Univ of Southern California PhD ECE related

aus1983

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have been accepted in the PhD program of Computer Science at USC.

Currently, I am in my final year of Undergraduate Studies.

But, I also have an admit from UIUC for MS in CS with partial funding.

At this point of time, I am pretty sure that I want to join a PhD program, so my first priority is USC. Moreover, my research interests are also inclined more towards a professor in USC compared to professors in UIUC.

However, I have few questions on deciding between the two and I would be very grateful if any1 can answer these question of mine.

1)Since I am only an undergraduate student, so will I be able to earn MS degree on the way to my PhD at USC?

2)Will it be a wise decision to reject the MS offer from UIUC because if i accept it, i will have an option of taking/not taking PhD later on. Whereas, if I accept the PhD offer from USC, will I be able to leave in the middle (and get an MS degree) in case i get disenchanted from research?

1)Since I am only an undergraduate student, so will I be able to earn MS degree on the way to my PhD at USC?

Most programs have some method for making the MS available to PhD candidates en route to their doctorate. You may need to do some additional work, but many schools award it automatically if you reach a certain point in the PhD program. Check with USC for their own procedure.

2)Will it be a wise decision to reject the MS offer from UIUC because if i accept it, i will have an option of taking/not taking PhD later on. Whereas, if I accept the PhD offer from USC, will I be able to leave in the middle (and get an MS degree) in case i get disenchanted from research?

You ALWAYS have the option of leaving your program. Most schools will allow you to receive an MS if you have completed an appropriate amount of work. Some are even famous for it: The only ways to get an MS in engineering at MIT are (1) by doing an integrated undergrad/grad program or (2) by dropping out of the PhD program.

Hi,

I have been accepted in the PhD program of Computer Science at USC.

Currently, I am in my final year of Undergraduate Studies.

But, I also have an admit from UIUC for MS in CS with partial funding.

At this point of time, I am pretty sure that I want to join a PhD program, so my first priority is USC. Moreover, my research interests are also inclined more towards a professor in USC compared to professors in UIUC.

However, I have few questions on deciding between the two and I would be very grateful if any1 can answer these question of mine.

1) Yes

and

2) Yes, I have known of a few people that did that.

I'm actually currently an undergrad at USC. Great weather here. =D

Thank you for your reply guys.

Yes, some schools are popular for giving MS degree en route to the Doctoral studies, as well as the drop out rates from their PhD programs (and leaving with MS) are quite high. But, I wanted to know about this process for USC, particularly for the CS department. Can i be involved in any legal matters at USC, if I decide to quit after completing the course work for two years?

Moreover, with fellowship, does it make the process of leaving in middle much difficult as compared to students with RAship???

Hey... I'm in roughly the same position as you are. I think having a fellowship may make it easier to leave. You dont really owe anything to your advisor since hes not been paying for you. I guess.