-stressful graduate application deadline time) ...Oh well, one more spot for someone else! OSAP application to commence shortly....lol

just to clarify....those recipients on the waitlist, were you forwarded on your schools' A list or as alternates for your schools. Thanks.

Forward by my school as an alternate.

i am in the exact same situation. i have already confirmed SSHRC but have no idea how to decline OGS now.

ahhh. can anyone help?

I was waitlisted and have received notice of the award today!

However, I was also awarded OGS and decided to accept it (thinking the wait-list was a shot in the dark) on June 29th. Has anyone else experienced this or know if there is a way to decline OGS after being awarded and accept SSHRC instead?

i am in the exact same situation. i have already confirmed SSHRC but have no idea how to decline OGS now.

ahhh. can anyone help?

I contacted the Scholarships Awards Coordinator in the Faculty of Graduate Studies since there was no phone number to call on the OGS acceptance letter and she was able to decline the award for me through the OGS Program Officer. Hope you can do the same if you're still unsure of how to decline OGS :)

Hey everyone-- I was told I was on the SSHRC alternate list back in March for my (small canadian) school-- I suppose I can only manage to get the scholarship if enough people decline?

Thing is, I haven't heard ANYTHING yet, and it's July 20th. Will they tell me one way or another? How does being an alternate work?

Hey everyone-- I was told I was on the SSHRC alternate list back in March for my (small canadian) school-- I suppose I can only manage to get the scholarship if enough people decline?

Thing is, I haven't heard ANYTHING yet, and it's July 20th. Will they tell me one way or another? How does being an alternate work?

Desalbert- I contacted SSHRC this week via phone because I was wondering the same thing. I'm on the alternate list and haven't heard anything from them since a confirmation they had my application in February. Basically, they told me that should funds come available they will contact me via e-mail. I asked if there was a last date this could happen by, as I know OGS only gives funds up until December 2, 2012, and they said "no".

To me, it means that basically if someone declines their award or drops out I might get money, but I know my school doesn't have that many award recipients (20) so the chances of that happening, in my opinion are very small!

Hope this helps!

Desalbert- I contacted SSHRC this week via phone because I was wondering the same thing. I'm on the alternate list and haven't heard anything from them since a confirmation they had my application in February. Basically, they told me that should funds come available they will contact me via e-mail. I asked if there was a last date this could happen by, as I know OGS only gives funds up until December 2, 2012, and they said "no".

To me, it means that basically if someone declines their award or drops out I might get money, but I know my school doesn't have that many award recipients (20) so the chances of that happening, in my opinion are very small!

Hope this helps!

Okay, so if it happens it happens, and if it never comes, that means the funds never opened up-- Makes sense. Via email though, not by regular mail? Seems like a switch up in policy, but I suppose 'tis the way of the alternate. My school is small, -- and indeed the chances seem tremendously unlikely.

Thanks so much for the clarification. Now I know exactly what I needed to know. :D

Hi everyone. I'm having one of my momentary bouts of panic that I haven't done everything to activate SSHRC. All we had to do was accept our award and then forward the two payment activation forms to our institution (which then forwarded one of them to SSHRC), correct?

Hi everyone. I'm having one of my momentary bouts of panic that I haven't done everything to activate SSHRC. All we had to do was accept our award and then forward the two payment activation forms to our institution (which then forwarded one of them to SSHRC), correct?

Yes, that's all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!

Some hope for those still on the waitlist - I was just informed that my application is now (finally) successful and I've been awarded SSHRC. Since I'm out of the country I was informed by email (as requested). Good luck to all of those still waiting!

I couldn't find a definitive answer on the website (and they haven't responded to my email) but the SSHRC is only for use in Canada right?

More hope for those on alternates lists - I was just offered a Bombardier Master's Scholarship. It was a very pleasant surprise as I had assumed that all the awards would have been given out by this time. Does anybody know how getting the CGS Master's typically impacts your departmental Master's funding? Does it simply vary school to school?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After months of lost hope, I received an email this morning (December 3rd, 2012) stating that I am now elegible for a J. Bombardier Master's Scholarship.

I, like many of you, applied in the fall of 2011. I was sent by my school as an alternate (with a strong application) and have been wait-listed since the spring.

If you hear nothing, that's generally a good thing. This race isn't over until someone declares it so.

All the best,

A

• 2 months later...

My application was forwarded by my university. The problem is, however, that for one of my past 2 years of study I did not actually have a first class average. Now it's been posted that those applying for the MA SSHRCC who get forwarded by their university usually get it (it is a kind of 'rubber stamp' at Ottawa). Will grades be something they check for? Might this stop me from getting it?

"Your school should tell you where you are on the list (contact your Grad Studies/or Grad Fac, they told me in February when I found out I was an alternate, but I imagine it is different from school to school - my school sent 8 alternate candidates) because at the MA level it's 'pro forma', i.e. the ranking/results at the University level (not department level, though) stay the same at SSHRC, unless there is some glaring error with your application which the University failed to notice."

Hi there,

I'm wondering what counts as a 'glaring error.' My university just forwarded my application on the A-list for the MA SSHRCC. However, in one of my last two years of study, I did not have a first class average, which seems to go against the eligibility requirements for the award. Do you know if this will prevent me from receiving the scholarship?

Hi there,

I'm wondering what counts as a 'glaring error.' My university just forwarded my application on the A-list for the MA SSHRCC. However, in one of my last two years of study, I did not have a first class average, which seems to go against the eligibility requirements for the award. Do you know if this will prevent me from receiving the scholarship?

I don't think so, in my experience.

• 2 months later...