All frequenters of this forum: some want to be profs, but most want to be authors. Discuss.

Check out Charles Bernstein's "Attack of the Difficult Poems"--in one of the essays early on he talks about Buffalo and the general shift of other PhD programs away from just creating critics to creating scholars who can write critically and creatively, and teach both.

I know a large part of getting my PhD is to study things related to my personal poetics that I'm developing, as well as make me more marketable as a writer.

If we're talking fiction writing here, I can't think of a single reason why you would do a PhD. Critical writing, on the other hand, is probably why we're all here.

Creative Writing Ph.D programs exist -- I'm headed to one. I guess it's technically "English Ph.D with creative writing major field and creative dissertation" but, really, it's a CW degree and I plan to list it as such on my CV. With the CW job market the way it is now, more and more people are going that route post-MFA.

Edited by poeteer

Creative Writing Ph.D programs exist -- I'm headed to one. I guess it's technically "English Ph.D with creative writing major field and creative dissertation" but, really, it's a CW degree and I plan to list it as such on my CV. With the CW job market the way it is now, more and more people are going that route post-MFA.

Every MFA I've talked to HATES Creative Writing PhDs. They talk nonstop about how they're worthless and do nothing but attempt to lower the value of current MFAs...and that most people don't take them seriously at all.

That's just what I've been told tho. YMMV

Every MFA I've talked to HATES Creative Writing PhDs. They talk nonstop about how they're worthless and do nothing but attempt to lower the value of current MFAs...and that most people don't take them seriously at all.

This is, like, a classic example of a dokkeynot post. :lol:

That's how I considered the CW Ph.D when I was finishing up my MFA. I said I would never get one, made fun of them, etc. I had two fellowship years afterward, and that was wonderful. And now what am I supposed to do? I've had a job for a year and it sucks. I'm 27, still finishing my first book, and I only qualify for crappy adjunct positions. While I'm trying to finish my book and get it out there, I'd rather be a TA/student -- at least that comes with health coverage. As an English Ph.D, you'll see what it's like to be out in the world after your degree in a job market that's still a lottery game for people with accolades and publications galore -- not pretty. MFA graduates who should be on the job market are applying for CW Ph.D programs because they can't find work that's worth it.

edit: also the CW Ph.D program is no longer a "new thing" -- it's not "trying to devalue" the MFA. it's been an option for a long time, but it wasn't popular until recently. The economy -- and humanities cuts across the country -- has done that for the MFA.

Edited by poeteer

I was thinking totally in terms of literature PhDs; probably should have mentioned that :)

I'm hoping to become a professor.

But I'm also going to get a PhD for the sake of the PhD itself. Even if I end up running the family business, I don't want to be 50 or 60 and have to think, "Would my life have been different if I had pursued my dreams of obtaining a PhD?"

B) <--- no regrets sunglasses

Just verifying that these are, indeed, the only reasons to pursue postgrad lit/lit-derivative studies. Speaking as someone who's probably going to crap out and opt for law instead, so I wanted to check whether I'm missing anything.

(besides unrelenting passion for the written word etc etc)

This is a troll post and probably isn't worth responding to, but alas...

If by "author" you mean "creative writer," then my answer is an absolute "hell no." I have a (probably undue) dislike of creative writing programs, likely because the creative writers at my university are, for the most part, goddamn awful. More power to those who want to pursue it, but creative writing isn't my thing at all. Creative writing was a major part of my life from childhood until maybe 2 years ago, but I have no desire to write creatively anymore. So, at least for me, the whole stereotype of literature professors being failed writers or music critics being failed musicians doesn't apply.

I want to pursue a Ph.D. in English because I love the field and have many theoretical questions I'd like to answer or get closer to answering. Also, I love Beckett to death, and I want to study him and other 20th century British authors. I'm primarily interested in research, though I think I'd really like teaching as well.

a good deal of successful writers of any era are "goddamn awful."

but your line of thinking is odd to me. the act of creative writing in itself =/= creative writing programs, even in our heyday of MFA programs. and the creative writing program at your one school =/= all, or even most, creative writing programs. especially if the program at your school does not have the funds or presence to attract the best writers.

your "hell no" reaction is also odd, as if you'd rather be a leper than a contemporary writer (and only two years post-passion)…because some writers at your school are bad?