Surviving those last few weeks of work

Theasaurus

I just wanted to get a conversation going here and see if anyone was banging their heads against a wall as much as I am at this exact moment.

I'm sitting here at my office computer, counting down the last few weeks until I quit my full-time office job. It's not too shabby of a job really, but with the excitement and change that's coming with grad school, it's making work seem like a prison and grad school is my parole. I've been completely tuned out since I started hearing back from schools, and now that it's all very official and very real, my work personality has shifted from being Little Miss Motivation to someone very reminiscent of Peter Gibbons. I'm not going to lie, it feels kinda awesome.

School starts August 27 with a week before devoted to various orientations. My lease in Florida runs out at the end of July. I was thinking June 15th would be my last day. That leaves me a month and half to pack, finish any hobbies, projects, etc., and mentally prepare myself for grad school. Friends and loved ones keep telling me to wait it out until at least mid-July to save as much as I possibly can. I have some savings already, wayyy more than enough to pad me for that last month + half, but on my measly salary, I couldn't imagine one more month of work really making much of a difference. I'd much rather save my sanity before life gets crazy again.

Curious as to when others are leaving their full-time jobs and how they're keeping up motivation at work.

I'm going through the same thing! I've been working an office job while my husband does his graduate work for the past three years, and I've been DYING to start my own schooling the whole time.

This is actually my last week of full-time employment-- I'm doing part-time for the next two weeks after this, and then I'm done. We have to move out of our apartment by the end of May.

It's super hard to concentrate these days-- I feel like I have senioritis or something. Every time I start working on anything, I'm just like, "Oh, who cares? This'll be someone else's problem soon!" ^_^

Curious as to when others are leaving their full-time jobs and how they're keeping up motivation at work.

Leaving: August 10th

Motivation: (1) My supervisor is awesome. I've been able to be honest with her for the through-out this process, like, since September; she understands why my motivation is flagging and she throws me some stimulating work when I'm in a little grad school-related mental rut (doing the apps, waiting on app decisions, waiting on grants ect;) (2) I moved down to part-time this month and picked up a not-well-paid-but-fun gig to supplement (3) I give grad school and/or discipline-related names to my private drivers/folders/files, so that I'm smiling when I open up the work, knowing that there's an end in sight.

I wish I could leave earlier than the 10th of August, I'm apprehensive about entering the program and not being well-rested (I've been working multiple back-to-back contracts and, for the last two years, have never had less than two jobs - for a couple of stretches I had as many as four). Yeah, so, I'm wary of burn-out...

That being said, I live in an expensive city and have set a goal of killing a significant portion of my debt before entering the PhD. I'm also obligated to a partner who is very hard-working and also in school, we kind of go into survivalist mode when living/working arrangements are in flux and tend to shore up as much money as we can. Finally, though I'm well funded (still waiting on some scholarship decisions to determine HOW well-funded, but it's at least full tuition remission, a stipend I can live on and TA/RA opportunities), my experience (as a student AND as a faculty member) with academic payments suggests that I will not see my first pay-out until end of September/beginning of October... So, when my current contract is done, I have to save money for my cost of living, my debt, my partner obligations and prepare to pay for these for almost all of August and September. On top of that, is my grad school "start up" money (supplies ect:). I'm not even MOVING or anything to attend, but I'm still erring on the side of saving...

Anyway, I feel as though Theasaurus, robot_hamster and theologyofyourface all have the right idea... I think that knowing oneself and the imprending challenges well enough to allocate some time to recover, is probably wise, and I really wish that I was doing that!

We're going to make it you guys!

I have a contract position, so I'm staying through the full term (end of July) and then packing my bags and heading out to grad school. The prep program starts in the first full week of August, so I don't get downtime in between like I was hoping to--I'd prefer to have a bit a vacation before I head into the pressure cooker of grad school, to go and visit family and friends back in my hometown, but so it goes. Definitely I've been hearing a lot of advice along the lines of taking vacation when you can, because it'll be the last rest you get for a while.

I have until May 22nd and I am just barely dragging myself through each day. My only motivation would be students, I don't want them to get a poor education because their teacher is too excited about her own. It's been hard staying focused ever since I started the application process especially since I do not plan to ever teach again.

I have the moving van scheduled to pick up on the 23rd and hope to be in my new town by the 25th of May. I have my pay checks spread out through the year so I will still get paid through mid August, I may take some part time work to get a little more cash, or possibly take one of the two online courses offered over the summer. For now, I am counting down every day left.

I think it depends on what kind of full-time job you have before you are off to grad school. I did some research in a lab before grad school started, everyone was asking when my last day is and if they could take my reagents/pipettes/consumables, lol. It was more like crunch time for me, because I needed to wrap up the projects. Sure it was good ol' happy undergrad days...

For me it's a 4-month wait. Rather nerve-wracking. As if the application waiting wasn't enough! (-:

August 21 is my last day at work, with a few weeks in late July/early August to get everything in order beforehand (I'm not bringing much). The following morning, I step on to the train for a relaxing 4-day ride across the country (California to Boston) and a start on my new life!

I'm actually glad to keep working through the summer, I really like my job (Dean's secretary at a community college), so I'll be bummed to leave it. I'm gonna be taking Calculus 1 over the summer as well, as the math's is my weakest point right now. That runs June-July.

I'm one of those perpetual busy people, who's always able to find time to relax (-: A big part of working right up to the end is money. I won't be starting with much (grad school is my next step after a disastrous marriage), but it'll be enough to get things done, and as such I need to keep the money coming in right up to the last minute. Plus this gives me the chance to really say goodbye to everyone on the west coast.

I'm going to end either August 3rd or 10th, but haven't decided yet. The motivation right now is the good relationships I have with all the people at work and to a lesser extent the money. I can totally see how people would struggle with it though. Even with a job I enjoy, good coworkers and decent pay (been out of college a while now), the motivation still takes a hit when you get in.

I like the Peter Gibbons reference; I totally feel that way right now. My last day will be June 15th, as well. I'm putting in my notice tomorrow. I work at terribly boring (and just plain terrible) office job. However, since I accepted my PhD offer, I haven't given two shits about anything here. It is rather liberating. There's a lot of chauvinism in my office, and, unfortunately, before now, it was difficult to combat for the fear of losing my job. Now, who cares? If you give me crap, I'm giving it right back. I love it! :D

I like the Peter Gibbons reference; I totally feel that way right now. My last day will be June 15th, as well. I'm putting in my notice tomorrow. I work at terribly boring (and just plain terrible) office job. However, since I accepted my PhD offer, I haven't given two shits about anything here. It is rather liberating. There's a lot of chauvinism in my office, and, unfortunately, before now, it was difficult to combat for the fear of losing my job. Now, who cares? If you give me crap, I'm giving it right back. I love it! :D

Sounds exactly like my job. :D

July 6th is my last day. I want to give myself some time to do some traveling. My lease runs out at the end of July, but my lease in what will be my new hometown won't start until September. I'll be living with the 'rents during August.

But yeah, I do data management and IT work for a media conglomerate, while all of my interests are in the liberal arts. It's torture still being here, but I don't really have another choice.

I'm still trying to determine my last day of work. Originally, I planned to stay until July 6 but with travel (conference) plans from late July through early August, that doesn't give me enough time to fully unwind and prepare to move 1,000+ miles. I'm starting to lean toward a mid-June quit date...which is roughly 2 months before my move date.

My last day will be May 25th. I am graduating from a Master's program and since I am living on campus, I get kicked out of my housing. No worries though since my new program starts June 18th and I will be moving there June 9th. So I do have some time to relax, but it will be mostly packing/unpacking and shopping for apartment things. I will miss my current boss though.

I'm in an odd (but good!) situation because I'm going to grad school to study the goings-on of what I currently do (outreach education), and I'll be staying in the same city. So, I want to stay as connected to work people as possible because they'll be my best network for research opportunities and jobs after graduation. My current boss leaves whenever her bun comes out of the oven (due date late next month), so I want to (a) help the new boss get her feet under her in our department and (B) build up a good enough relationship with her that I can ask her for favors in the years to come. Plus there's the money thing.

So, my plan is to take a week off and visit my family then come back and start grad school. I was hoping for a longer break to recharge and get into grad school mode mentally, but I don't think there will be time!

It is kind of odd though, to be brainstorming projects with people like normal, then to realize I won't see them through to fruition. Luckily I work with really great people, so I still care about things for their sake.

Edited by SeriousSillyPutty

I'm trying to figure out the time frame for my last day as well. I work in higher education, and I'm thinking about higher ed as a career path post-masters. In other words, this is a bridge that I do not want to burn. I don't need to be on campus until Aug 15. My lease expires on June 27. I'm thinking about getting a cheap sublet for 6 weeks, then moving, but part of me is anxious to start being a grad student already, despite the cost of COBRA for three months instead of one. Plus, if I quit now, it gives my office enough time to hire a replacement and train him/her before the start of the new school year. Kind of torn about what to do right now, and to make matters worse, the husband is leaving for a research project next month, so I'm handling the logistics of moving solo.

I'm at my job until June 22nd. While I'm really excited about starting grad school in August, my job is too busy for me not give a crap. Lol. I'm a school registrar and I have to build the master schedule and schedule all of the students at my school before I leave plus train my replacement at the same time. Even though I'm a scientist at heart, I do find aspects of my job interesting. I'm definitely looking forward to the 6 weeks of relaxation after this job. I will be spending it as a beach bum in Waikiki. B)

First off let me just say that I am SO with you on the senioritis feeling...as evidenced by the fact that I am prowling the GC forums while at work. I keep having to minimize the page when my boss walks in. ;)

I'll probably be staying here as long as possible, though, since I already have some debt and about to incur a whole HELL of a lot more in the form of student loans (yay for unfunded masters programs). I'm hoping to move in the beginning of August, so whichever Friday comes before that first weekend will likely be my last day. As it stands I am taking a week off in June as well, which will (hopefully) help me out of this slump and help me power through that last month and a half...

Heh, I'm headed to a school about 45 minutes from where I currently work. It's an easy enough commute, and I can do some of my work remotely, so I'm actually staying on in a half-time capacity to defray cost-of-living expenses. I'll look for a more relevant position for next year (fingers crossed for something with tuition remission), but it's nice to be assured that I'll have some kind of income during my first year, modest as it'll be.

Also, experience with research regulation/IRB coordination seems pretty saleable in academia, so I don't see keeping my current position as being to my detriment. :P

It is obviously a shared feeling, haha. I don't hate my job, but I've had some transitions in the leadership of my small team in the last year and lets just say it hasn't been smooth sailing so I'm really quite excited to get out of here. That said, I want to save every penny I can before I start school so I'll be working until about July 18th, then have a few days to pack up, going on a cruise with my SO :), and then my lease ends July 31 so I'm looking to move in August 1. Then I'll have August to adjust to my new city and hopefully start a FT or PT job there. A break is great, but I get bored easily and I really don't want to take out loans to support my cost of living expenses so I will be looking to work.

How have others handled giving notice? I'm really torn. The timing of my departure won't be very convenient for some events we have going on, so I'd like to give ample notice... but not so much notice that they decide I should leave sooner rather than later. Really torn over this currently.

I am soooo glad I found this thread! I am dying from lack of motivation at work. I really have to get my butt back in gear before my supervisor starts noticing. I am so excited to start my program in the fall. My plan is to make June 7 my last day at work. I figure that will give me about 3 weeks to pack and clean out my current apt. I am trying my damnest to come up with ways to motivate myself lately. I like my job but recent management changes make me happy that I am leaving soon. I am debating on giving notice until 2 weeks before. I know that is the industry standard and I would love to give them more advanced notice but I am afraid it will back fire on me.

How much time are you all giving your employers?

I am soooo glad I found this thread! I am dying from lack of motivation at work. I really have to get my butt back in gear before my supervisor starts noticing. I am so excited to start my program in the fall. My plan is to make June 7 my last day at work. I figure that will give me about 3 weeks to pack and clean out my current apt. I am trying my damnest to come up with ways to motivate myself lately. I like my job but recent management changes make me happy that I am leaving soon. I am debating on giving notice until 2 weeks before. I know that is the industry standard and I would love to give them more advanced notice but I am afraid it will back fire on me.

I told my boss back in January that June would be my last month at work. I have been open with him throughout the whole grad school process, so he knew since last summer that I would be leaving at some point. Contrary to common perception, working at a school does not mean that everybody has summers off. Admin folks work year round, and summer is our busiest time since we are scheduling classes/students and preparing for the next school year. Because of this, I made sure that my boss knew as early as possible, so that we can prepare for the new hire and hopefully a smooth transition.

My immediate supervisor wrote letters of recommendation for me, so let's just say she's known for a while. ;)

I let the office know once I was admitted that I would be leaving this summer, and we worked out the absolute last date that I can work here for them to replace me before the next school year, knowing that it may be sooner (I work in higher ed, so turnover is natural in the summers.) Because I'm in a senior position, most likely I will be replaced by an internal hire, so we've actually been discussing whether others in the organization will be good replacements. I've even identified a couple candidates. I can probably give them an official 2 weeks notice, but they've had unofficial notice for 2 months now. Frankly, I need to work out a plan with HR about taking my existing sick leave and vacation time, so the official date and actual dates are going to be different.

I'm in the same boat as you, TropicalCharlie - trying to get all of my Fall scheduling in place so someone can get up to speed and enact the plan that I've already worked out.