2013 Applicants: Your dream schools?

NotMyParty

I think it's good to start the application season off with some high hopes. Fellow 2013 applicants, introduce yourselves! Share interests and a preliminary list of dream schools. I'll go first:

My interests span a range of sub-fields associated with international development. I'm considering programs with strengths in political sociology, economic sociology, and, of course, development.

It's early in the game, but so far my dream schools, in rough order, are:

Harvard

Wisconsin

Berkeley

Michigan

Princeton

Cornell

UCLA

Northwestern

Honestly, I'd be very happy to attend any of the programs to which I'm applying. I'm interested in a couple of trajectories, which basically include religion and the sociology of scientific knowledge. If I had to rank in order of preference, it would clearly be Yale, Chicago, Harvard, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Brown. We will see what happens. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in sociology of education, mainly related to inequalities, i.e., access, achievement, and gender differences - in the context of class stratification, cultural influences, and geographic location (urban vs. suburban vs. rural).

Some of my current top choices: Stanford, Wisconsin, UC-Irvine, Texas, Hopkins, Penn... and the Sociology/Social Policy dual programs at Princeton and Harvard.

I'm definitely applying wide (probably about 10 sociology, 5 dual/interdisciplinary programs)... but keep changing my mind on what my "top" choices are... :)

Just for people who might be interested, Rice University started a doctoral program in Sociology in 2011. Obviously, the program is not ranked yet, but the faculty and research topics look great.

Glad you posted this. It might actually make my list, especially considering its involvement in the Houston Education Research Consortium. Very interesting!

• 4 weeks later...

I few years ago I wanted to go to the following schools for my PhD in Sociology:

New School (I pulled out of this school because of the cost)

UC Berkeley

UW at Madison

Washington University

Kansas

Notre Dame

I also was rejected from PhD program at Portland State University, last year :(

After receiving only rejections letters I finally decided to give up applying to those schools which appear to be not interested in me joining their programs.

• 2 weeks later...

My interests: International Migration / Immigration / Citizenship

My top choices: UC Irvine, U of Illinois at Chicago, Arizona State, Vanderbilt, U Penn...

• 2 weeks later...

My interests in Soc are migration, gender, international development, humanitarianism, childhood and labor exploitation.

Top 6 [at least right now]:

Princeton [w/Social Policy program]

Michigan [w/Public Policy program]

Stanford

U Washington [though I may go for Social Welfare here]

Berkeley

My main concern at the moment is having so many top schools without some 'backups' - all are pretty ambitious. At the same time, they are definitely the programs I like best.

Anyone with similar interests have any thoughts on additional school options?

• 1 month later...

My interest areas are political economy, social movements, Marxian class theory/economics, mass media, and critical theory

My top schools are, in no particular order, Berkeley, Wisconsin, Michigan, NYU, and Johns Hopkins. I don't plan on applying to all of these though because they are long shots so I'm not sure if it would be worth even trying. I might just for fun but I don't have high hopes :(

My main concern at the moment is having so many top schools without some 'backups' - all are pretty ambitious. At the same time, they are definitely the programs I like best.

I worried about this too... and then decided to cut out all of my "backup" schools because I didn't really want to go to them. I figure I would rather re-apply next year than go somewhere just to go *somewhere*. The better schools just happen to fit my research interests better, so we'll see what happens!