Vee

Hey there. I was waitlisted as SSHRC alternate (#1 alternate, mind you) and I received a Master's SSHRC in early August last year (after an early May announcement.) So there is definitely hope - especially if you're at the top of the list. Where are you on the list? I know several people who were waitlisted for the MA SSHRC and eventually received one (sometimes even in January of the next year).

Congrats on nabbing your SSHRC! #1 on a waitlist is an amazing accomplishment (though it's even better that you ended up getting one)! Thanks for sharing your experience.

My school didn't tell me where I was on the waitlist -- are they supposed to tell you, or does SSHRC? Also, how do would late acceptances/payments work assuming that you receive an OGS and are waitlisted for SSHRC, and you accept the OGS with the expectation that you won't get SSHRC?

Congrats on nabbing your SSHRC! #1 on a waitlist is an amazing accomplishment (though it's even better that you ended up getting one)! Thanks for sharing your experience.

My school didn't tell me where I was on the waitlist -- are they supposed to tell you, or does SSHRC? Also, how do would late acceptances/payments work assuming that you receive an OGS and are waitlisted for SSHRC, and you accept the OGS with the expectation that you won't get SSHRC?

Hi there,

Your school should tell you where you are on the list (contact your Grad Studies/or Grad Fac, they told me in February when I found out I was an alternate, but I imagine it is different from school to school - my school sent 8 alternate candidates) because at the MA level it's 'pro forma', i.e. the ranking/results at the University level (not department level, though) stay the same at SSHRC, unless there is some glaring error with your application which the University failed to notice.

So, people who are sent to SSHRC are almost guaranteed to win a SSHRC (not guarantee for alternates, of course) because the federal competition is pro forma, basically a rubber stamp. Whereas at the PhD level, you have no guarantee you will win anything - in fact, it's about 50/50 if your application was sent to the federal level.

In terms of accepting OGS and then receiving a SSHRC at some later point, I really don't know how that works. I think I've come across something similar on one of these threads. It's a total guess, but I think you might be eligible for a few months of SSHRC. If your OGS is worth $15,000 for example, you might be eligible for another $2500 or something (making it $17,500) but again, this is all conjecture. But I am almost guarantee someone else has been in this situation before, so look around gradcafe or ask your financial aid/awards office - I'm sure they've dealt with that situation.

For direct to SSHRC applicants, I have no idea. Did they tell you you're on a waitlist? If so, where? I have no idea what happens with those applicants because my history with SSHRC is all through an intermediary institution.

Hope that helps. Good luck. Don't give up but don't get your hopes up. Just move on and perhaps a pleasant surprise awaits! And don't let the outcome dictate your academic/self-worth... it's a total crapshoot. Lots of qualified people get them, lots of mediocre students do. It depends on the level of competition at your institution that year, in your discipline, etc. etc. etc.

I've been supplementing my SSHRC thumb-twirling with frequent visits to the doctoral SSHRC page. Folks there are speculating that news may not come out until May. <_<

I have a question about the A list and B list. I have noticed that the direct-to-SSHRC doctoral candidates are informed whether or not they have been forwarded to the national competition based on being placed in an A list or a B list. Is this also true for Masters Candidates? I am a direct-to- SSHRC applicant and I haven't heard anything back from SSHRC except for their emailing saying they received my application.

I have a question about the A list and B list. I have noticed that the direct-to-SSHRC doctoral candidates are informed whether or not they have been forwarded to the national competition based on being placed in an A list or a B list. Is this also true for Masters Candidates? I am a direct-to- SSHRC applicant and I haven't heard anything back from SSHRC except for their emailing saying they received my application.

I had an MA SSHRC (also a direct applicant) and I only found out at the end of the competition that I had been successful, I wasn't notified at all during the interim. So I'm 90% sure that's a Doctoral only procedure.

fingers crossed sshrc actually mails out responses early this week so we get them late this week or early next! the waiting is killing me! and even worse i leaving the country next wednesday so my boyfriend has to open the letter for me!

Hey all!

First poster here - I've been lurking around the site for a while, but I had a quick question that I had to ask: do you know what kind of success rate applied-through-university applicants have? I was forwarded onward by my university to Ottawa, but now I have no idea if it's a 50/50 crapshoot, or something else?

Thanks so much, and good luck to everyone!

Just to warn you, MA results are always 2-3 results later than Doctoral ones. :(

I always find this surprising since it seems that MA apps are much more likely to be rubber stamped than seriously adjudicated (bc they rely so heavily on your school's recommendation to forward you -- nearly everyone who gets forwarded to SSHRC by their school gets one).

Fingers crossed for everyone -- remember, the waiting simply can't last forever!

Hey all!

First poster here - I've been lurking around the site for a while, but I had a quick question that I had to ask: do you know what kind of success rate applied-through-university applicants have? I was forwarded onward by my university to Ottawa, but now I have no idea if it's a 50/50 crapshoot, or something else?

Thanks so much, and good luck to everyone!

Applicants forwarded by schools have pretty close to 100% success. Direct-to-SSHRC applicants seems to be lower but there's no stats on the MA competition so it's hard to know. If you got forwarded by your school, you've got an excellent, excellent chance of getting one.

Edited by cathaea

Applicants forwarded by schools have pretty close to 100% success. Direct-to-SSHRC applicants seems to be lower but there's no stats on the MA competition so it's hard to know. If you got forwarded by your school, you've got an excellent, excellent chance of getting one.

Thank you so much for the quick reply! I won't bank on it, but it will be a very happy day if I get that letter in the mail.

Thanks again!

Edited by leannemichelle10

I am so stressed after reading this thread and being a direct-to-SSHRC applicant. :unsure:

Don't be! I was a direct to SHHRC applicant 2 years ago and I got one with a pretty terrible plan of study (the deadline crept up very fast on me since I was out of school, so I rush-wrote it in one night), not stellar grades (last 2 yrs avg was something like 80.7) and probably decent references (I didn't know them super well but I did okay in their classes & they're both tenured/respected profs who would have told me to take a hike if they didn't want to write it) and I got one. Granted, I did have exceptional circumstances that affected my grades that maybe they considered but honestly, I think you guys all have really good chances.

Hey everyone,

Timeline update: I had to submit a change of address, and the information sent back from SSHRC indicated that results aren't being mailed out until May. Ouch. Happy waiting to all.

Hey everyone,

Timeline update: I had to submit a change of address, and the information sent back from SSHRC indicated that results aren't being mailed out until May. Ouch. Happy waiting to all.

Thanks for the heads up! I was figuring May anyway... but it didn't stop me hoping for April...

Hey everyone,

Hi Veeto,

How did you submit a change of address? I have had to move last-minute, and am a little nervous my SSHRC letter will get misplaced! I logged in to the SSHRC page but the only place I could see to change it was under the C.V., and I didn't get any info sent back from SSHRC. Is this how you did it? Thanks for the help!

Also, to the rest, I got an email from my school's external fellowships coordinator saying that the result notices were not expected until late May. Deep, deep sigh.

Hey, I sent an email to this address: Fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca

I've been stressing about the address thing too as I'm out of the country as of May 19....was really hoping to hear before then! Yeesh.

Thank you Cathaea! Makes me feel better..

I'm sure this has come up in the forum sometime before, but it seems so silly that they don't send out the SSHRC results until well after most people have to accept the offers from universities, and some might need SSHRC to go.. K, now I'm just venting because I'm one of the most impatient people on the planet.