Updating Education on Facebook

edost

Here's an inconsequential, silly question: when do you update your Facebook info so it will show you're attending the new program you've been accepted into? Have you updated it already, or will you do it when it's closer to the beginning of the school year?

Edited by edost

Ha! I'm glad someone brought this up - I tend to wait until I've enrolled, but I am seeing more and more people update their information once they accept an offer.

I updated mine shortly after acceptance, since I just wanted to get it out of the way. It's also an interesting way to announce your new school to friends, lol.

Am I alone in thinking this is a bit tacky? In my view, you're not really affiliated with the program until you actually start. I don't think it's a big deal -- I mean, come on, it's facebook, this will have about equal weight with "which of these 100 foods have you tried?" quiz apps in peoples' newsfeeds -- but it strikes me as jumping the gun when I see that a friend has updated their education/employment status months before they actually start. You wouldn't update your city until you actually move to it, so why update the school? Just my view.

Am I alone in thinking this is a bit tacky? In my view, you're not really affiliated with the program until you actually start. I don't think it's a big deal -- I mean, come on, it's facebook, this will have about equal weight with "which of these 100 foods have you tried?" quiz apps in peoples' newsfeeds -- but it strikes me as jumping the gun when I see that a friend has updated their education/employment status months before they actually start. You wouldn't update your city until you actually move to it, so why update the school? Just my view.

I'm fine with it.. however I hate that facebook displays info incorrectly. For instance I still have my current school which I am finishing this semester and yet for the last two years it has said "Studied" at and now it says "Studies" at new university ... even though I put in a future date... Facebook makes me angry sometimes.

No facebook, but I updated my profiles when I got my enrollment info (student ID, email address, etc.)

And I'll be starting research in the summer, so I don't think it's tacky to have updated things before the fall.

I updated my school after I started my program. I did post my plans to attend my current institution sometime in March/April, around the time I accepted the offer.

In general, I tried to keep the details of my app season off Facebook. I didn't want to announce every little thing to the world. In fact, I think that March/April status update was the first official mention of PhD applications that I made on FB.