Vee

Looks like there are possibly less doctoral awards this year, if the news in their thread is anything to go on. Does anyone know if the total number of Master's SSHRCs decreased this year?

No one will really know that until the results are released.

I mean, at the Doctoral level we had no clue until today, when the first letters began arriving. Those budget cuts had to go somewhere, right? Sigh.

No one will really know that until the results are released.

I mean, at the Doctoral level we had no clue until today, when the first letters began arriving. Those budget cuts had to go somewhere, right? Sigh.

Totally. Budget cuts at work (federal gov employee), and at school? I guess so. Yay economic downturns! Haha. :)

Totally. Budget cuts at work (federal gov employee), and at school? I guess so. Yay economic downturns! Haha. :)

But hey, at least some budget has been opened up for the upcoming Royal visit!

(Yeah, I'm a tad bitter about that.)

But hey, at least some budget has been opened up for the upcoming Royal visit!

(Yeah, I'm a tad bitter about that.)

I think it's fair of us to sacrifice funding for our education to cater to a monarch from a country that often doesn't even realize she's our monarch too... :P

(But I digress... now we continue the waiting game...)

Edited by leannemichelle10

Yah me too....I think it's a bad sign that the message didn't specify 'early May' - yikes!

you are right, it is a bad sign. sshrc says: "@lamcphie Sorry for the delayed reply! Results for master's should be out by mid- to late May. Good luck!" via their twitter (an hour ago).

*sigh*

aaarrggghh!! what the hell sshrc!! early april really should be changed to MAY because i dont think they have released in april for years!

This is really ridiculous! I applied for the May 1st SSHRC because I need it for my summer fieldwork and now I'm only finding out at the end of May! I'm basically going into the field having no idea if I have funding available or not... In the future SSHRC should really be clear with those students applying for the early dispersal and inform them that they may not get their funding on time.

you are right, it is a bad sign. sshrc says: "@lamcphie Sorry for the delayed reply! Results for master's should be out by mid- to late May. Good luck!" via their twitter (an hour ago).

*sigh*

Many thanks for letting us know (and many thanks to Cathaea as well). At least for a while I won't be jumping like crazy each time something comes through my door's mail slot. In any case, this waiting is most annoying. They should give at least a reasonable tentative clue to what release dates people should expect.

I did! U of T right? My heart dropped when I received the email....but it wasn't very meaningful lol.

I was hoping that they would give a more specific announcement date, but it said 'in the next few weeks'......sigh

Yeah they really didn;t need to send that email until AFTER the results were released

Yeah they really didn;t need to send that email until AFTER the results were released

What did this email say? What UofT department was it from? I'm heading into an Anthro MA at UofT but haven't heard a peep.

Further to my email in February, the results of the SSHRC Masters Awards are expected to be released by SSHRC in the next few weeks. I would like to wish you the best of luck and hope for a positive outcome.

If you are successful and receive an award offer from SSHRC, please read SSHRC’s instructions carefully and adhere to all deadlines. Successful candidates wishing to activate their award at the University of Toronto can find further instructions below.

If you plan to hold your award at another university please contact them directly as their instructions will be different.

Accepting a SSHRC Award:

Students must notify SSHRC within four weeks of the date on the Notice of Award of their decision to accept or refuse the award.

To accept the award, students must send SSHRC an email or fax (613-943-1329), specifying the start date of their award, the university they will hold the award and department of tenure. SSHRC will cancel any award not accepted by the above deadline. Notification by telephone is not acceptable.

Start Date:

· Students must commence their SSHRC award on the date as indicated by SSHRC on their Notice of Award; a change in the start date from that indicated may affect your eligibility for the award or the award value or duration.

· To receive the full value of your CGS-M, award holders must be registered for 12 consecutive months. Students who commence their award in September 2012 but complete their degree requirements by April 30, 2013 are not eligible for the full value and will receive a prorated amount.

· If you are currently registered for the summer 2012 session, it is recommended that you start your award immediately (May 2012).

· Please contact SSHRC by email to receive approval for any changes to the start date of your award.

SSHRC Payment Activation:

· To arrange for payment of a SSHRC Award, UofT students will need to complete and forward the following 3 documents to their home Graduate Unit.

· Your Graduate Unit will complete and sign the bottom portion of Form 1 Part II, then scan and transferr all three documents to the SGSdrive to be sent electronically to Awards Office at SGS.

· The Graduate Awards Office at SGS is responsible for forwarding all completed Payment Activation Forms to SSHRC on behalf of the Student.

1. Payment Activation Form 1 (Part I)

2. Payment Activation Form 1 (Part II)

3. A copy of your Notice of Award from SSHRC

a) If you have requested and received approval from SSHRC for a change in start date please include a copy of this email communication as well

Forms are also available here (http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/using-utiliser/guide-A/forms-formulaires-eng.aspx)

Your SSHRC Award Holders Guide and relevant forms can be found at the following link:

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/using-utiliser/guides-eng.aspx

Please visit SSHRC Resource Centre for any future questions you may have regrading your SSHRC Award.

For more information about manging your award at UofT please referr to the SGS website or the Graduate Awards Office:

Graduate Awards Office

School of Graduate Studies

Room 202

63 St. George Street

University of Toronto M5S 2Z9

Tel: 416-946-0808

Fax: 416-971-2864

Email: graduate.awards@utoronto.ca

Did you apply through UofT for your application to SSHRC? Or through a separate institution or as an independent but stated in your application that you are intending to go to UofT?

Thanks for all the info!

I applied through the department of East Asian Studies and stated I was to stay at UT for my master with a collaborative program in Asia-Pacific Studies.

Did you receive an email last February by Laura D. Stathopoulos She is the Awards Officer at Graduate Awards Office at UT.

It seems to me that she probably only emails students already attending UofT. Since you are from Victoria, perhaps things are a bit different. :-)

Edited by kang1004

I don't think anyone's posted this, and I don't know how helpful it might be, but this is from SSHRC's Latest News section, dated May 7. The relevant excerpt is:

Adjudication by the multidisciplinary committee for the Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program Master’s Scholarships took place on April 16, 2012. Notices to successful applicants are expected to go out in mid-May.

From: http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/news_room-salle_de_presse/latest_news-nouvelles_recentes/sshrc_news_may_2012-nouvelles_crsh_mai_2012-eng.aspx

So I guess this means they already know who'll get the awards, we're just waiting for them to mail out the results.

kang1004 and truthfinder! you guys rock for posting this info! the place where i applied for my MA (McMaster U) did not yet send out any (preparatory) information. in any case, i have not received any email yet. at least now i know what to expect... in case all goes well, of course

I don't think anyone's posted this, and I don't know how helpful it might be, but this is from SSHRC's Latest News section, dated May 7. The relevant excerpt is:

So I guess this means they already know who'll get the awards, we're just waiting for them to mail out the results.

So they've known all this time but are just not telling us? That makes me even more angry.

That's a little frustrating, but thanks for the info! I wish there wasn't such a waiting period between deciding and telling. On a good note (unless you're me and knowing even this is enough to make you panic), I met one of the administrators of my program this week, and she's under the impression that the results will be released very soon.

Everyone has surely already read in this forum that the MA competiion is but a rubber stamp by SSHRC and if your uni recommends you, you are pretty sure to receive the grant. Somehow, I can't help but be stressed anyway giving the recent cuts by the gov't.

Having accepted my MA offer already I can't help but be scared by the fact that if suddenly I don't get that grant, I'll be ranking so much debt for my MA (on top of my undergrad) that I'll never be able to escape poverty 0_o Ok I know, I'm exagerating a little bit, but damn, if it's really just a rubber stamp, why are they taking one month to mail these results!!! Do they want us to doubt ourselves so no one get the impression that SSHRC really approve all uni nominations? Ok, I might be suffering from delirium....