Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

Vague profile names

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 0504

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBaltimore
  • Program:UMBC

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:55 AM

I'm new here and wondering why so many people have such obscure profile names? Are they worried about being discovered bad mouthing their advisors by any chance? If so I find that very amusing.

#2 fuzzylogician

fuzzylogician

Cup o' Joe

• Moderators
  • 3,254 posts
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:Linguistics PhD

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

Welcome to the Internet.

People don't usually use their own name, for privacy reasons. Anybody smart should still assume that they could be traced, if someone wanted to find out who they were badly enough, and they should know - regardless - that they should be careful in how they talk about friends and colleagues online. The Internet is a giant record of everything you do and say these days.
The advice in this post is based on my own personal experience. YMMV.
Pardon my typos..

#3 newms

newms

Cup o' Joe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • LocationMidwest US
  • Program:Computer Science Ph.D.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

I'm new here and wondering why so many people have such obscure profile names? Are they worried about being discovered bad mouthing their advisors by any chance? If so I find that very amusing.

So I'm guessing 0504 is your real name? I'm guessing most people either didn't put a lot of thought into their username or use a regular one that they use other places. There was a thread about this some time back:
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
~Henry Ford

#4 snes

snes

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Program:Musicology/Theory

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

0504 is your PIN, I'm assuming. :P

#5 0504

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

I know some people have a certain degree of ambiguity to their internet names but not to the extent I see on this site. I initially started with my usual creative twist on my identity screen-name but noticed the level of uniform extreme ambiguity and followed suit. I'm guessing the patronizing tone comes with the territory of being an angst ridden graduate student prone to cyber snark. 0504 isn't my pin, it's my birthday, but it should be my pin. Thanks for the warm welcome.

#6 snes

snes

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Program:Musicology/Theory

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:09 AM

I know some people have a certain degree of ambiguity to their internet names but not to the extent I see on this site. I initially started with my usual creative twist on my identity screen-name but noticed the level of uniform extreme ambiguity and followed suit. I'm guessing the patronizing tone comes with the territory of being an angst ridden graduate student prone to cyber snark. 0504 isn't my pin, it's my birthday, but it should be my pin. Thanks for the warm welcome.

To be fair, the last sentence of your original post came off as a bit snarky, so the responses were somewhat in tune. A bunch of people on this site use their names and some use their photos (this is not a photo of me, thankfully). A LOT of people use screennames related to their graduate application plight (like "HopingToGetIn2012"). Mine is somewhat related to my course of study, and a lot of others do that too.

One of the reasons people don't use real names here is because this is one of the VERY few places on the internet that people can vent about something like graduate applications and have a whole bunch of other people completely understand and sympathize. So I hope you stay!

#7 avicus

avicus

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationColorado
  • Program:Electrical Engineering

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

As grad students, let's not divide ourselves, lest our 'house' fall. ;)
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring. - Alexander Pope

#8 avicus

avicus

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationColorado
  • Program:Electrical Engineering

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

To be fair, the last sentence of your original post came off as a bit snarky, so the responses were somewhat in tune. A bunch of people on this site use their names and some use their photos (this is not a photo of me, thankfully). A LOT of people use screennames related to their graduate application plight (like "HopingToGetIn2012"). Mine is somewhat related to my course of study, and a lot of others do that too.

One of the reasons people don't use real names here is because this is one of the VERY few places on the internet that people can vent about something like graduate applications and have a whole bunch of other people completely understand and sympathize. So I hope you stay!

Amen to that!
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring. - Alexander Pope

#9 ktel

ktel

Cup o' Joe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Program:Engineering

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

I have pseudo-anonymity. My identity could probably be discovered quite easily by putting together a few facts about my field of study, location and lifestyle.

#10 Dal PhDer

Dal PhDer

Macchiato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationCold North
  • Program:Health, Environment, Psychology

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

A bunch of people on this site use their names and some use their photos (this is not a photo of me, thankfully).

Hahaha! That is the best part of this entire thread!

I agree for the most part about the anonymity that people prefer. A lot of us come on here wanting advice about a difficult situation in our program, and while people could probably put two and two together if they tried, the feeling that you are not going to be exposed is important.

Sometimes when I go back and read a post of mine, I start to panic about my typos and poor grammar...then I frantically search for the edit button only to realize that too much time has passed. I apologize to you now- I don't proof read what I write.. So don't judge me on my typos!

My Blog: http://ramblingsofap....wordpress.com/

#11 0504

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

I actually wasn't really sure what the "vibe" of this forum was when I first joined. I see that very clearly now it's a place to brainstorm difficult issues and I love that. I wish I had stumbled on this place a long time ago. And my last sentence came from a place of admiration not contempt...but I can see how it was taken as being a little rude. My bad.

#12 TypeA

TypeA

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Program:MPH/MPP

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:46 AM

For what it's worth, I think it's entirely realistic to hedge that folks on admissions committees might poke around the forum. Not to analyze potential admits, but to get a feel for what's being said about their program in general. And when I say "realistic," I mean I actually stumbled into a conversation about this forum with some staff--not adcomms, but still--at one of the schools I was admitted to. :)
Attending: University of Michigan School of Public Health (MPH, Health Management & Policy); University of Michigan Ford School of Public Policy (MPP)

#13 0504

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

Oh wow. Just seeing how this reputation thing works..feeling kinda depressed. I guess I should take this as an exercise in having thick skin.

#14 Cici Beanz

Cici Beanz

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationNortheast
  • Program:Medical Anthropology

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

I voted your post down, but now that I've read through I'm sorry! :)
Cici

If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent VanGogh

http://tolivetheques...s.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users