Georgetown Strengths/Weaknesses

So, what do people think are the most compelling reasons for attending GPPI? Does anyone have reservations about the program?

Here are the strengths and weaknesses from my perspective:

Pros:

-First the most obvious: D.C. location and associated networking/internship opportunities.

-Respected name, particularly in Washington.

-Strong quantitative focus, including MPP/Econ Masters option.

-Strong faculty that includes top Washington policy makers.

-Strong IR track.

Cons:

-Large class size (~130).

-EXPENSIVE!

-A lot of part-time/visiting faculty.

-Does not seem to have as strong a quant reputation as GSPP, Chicago and Ford.

-Focus on Federal Government employment (I can't find exact breakdowns)? This may not be true, as there are plenty of nonprofit, consulting and lobbying jobs available in D.C.

I have never been to D.C., nor have I obviously visited the campus or sat in on classes, so my analysis may be lacking.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the DC thing for 6+ years but I don't have a great familiarity with the Georgetown MPP program, but I'll tell you what I do know about some of its pros/cons.

The biggest advantage of Georgetown is location. It gives you access to great internships and networking opportunities. But that's true of any of the DC-area schools.

I don't know that reputation is the plus you think it is. When I sat in on interview panels at my last job (a well known and prestigious association/policy shop) candidates with MPPs from Georgetown were regarded exactly the same as anyone else with a credible master's degree (the only time eyebrows were raised was over "directional-state universities" that no one had heard of). Even the Harvard KSG people didn't get any special preference. It doesn't hurt to have a degree from a school with name recognition, but I think that it may be more true outside of DC where, frankly, most people have a strong education.

As far as the part-time/visiting faculty goes, that would only be a problem if you foresee doing a PhD one day. Otherwise, it will serve as a great outreach/networking factor. But if you do want to get your PhD, the lack of relationships with tenured professors at your graduate school could hurt.

The biggest drawback is that not only is Georgetown expensive but living in DC (especially near Georgetown) is expensive too. Not Manhattan expensive but it ain't cheap either.

If you plan to work in DC after completing your MPP, you definitely want to be there. DC is all about who you know. If you don't want to work there, you might consider going elsewhere and saving some money and hassle!

Having spent quite a bit of time in DC, I thought I'd offer some perspective.

Pros:

- The Georgetown "brand" is very highly regarded in DC, and is considered the most elite of the DC area schools

- Very good career prospects in the DC area

- Has an actual "campus." Many professional schools lack a true campus setting, but Georgetown has one to call its own.

- Has a part-time program, allowing students to work while going to school.

Cons:

- While Georgetown is considered more "elite," GWU is considered the better policy program by the Hill and K-Street.

- The school is very expensive and stingy with funding, causing many students to self-fund two years of an education that doesn't have quite the same financial payoff as an MBA or JD.

- Weaker quantitative training (when compared to Berkely or Harvard MPA-ID)

I agree with the above assessment.

I just want to add one con:

Location within DC is pretty inconvenient. It's not really metro accessible because that part of town is too snobby to have wanted the rabble to be able to get to it easily.

pro:

part of the consortium of DC schools. So you could also take a class at GW, AU, or UMD if desired.

As someone who lives in DC and works on K St (albeit at a nonprofit) I would respectfully disagree with the assessment that GW's policy program is generally regarded as stronger than Georgetown's---that has definitely not been my impression.

Then again, DC is very much about WHO you know and not necessarily WHAT you know...so in the end, go to the program that 1. offers you more money, 2. fits your schedule better (both programs, and American's, offer lots of night classes and good opportunities to intern downtown) and 3. appeals to you more in terms of student breakdown/class offerings/etc.

i've been hanging out for a couple of weeks but decided to join today because i was really curious about the gppi funding email too. i got it today as well.

what better way to prepare a "short statement" than re-checking the boards over and over? :wink:

Aww man this thread was a dagger to my heart. I haven't even received a response from GPPI at all - much less this scholarship email.

I don't think that should be cause for alarm. When did you send in your application? Just be patient. :)

I don't think that should be cause for alarm. When did you send in your application? Just be patient. :)

True... hopefully its all on a rolling basis. My application didn't go in until January. Good luck to you! This whole process is causing me to go melodramatic. lol.

GPPI Admissions must be rolling, I got in today and didn't submit my application until Feb. 1st. And actually, they didn't receive my GRE until the 10th. But interestingly enough, the email I received said I would be considered for merit-based aid without having to submit a further essay.

GPPI Admissions must be rolling, I got in today and didn't submit my application until Feb. 1st. And actually, they didn't receive my GRE until the 10th. But interestingly enough, the email I received said I would be considered for merit-based aid without having to submit a further essay.

Congrats! The language in the email was probably just their generic scholarship language. Don't be surprised if they hit you up for an additional essay.

How did you apply so late, though? I thought the cutoff for funding consideration was mid January.

But interestingly enough, the email I received said I would be considered for merit-based aid without having to submit a further essay.

The language said that you would not have to submit an additional application to be considered - not additional essays. (Assuming the language in your e-mail was similar to mine). As Policy_Applicant said, you may want to be prepared to submit an additional essay.

I hope that means I'll hear sometime soon! I think my application completed January 30 (grr to my recommender who kept putting it off!) :wink:

That sounds about right ... I'm sure they'll send out an 'ask' for another essay sometime soon. I was under the impression that Feb. 1 was the application due date (don't remember any funding cut-off date).

"... are not required to submit a separate application for scholarship and assistantship consideration." I took this as there wasn't any further essay requirement, but like was said above, I'm probably wrong (as is often the case).

Linden -

This is definitely more excruciating. This program offers such amazing opportunities to build a great resume during the program, but it is so expensive. I'm really hoping that they come through with a good offer.

I'm also hoping that someone will post a message here when they hear something, especially if it's sooner than Friday.

So, I guess GPPI is really going to make us wait until Friday. Is anyone else finding this wait even more excruciating than the wait to hear about admissions? Or, is it just me?

I think we're blessed to know so early about our admissions decisions - especially since they are acceptances. However, I am also finding the wait about funding to be miserable.