• Computational
    • Historical
    • Other (specify in a post!)
    • Formal
    • Functional

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I voted psycholinguistics. Specifically, I'm interested in sociocognitive relationships between language and the cultural landscape. I'm curious about how natural and built environments affect the behavior of bilingual speakers of minority speakers. My B.A. was in Geography, and my M.A. was in English, with concentrations in Geography and Linguistics. I'll be working with Andrea Berez at the University of Hawaii at Manoa starting this fall, and I absolutely cannot wait!

I'm generally not a fan of dredging up old posts, but I thought I'd bite in order to lol heartily at my comment from last year. When I said I had no idea what I was doing, I was serious...a year on and I'm about as far from sociolx as you can get without straight up being in a different field. 

In any case, the flavor of the week here in antecedent-ville seems to be syntax-semantics, syntax-pragmatics, and psycholinguistics, all in how they relate to resolution of syntactic ambiguity. 

I chose syntax, which is what I primarily work on. Right now, I'm interested in syntactic aspects of ergativity (i.e. how languages can look ergative structurally rather than purely morphologically, and why they look that way).

On the phonological side, I'm kind of interested in how stress and tone interact in tonal languages, and would like to learn more!

. . .  syntax-semantics, syntax-pragmatics, and psycholinguistics, all in how they relate to resolution of syntactic ambiguity. 

I chose psycholinguistics on the poll, but within that, my interests are varied. They range from information structure (discourse status and focus) to syntax-semantics (particularly in garden-path resolution).

Just curious, antecedent, are you at the University of Edinburgh now? If you don't mind my asking, who are you working with? Thanks!