Is this admission @UIUC.. I am so confused

orangeus

A few days ago, I got e-mail from Admission Office as followings,

"At present, no funding has been allocated to support your graduate studies. We cannot officially admit you until it can be certified that you have funding to cover the expenses for the entire length of time you plan to study on this campus. In addition, you must have a research advisor. Your admission information has been forwarded to the AE faculty. We strongly encourage you to contact AE faculty members to find a research project and a research assistantship in your field of interest."

I can't assure that this letter means my admission. I am wondering what the requirement is for my official admission.

Will my admission be cancled, if I can't find a reseach advisor and a RA position,

I can study without funding at the first semester, and have a plan to find a RA job at that time.

Is it possible that I have no research advisor for my official admission ?

Please, help me... I am so confused...

Edited by orangeus

Based on the message, I don't think you are officially accepted. In fact, if the school and yourself cannot resolve the funding issue, you will not be accepted by UIUC. This is why they "strongly encourage you to contact AE faculty members to find a research project and a research assistantship in your field of interest". If there are no faculty members at this AE (Aerospace Engineering?) department can accept you as a student by fully support your PhD program financially through RA'ship, then they can only turn down your application and reject you. Since an admission has never been pronounce, they don't really "cancel" your admission, but rather reject you from being accepted to the program.

What I supposed is that unless

1. there is a lab that a grad student is graduating during your first semester, and

2. this PI is willing to take you as a grad student, and/or

3. the research interest is fit,

otherwise, even if you can support yourself for the first semester, you will still be wandering around the campus without being able to join a lab or find a RA'ship to support your studies. The thing is that some schools really care about these statistics (e.g. attrition rate), so some schools might as well deny your "entry" long before the first semester begins.

I hope you'll be able to find a PI that is willing to support your ASAP.

Edited by aberrant

The second sentence suggests that you have not been admitted, but will be admitted if you prove to them that you have sufficient funds to pay tuition for the entire program, and your living expenses during the entire program. One way they suggest you may be able to accomplish this is by finding an advisor willing to commit to supporting you financially during the duration of the program.