Is grad school even an option?

spacezeppelin

Hello,

I realize that there are tons of variables involved in getting into graduate school. However, I want to try and get a general idea if I even have a chance at getting into a Ph.D program directly out of undergrad. I have a 3.1 overall (I started out as a bio major and sort of blew it), a 3.4 in the departmentt and in my last 60 credits.

I have had 2 articles published in undergraduate reserach journals and have assisted a professor with research for his book. I have a years work experience, but it is only indirectly related to the field. I have one very strong LoR and two that I know are good, but might not be completely amazing. I also have a writing sample that I believe to be very good.

What do you guys think?

You may have a shot through networking. If you've worked closely with a professor, then ask for some office time and talk to him/her. It's one thing to get a cold application with a sub-par GPA and decent letters of recommendation. It's another thing for a program to receive a phone call from a colleague about you. If nothing else, your professor-mentor can help you identify programs that will fit your strengths and be more willing to consider you. (Application fees start to pile up if you are not targeted.)

Our situation is slightly different since I only applied to MS programs, but my average was 3.09 with two failing grades and I got into 4 schools, one fully funded + stipend. Talking with your undergrad professors or current graduate students in your field (if you know any) could be really helpful since they'll be able to give you relevant advice based on their experience in your field, but ultimately I agree that you'll only know if you try. Be prepared to really look through programs and send lots of letters to professors, as establishing rapport helps immensely, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have over a 3.0, you've definitely got a shot. Admissions committees can see your transcript, so they can see the pattern of grades you got and will be able to see what's going on with your bio classes. Getting better grades in your field and toward the end of your undergrad years is going to help mitigate the damage of a less than competitive overall GPA.

Of course it would be better to have a higher GPA, but there's nothing to do at this point but play up everything else you've got going for you. Research experience is a huge plus-- there was some variety in GPAs among the people visiting the departments I looked at this last year (all top ones in my field) but the one thing everyone had in common was having done research as an undergrad. Based 100% on anecdotal information from a different discipline, I would be much more concerned if you were on here saying you had a solid GPA but no research experience than I am hearing that you have a less competitive GPA and two publications. So I would get as much mileage out of that experience as possible, and work really hard at getting a competitive GRE score (having higher numbers somewhere will probably help you not get screened out early on). Good luck!

Where did you go to college? a 3.0 at Harvard has a lot more weight than a 3.8 at an average college or 4.0 at a third teir college.

you made my day.

Edited by aberrant

Why not try a master's program first? I had a 3.95 GPA and I received no funding from any college. Of course there are other considerations. Where did you go to college? a 3.0 at Harvard has a lot more weight than a 3.8 at an average college or 4.0 at a third teir college.

Not necessarily true, it is program specific. Someone from a state school with a strong program and research experience would be just as competitive as someone from Harvard if GPA was equal (heavy grade inflation on Harvard's end). You may have had a strong GPA but what were your other metrics? Research experience (most important), statement of purpose, letters of rec, GRE score, etc.? All of those can factor in a department's willingness and/or ability to fund you. From the looks of it, if you had that GPA coupled with research experience, great letters, scores, clear statement of purpose, etc., I would have a very very hard time believing you couldn't get funding from somewhere unless you were only aiming at top programs.

But back to the OP's concern; if you want to do something biomedical related there is NO WAY you should pay for any degree, masters or PhD. There are way too many training grants and NIH/NSF sponsored fellowships in that particular field--assuming that is what you want to do. I would say be strategic and apply to a mixture of PhD and masters programs and see what you come up with. I will be enrolling in a masters program (originally applied for PhD, but department re-purposed my application to MS program) fully funded + stipend this fall. I'll be funded on either a training grants or research assistantship.