Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

What's your specialization?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Subfield(s)? (141 member(s) have cast votes)

Subfield(s)?

1. Syntax (22 votes [15.60%])

Percentage of vote: 15.60%

2. Semantics (16 votes [11.35%])

Percentage of vote: 11.35%

3. Phonetics/Phonology (26 votes [18.44%])

Percentage of vote: 18.44%

4. Morphology (7 votes [4.96%])

Percentage of vote: 4.96%

5. Psycholinguistics (22 votes [15.60%])

Percentage of vote: 15.60%

6. Computational (9 votes [6.38%])

Percentage of vote: 6.38%

7. Historical (12 votes [8.51%])

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

8. Other (specify in a post!) (19 votes [13.48%])

Percentage of vote: 13.48%

9. Formal (5 votes [3.55%])

Percentage of vote: 3.55%

10. Functional (3 votes [2.13%])

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 LinguisticMystic

LinguisticMystic

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Program:Linguistics

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

Have a BA in psychology with an interest in individual differences &, to a lesser degree, evolutionary theory. Pursuing studies in sociolinguistics. Like a boss. @PhDreaming, I'm with you -- I have a lot of love for sociolinguistics. =)

4 (~A) 1 (~W 2 (~R)

#42 PhDreaming

PhDreaming

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationBoulder

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:57 AM

LinguisticMystic - Who was your POI at UW-Madison. That's where I did my undergrad and wanted so badly to find a way to go back there for the PhD but didn't have anyone to work with. Considered the PhD in ELL through the English department because they have some stellar faculty there (Anja Wanner, Eric Raimy and now Tom Purnell) but I just really wanted to be in a variationist socioling program ... If you get in there and go for a visit it will be hard to leave :-P
Cheers!

Applied: Stanford; The Ohio State; University of Colorado Boulder
Rejected: Stanford
Wait-listed:
Short-listed: University of Colorado Boulder
Accepted: The Ohio State

#43 LinguisticMystic

LinguisticMystic

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

Well, I'm applying to the MA offered through the English dept. & I'm more interested in the program as a whole I suppose. That along with the opportunity to continue studying Wisconsin Englishes. I should mention that I live in Wisconsin & that may have something to do with my applying to this program... It's a bit different from what I'm looking for in the other programs I've applied to. I love Madison though, so I'd be happy living there.

4 (~A) 1 (~W 2 (~R)

#44 AppPsycholinX

AppPsycholinX

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA
  • Program:Linguistics PhD

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:41 AM

I choose syntax. Specifically, I am into syntax and its interfaces (morphosyntax, syntax and semantics interface). I am interested in East Asian linguistics.

#45 Athenrein

Athenrein

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

Much love for sociolinguistics here too. I voted morphology. Mostly because it was when I took my undergrad morphology course that I became absolutely sure that linguistics was the right field for me. I had been pretty sure before, but then I KNEW.

I like non-Indo-European morphology specifically. I want to work with endangered languages.

Edited by Athenrein, 10 January 2012 - 02:03 PM.

Harvard, Stanford, UC Berkeley, University of Colorado at Boulder (accepted! ...for MA without funding), University of Washington

#46 Grad Nat

Grad Nat

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCaracas, Venezuela
  • Program:PhD program at McGill

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:24 AM

No love for sociolinguistics in this piece? For shame.

Here's some love for sociolinguistics! I applied to the PhD program in McGill University. I have been told that sociolinguistics is not McGill's main focus, but I'm really interested in prof. Boberg's work.

#47 antecedent

antecedent

Macchiato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationVancouver
  • Application Season:2014 Fall

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:53 PM

Here's some more love for sociolinguistics! I'm quite new to the linguistics scene but I'm really excited about the programs I applied to. I'm also very interested in the syntax and grammar of English.

Rejected: 8

Waitlisted: 1

Accepted: 1

Attending: SUNY Buffalo

#48 cunninglinguist

cunninglinguist

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Program:PhD, Linguistics

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

I'm applying for PhD Programs in Theoretical Ling, but hoping people will be keen on my interest in Endangered Languages. I love language policy and am hoping to find a place that'll let me explore both areas (ie Georgetown...which hasn't gotten back to me ::sigh::)
Applied: UMass Amherst, UConn, Harvard, MIT, Maryland, NYU, Georgetown, McGill, Cornell
Interviews: Harvard, McGill, Maryland
Rejected: Cornell, MIT, UMass Amherst, NYU

ATTENDING: GEORGETOWN!!!!!

#49 newleaf

newleaf

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

I'm applying for PhD Programs in Theoretical Ling, but hoping people will be keen on my interest in Endangered Languages. I love language policy and am hoping to find a place that'll let me explore both areas (ie Georgetown...which hasn't gotten back to me ::sigh: :)

Thank you for your username.

#50 Canadianlinguist

Canadianlinguist

Double Shot

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Program:Linguistics M.A

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

Hey guys, My interest is in language aquistion from a phonological standpoint for speakers with specific native languages. You can probably tell I am not in graduate school yet because that isn't very clear but basically I am interested in language aquistion, phonetics and phonolgy. I am going to get an MA before I get a phD...anyways I don't know if this name will ring a bell with anyone but my POI as an undergrade is Ettien Koffi. His research isn't super well known but it is kind iof (I think at least) he has also done some cool stuff investigating the samali language
Applied to: Univeristy of Minnesota Linguistics MA, Univeristy of Minnesota Second Language and Cultures MA, Syracuse Linguistics MA, Michigan State Linguistics M.A, Eastern Michigan Linguistics M.A, Unviersity of Colorado Boulder Linguistics M.A, Mankato State TESL

Accepte to: Syracuse (with no funding) Posted Image Mankato State TESL (deferred acceptance from last year)

Rejected: Univeristy of Minnesota Second Language and cultures

All the rest pending

#51 Lt. Mango

Lt. Mango

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:19 AM

I picked psycholinguistics. Specifically, I'm interested in bilingual and second language acquisition :)

#52 Canadianlinguist

Canadianlinguist

Double Shot

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:23 AM

I picked psycholinguistics. Specifically, I'm interested in bilingual and second language acquisition :)

Very interesting where are you going to school?
Applied to: Univeristy of Minnesota Linguistics MA, Univeristy of Minnesota Second Language and Cultures MA, Syracuse Linguistics MA, Michigan State Linguistics M.A, Eastern Michigan Linguistics M.A, Unviersity of Colorado Boulder Linguistics M.A, Mankato State TESL

Accepte to: Syracuse (with no funding) Posted Image Mankato State TESL (deferred acceptance from last year)

All the rest pending

#53 Lt. Mango

Lt. Mango

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

I did my undergrad at UCLA, and I've been accepted to UH Manoa. I'm still waiting on Rutgers and UMD, but at this point I'm assuming I've been silently rejected :-P

#54 Canadianlinguist

Canadianlinguist

Double Shot

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

Hawii eh? sweet I am kinda jealous

You never know I'm waiting on Mich State and when I called they literally said they just haven't fone them yet.

All the rest pending

#55 Lt. Mango

Lt. Mango

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

jeez that's late...you'd think they would take mercy on us! :-P

#56 Canadianlinguist

Canadianlinguist

Double Shot

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:47 PM

Yeah sometimes I wonder if they take pride in making us misterable.

All the rest pending

#57 100freestyle

100freestyle

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

More love for sociolinguistics! I am interested in language policy in education. I've been accepted to Georgetown's MLC program, which is my dream program except for its lack of funding...

#58 annette2010

annette2010

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLondon
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:PhD in (Socio)Linguistics

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

hmmm
doing sociolinguistics but also interested in phonetics/phonology...
so I voted for the latter :P

btw, sociolinguistics is quite popular here? hahah :)

#59 GeoLing

GeoLing

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas
  • Application Season:2013 Fall
  • Program:Linguistics PhD

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

I voted psycholinguistics. Specifically, I'm interested in sociocognitive relationships between language and the cultural landscape. I'm curious about how natural and built environments affect the behavior of bilingual speakers of minority speakers. My B.A. was in Geography, and my M.A. was in English, with concentrations in Geography and Linguistics. I'll be working with Andrea Berez at the University of Hawaii at Manoa starting this fall, and I absolutely cannot wait!

Will be Attending: University of Hawaii at Manoa!

#60 antecedent

antecedent

Macchiato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationVancouver
  • Application Season:2014 Fall

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

I'm generally not a fan of dredging up old posts, but I thought I'd bite in order to lol heartily at my comment from last year. When I said I had no idea what I was doing, I was serious...a year on and I'm about as far from sociolx as you can get without straight up being in a different field. 

In any case, the flavor of the week here in antecedent-ville seems to be syntax-semantics, syntax-pragmatics, and psycholinguistics, all in how they relate to resolution of syntactic ambiguity. 

Rejected: 8

Waitlisted: 1

Accepted: 1

Attending: SUNY Buffalo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users