Georgetown Strengths/Weaknesses

As to the lacking sense community because most students do internships, it seems that the same goes for all other schools.

I've talked to current students of the GW MPP program, and they say about 70-80% of them are working part-time. So I guess that's a typical scenario of MPP classes.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to the lacking sense community because most students do internships, it seems that the same goes for all other schools.

I've talked to current students of the GW MPP program, and they say about 70-80% of them are working part-time. So I guess that's a typical scenario of MPP classes.

I think you're right, lucapaolo. G-town, GW, and American have about the same percentage of students interning. Incidentally, they seem to be compensated similarly, as well. I think this is a typical scenario for MPPs in Washington, DC. the DC programs are more about a "professional education" and attempt to mix professional experience with coursework. Non-DC programs seem to send their students to internships during the summer between 1st and 2nd year but not during the year. At first I was excited to intern during the year to gain experience and some extra $$, but then I thought about it and considered it odd that students found time to do 20hrs of interning and their coursework. It made be wonder how rigorous the education could be if students are devoting 20hrs a week to interning...

I think there are obvious pros and cons to interning during the year; more to the point, of attending a school where most people intern during the year. I think those programs provide a more practical education that is probably less rigorous. I already have two years of DC experience and am going with a more rigorous out of town education as a supplement to my experience. I could see someone with no DC experience getting a lot out of an DC MPP program with an internship.

I think you're right, lucapaolo. G-town, GW, and American have about the same percentage of students interning. Incidentally, they seem to be compensated similarly, as well. I think this is a typical scenario for MPPs in Washington, DC. the DC programs are more about a "professional education" and attempt to mix professional experience with coursework. Non-DC programs seem to send their students to internships during the summer between 1st and 2nd year but not during the year. At first I was excited to intern during the year to gain experience and some extra $$, but then I thought about it and considered it odd that students found time to do 20hrs of interning and their coursework. It made be wonder how rigorous the education could be if students are devoting 20hrs a week to interning...

I think there are obvious pros and cons to interning during the year; more to the point, of attending a school where most people intern during the year. I think those programs provide a more practical education that is probably less rigorous. I already have two years of DC experience and am going with a more rigorous out of town education as a supplement to my experience. I could see someone with no DC experience getting a lot out of an DC MPP program with an internship.

Now, that's a useful insight to take into account. I've also been told to look at the balance scholars/practitioners within the faculty, as an excessively practice-oriented coursework could be detrimental to the theoretical rigor, all the more necessary for students who have no or little working experience - as is my case. I'm therefore researching faculties right now and see what I find.

Does any of you guys know how Johns Hopkins does in this respect?

I'm going to the Open House this Friday. What's the dress for this sort of thing?

I'll be there, too. For the USC event, dress ranged from jeans, tennis shoes and button up to business casual. I imagine the same will be true at the GPPI event, but I wonder if people will be a bit dressier since it's DC, not LA.

I'll be there, too. For the USC event, dress ranged from jeans, tennis shoes and button up to business casual. I imagine the same will be true at the GPPI event, but I wonder if people will be a bit dressier since it's DC, not LA.

There was a real range at the GPPI open house last Friday. Word to the wise - if it's anything like last week the lounge where they host it was blazing hot. They had trouble with the temperature control. While a friend said she was comfortable, I was so warm that I was nodding off lol.

Hi policy_applicant,

Though I can't give great advice re: funding outside of scholarships, my impression is that there are assistantships and internships that can help pay a few bills. I recently spoke to a professor of mine after class one day about the research she'd be doing over the summer, and I've now got a research assistantship because it happened that she was researching something in which I was interested and felt I was qualified to help. So though I hadn't come to GPPI to seek out that kind of work, I did find it.

Also, it has been my experience that there is an abundance of paid and unpaid internship work. (GPPI is in DC, after all.) The career center can be really helpful in tracking one down, as can professors and other students. There are certainly students who don't work at all during the school year, but many of us think that practical experience is a great way to put what you're learning to use and to expand your experience (and resume) at the same time. Whether your prioritize your internship or your coursework is an individual choice, but I certainly wouldn't say that coursework takes a back seat to internships in general (someone had mentioned that they'd gotten that impression).

GPPI is expensive, but I've always believed that to go into debt for your education is one of the few tolerable kinds of debt. No one can repossess your education. And when you're out there competing against other MPPs in the real word, however distasteful it might be to admit this, Georgetown's name has cache that not all schools do.

Thanks, policy_student! I am currently leaning toward GPPI for many of the reasons you mentioned.

I'm curious, though, about ways of financing the degree outside of scholarship money. Are there any chances for assistantships or work at the research centers? I understand that many full-time students are able to get part-time paid internships during the school year. Has this been your experience? Any perspective you can offer would be helpful.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I'm an international student from the UK and have been accepted to the MPP programme at GPPI. I'm really keen on doing the course but haven't received any funding, so would be looking at coming out of it with what I reckon would be in the region of $100k in debt. I'm not from the wealthiest of backgrounds and am not averse to living frugally, but is this level of debt just to much relative to future earning potential? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Hi all--

For those of you wondering about the "sense of community" at GPPI-- in my experience, even thought it's a large cohort (100+), they have a lot of social events and everyone seems to know each other and get along really well. They even have a GPPI Prom. Professors are also accesible and some even go out of their way to help you (e.g., holding review sessions for exams without time limit). It's very expensive thought and that would be my main "con" for not attending GPPI. But I would not worry so much about the sense of community.

Best of luck to everyone!