Should I take the GRE again? (Applying for M.A. Education)

shl67

Hello! I posted this in the GRE forum, but I figured it would be nice to get some advice from people especially interested in Education. I want to get a Master's in Education along with licensure to teach in secondary schools, but I'm on the fence about whether or not I should take the GRE again.

I took it with zero preparation and had just gotten my wisdom teeth out the day before (therefore on plenty of vicodin as well), so let's just say that I didn't do my best. I ended up with:

630 Verbal (90%)

660 Quantitative (61%)

4 Writing (48%, ouch)

Do you think that's enough to get into most grad programs in Education (barring high-tier programs such as HGSE, etc.)? How much do they look at the writing score? To give you an idea of the schools I'm looking at, they include UT Austin, U Michigan, U Washington, UNC-Chapel Hill, etc.

I graduated from Cornell with majors in English, French, and German with a GPA of 3.93... do you think that might shift the focus off my less-than-stellar test scores?!

Thanks for your advice!

Your V and Q scores are high enough for Master's in Education programs (HGSE's averages are 600V/660Q). Your writing score is a bit lower than most program's averages, but not significantly so. Since you're applying for Fall 2013, you have time to prepare for a retake, but on the other hand, you'd have to prep for the new test format, which may or may not play to your strengths.

• 2 weeks later...

You might consider emailing a current student at some prospective schools to see what they think. I suspect that if you have a strong writing sample, they would look past your GRE score, but I don't know.

Do I remember correctly that, when GRE scores are sent, ALL test scores taken are sent? If so, then the universities will see this first score anyway, and it may be worth telling a prof what your score was and asking for his/her opinions. (Don't do this in the first email, I'd say, but I know the grad student adviser for my program was really helpful as I went through the application process. This was especially important for me as I'm far removed from my undergrad years so I couldn't get help from them.)

Every score from within the past 5 (?) years is sent. To the OP: Your scores should be fine for the Ed.M. at HGSE. It depends a little on which program you pick, but with your grades backing you up, you should be good. Just make sure the rest of your app is strong, including recommendations and your statement.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar question regarding GRE. I guess my situation is much worse than the case above. My GRE score is V700,Q800,AW 3.0 (ouch~~). Quite honestly, I was literally shocked after getting my score back, because I was very confident that I did a great great job. I know some people who got accepted into Upen and Columbia with AW 3.0, but I would rather want to go Harvard, my dream school. Your sincere response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I posted this in the GRE forum, but I figured it would be nice to get some advice from people especially interested in Education. I want to get a Master's in Education along with licensure to teach in secondary schools, but I'm on the fence about whether or not I should take the GRE again.

I took it with zero preparation and had just gotten my wisdom teeth out the day before (therefore on plenty of vicodin as well), so let's just say that I didn't do my best. I ended up with:

630 Verbal (90%)

660 Quantitative (61%)

4 Writing (48%, ouch)

Do you think that's enough to get into most grad programs in Education (barring high-tier programs such as HGSE, etc.)? How much do they look at the writing score? To give you an idea of the schools I'm looking at, they include UT Austin, U Michigan, U Washington, UNC-Chapel Hill, etc.

I graduated from Cornell with majors in English, French, and German with a GPA of 3.93... do you think that might shift the focus off my less-than-stellar test scores?!

Thanks for your advice!

Do NOT retake the GRE. Your score is good enough for any school. Focus your time on living life.