Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Nothing! And oh trust me, I checked EVERYTHING! When I happened to look here on the forum this evening I was like "What?!" The plot thickens, but only for me! Maybe mine is taking longer to process because I submitted it pretty much the last possible day (I was in the middle of prepping my Master's thesis & TAing a class--what a CRAZY semester!), and they ARE doing it on a rolling basis? Though it seems like Fulbright precedent stands that they release all notifications at once, including alternates? Ahhhh!

You make a good point though; there actually was a weird email snafu and I didn't receive the confirmation letter; however, when I called the contact lady in NY she said the confirmation had been sent and then sent me a second copy which I did receive then. I hope nothing crazy happened to my application! Ahhh! Maybe I should call her tmw and see what it is up, if I don't have an email by the afternoon!

Let us know. Maybe they sent it and you did not receive again! I hope u got it! :-)

Let us know. Maybe they sent it and you did not receive again! I hope u got it! :-)

Thanks, yeah I will keep you guys posted! I hope so!  :)  Either way, I called the offices first thing this morning because I couldn't stand the suspense, and (naturally) the woman who would know is out of the office until tomorrow!!!! Well, at least it's just one more day (hopefully) of waiting, either way. And congrats on the great news; you must be so excited!

Nothing! And oh trust me, I checked EVERYTHING! When I happened to look here on the forum this evening I was like "What?!" The plot thickens, but only for me! Maybe mine is taking longer to process because I submitted it pretty much the last possible day (I was in the middle of prepping my Master's thesis & TAing a class--what a CRAZY semester!), and they ARE doing it on a rolling basis? Though it seems like Fulbright precedent stands that they release all notifications at once, including alternates? Ahhhh!

You make a good point though; there actually was a weird email snafu and I didn't receive the confirmation letter; however, when I called the contact lady in NY she said the confirmation had been sent and then sent me a second copy which I did receive then. I hope nothing crazy happened to my application! Ahhh! Maybe I should call her tmw and see what it is up, if I don't have an email by the afternoon!

CALL THEM!!! this same exact thing happened to me!!! Everyone else in my region was notified at the same time and I received NOTHING!! I called my program manager like "I know notifications went out today and I didn't get one... Is this a mistake?" she took my name and looked me up and guess what: I got it!!! I found out over the phone...my program manager forwarded my selection notification to a different email. I still never got the original!! Check it out ASAP! they're human in this program and therefore they make administrative mistakes. Another example: in the 2012-2013 cycle I was an alternate. In the subject line of my notification email they spelled Fulbright wrong!! Lol.

Anyway - INVESTIGATE!! there was probably a mistake and this absolutely does not mean you weren't selected!!

Oh the life of an alternate. Currently going through the whole rigmarole of networking, emailing, calling....trying to find that magical person who will employ me. Part of me wants to get upgraded because of the wonderful experience, etc. but a growing part of me wants to get it just so I can push off all this stuff for another year, haha.

I don't know if it's rolling or not; that was just a guess. maybe they sent out stuff to a large group and are waiting to hear of any rejections before proceeding forward? No idea...

CALL THEM!!! this same exact thing happened to me!!! Everyone else in my region was notified at the same time and I received NOTHING!! I called my program manager like "I know notifications went out today and I didn't get one... Is this a mistake?" she took my name and looked me up and guess what: I got it!!! I found out over the phone...my program manager forwarded my selection notification to a different email. I still never got the original!! Check it out ASAP! they're human in this program and therefore they make administrative mistakes. Another example: in the 2012-2013 cycle I was an alternate. In the subject line of my notification email they spelled Fulbright wrong!! Lol.

Anyway - INVESTIGATE!! there was probably a mistake and this absolutely does not mean you weren't selected!!

lol, I love it...  "In the subject line of my notification email they spelled Fulbright wrong!!" Thanks for sharing; that is really good to know. I am going to call her first thing tomorrow morning because the woman I talked to today said she didn't know who had sent out the emails and I would have to talk to the program manager who was out. (!!!!) So yeah, she can expect a call from me tmw at precisely 5 am PT.  B)  Wow, I REALLY hope the EXACT same thing happened to me, and when I call her she's like, "oh really? but you've been accepted dear!" (For some reason I imagine her saying this with a vaguely British accent). It is fishy because one email they sent me never arrived previously. Okay, approximately 13.5 hours... I can do this! Oh Lordy.

So thrilled for all the newly accepted!! That's wonderful! Good luck to those waiting. :)

Oh the life of an alternate. Currently going through the whole rigmarole of networking, emailing, calling....trying to find that magical person who will employ me. Part of me wants to get upgraded because of the wonderful experience, etc. but a growing part of me wants to get it just so I can push off all this stuff for another year, haha.

Thanks Crystal!  :) Thunderstruck, I can imagine, I am wondering if I am going to end up an alternate too. More waiting? Noooo!

Are there are any other Brazil ETA alternates out there, prowling the boards for months like I did anonymously before showing myself? Come forth & let us commiserate together!! I feel like because Brazil ALREADY opened up all these new spots that it's unlikely they will open up even more because of more funding. So, the only chance I probably have is if someone selected decides not to go or can't end up going for some reason. And given the fact that so many people were so excited about their "second chance" I feel like very few who signed up to try for this go-round are going to forgo their spots. Looks like it's probably not in the cards for me this time  -_-  I wonder if it's become I am a bit older (30). I also have a Master's degree and a couple years experience teaching undergrad classes while I was a grad student. And I had a 3.9 GPA!  Sigh. Who knows with Fulbright. Their entire process is totally befuddling.

To all who did make the cut, boa sorte!!! :) I'd love to keep in touch on twitter: @EricaNJohnson

Sorry about the alternate status.  Let me know if you are looking for teaching gigs in San Diego ;) 

Are there are any other Brazil ETA alternates out there, prowling the boards for months like I did anonymously before showing myself? Come forth & let us commiserate together!! I feel like because Brazil ALREADY opened up all these new spots that it's unlikely they will open up even more because of more funding. So, the only chance I probably have is if someone selected decides not to go or can't end up going for some reason. And given the fact that so many people were so excited about their "second chance" I feel like very few who signed up to try for this go-round are going to forgo their spots. Looks like it's probably not in the cards for me this time  -_-  I wonder if it's become I am a bit older (30). I also have a Master's degree and a couple years experience teaching undergrad classes while I was a grad student. And I had a 3.9 GPA!  Sigh. Who knows with Fulbright. Their entire process is totally befuddling.

To all who did make the cut, boa sorte!!! :) I'd love to keep in touch on twitter: @EricaNJohnson

So sorry, but don't give up hope just yet! I'm sure there are many that already committed to jobs or decided they aren't willing to go due to language, riots (anybody watching the confederations cup riots?!), etc. With 90 slots, odds are certainly in favor of some alternates getting moved up!

Ugh... Bummer...

Thanks rtlc06, it really is. I am thoroughly disappointed and the alternate status is tough because there is no definitive answer. The email basically says they may contact you if a spot opens up, or not, in which case you just won't hear from them again, I guess the best course of action is to proceed as though I am NOT getting it, and then if the heavens open up and something crazy happens be pleasantly surprised and very happy. I have seen the other ETA alternates on here who were promoted so it does give me a glimmer of hope. I emailed the program advisor to ask if she could tell me how many alternates there are to get a better sense of the odds but haven't heard back. I don't know if they can release that kind of info...

Sorry about the alternate status.  Let me know if you are looking for teaching gigs in San Diego ;)

Snuffleupagus (LOVE your screen name btw!) I am a huge fan  :) , as a matter of fact I AM looking into and interviewing for adjunct jobs at community colleges and elsewhere in the SD area right now. I have an interview lined up for a semester-long teaching gig next week. If you know of anything that would be great since I am still definitely in the market. Thanks!

So sorry, but don't give up hope just yet! I'm sure there are many that already committed to jobs or decided they aren't willing to go due to language, riots (anybody watching the confederations cup riots?!), etc. With 90 slots, odds are certainly in favor of some alternates getting moved up!

Thanks zhaskin! I love your positivity; it's encouraging! I was actually thinking the same thing: I have been watching the news and not sure how that might affect candidates' decisions about going to Brazil right now. Thank you for the reminder to stay positive. I was pretty dejected this morning after all that build-up but am feeling much better after hanging with my family and just trying not to worry about it anymore: if it's meant to be, it will be, and you never know!  :)

I wonder if it's become I am a bit older (30). I also have a Master's degree and a couple years experience teaching undergrad classes while I was a grad student. And I had a 3.9 GPA!  Sigh. Who knows with Fulbright. Their entire process is totally befuddling.

ATTENTION:

ANYONE WHO DOES NOT THINK THEY HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO EARN A FULBRIGHT GRANT

I just want to tell everyone to please be encouraged! Apply again. Even if you think you won't be accepted. I have just been accepted as a Brazil ETA and did not want to seem like I was bragging, but decided to post this anywayI thought GPA was everything, but apparently not. I was a straight A student from Kindergarten through graduating High school, but not so much in college.

I had a 2.9 GPA and got a Fulbright. I am super happy for everyone with high GPA's (and would have loved to have a high GPA) but I don't want anyone to bank on that alone because it may hinder you elsewhere in your application. You have to stand out. Also although I had a 2.9 GPA I was a Bio major and did poorly, then switched to SPanish/Latin American Studies and got straight A's.

Some pointers

1. For my recommendations:

• I had the Dean of my college in my University (who was one of my Spanish professors in my last yr of university) rate my Spanish level,
  • had an AMAZING teacher I had for 2 Portuguese/Brazil classes rate my Portuguese, proofread my statements, and write a recommendation,
  • had one of my SPanish teachers (from Spain) write me a recommendation who I had for 2 Spanish courses,
  • and a professor who I had for 1 Brazilian History class, and who worked on the Fulbright committee in the past at my University (who also semi suggested Fulbright for me to get to Brazil) write my third recommendation.

I'm not saying these professors/deans made me get the grant, but they did help, especially with my poor GPA and I wanted to share with you. Make sure if you all apply again (and change nothing else) that you have professors who are current or who you participated in their courses and you know liked you much.

2.  In addition, I had 2 professors for Brazilian/Portuguese classes write recommendations. taking these classes probably showed I had a good level of the language.

3. I also know I put my heart and soul into (even though I started my statement about 2 months before the Oct 17 deadline), but once again I did not get even an alternate status in January. I thought to myself "Wow I did not even get an alternate status. How could I think I had a chance at being a competitive applicant?" not thinking that "Hey there were only 30 ETA slots and 1bout 170 who applied so that has nothing to do with you not having a good application"

4. Apply to a country even if you do not think you have a good chance. There are people who applied to a country with very few grants or applied to a country with a lot of grants, a lot of applicants (low percentage of receiving a grant). Apply to what you want. Who would have thought there would be 90 grants added to the country you applied?

DO NOT GIVE UP. If you have a passion for a certain country and would like be there DO NOT GIVE UP.

5. Also, make sure your 2 statements are not the same at all. I PERSONALLY think your personal statement is slightly more important (but should definitely relate to your 2nd statement. Just be REAL in your statements. Do not exaggerrate or make things up. And DO NOT BORE THEM. Imagine how many essays they have read that sound the same. Tell them interesting things and important moments to you. In addition, prior to writing my statement I volunteered for a few months teaching immigrants English (since I did not have any experience teaching adults) and that in itself was beautiful.

6. I just felt the need to write this. Hopefully someone who doesn't think they are good enough and is on the fence about applying will read this and change their mind. Writing the statements definitely helped me see myself clearer than before. Overall be honest about your intentions. If you have a poor GPA in comparison to the 4.0's who you know are applying make sure you mention it in a half sentence. I mentioned that because my family came from poverty I wanted a career that would mean MONEY even if I did not like it. Directly from my statement:

"......Tales such as these often bothered me as a young girl, and as I reached adulthood, they directed me toward a pre-dental career path for the sole purpose of financial stability. Over the course of several semesters, all-the-while with Spanish as my minor, I acknowledged my long-time passion for language, and made a necessary change in career goal..."

I did not mention it ever again in my statement.

7. So BE ENCOURAGED. God has a path for each and every one of us and if you feel it in your heart that you are meant to do something please try again! When I attended the Fulbright meetings at my college (although I had to apply At-Large) I felt inferior in comparison to many overly confident students who knew EXACTLY what they wanted (research grants not ETAs).

Hopefully no one is annoyed :-P Sorry if I'm not typing perfect English. I just woke up and my kitten, Rosie, is distracting me

And to Erica and any other alternates, there is a chance for you!!! Keep your hopes up! After I was turned down in Jan (no alt status) I felt a tiny bit sad, but decided "I guess it was not meant for me" so hearing more slots were there in may, made me FLIP. Also I had people pray for me too :-) Erica, you are an alternate so you have a great chance of getting this. I think at least 5 people won't be able to attend

Any questions? Contact me ;-)

Twitter: Ms_Krystalina

tuc15735@temple.edu

Edited by krys315

Thanks rtlc06, it really is. I am thoroughly disappointed and the alternate status is tough because there is no definitive answer. The email basically says they may contact you if a spot opens up, or not, in which case you just won't hear from them again, I guess the best course of action is to proceed as though I am NOT getting it, and then if the heavens open up and something crazy happens be pleasantly surprised and very happy. I have seen the other ETA alternates on here who were promoted so it does give me a glimmer of hope. I emailed the program advisor to ask if she could tell me how many alternates there are to get a better sense of the odds but haven't heard back. I don't know if they can release that kind of info...

Snuffleupagus (LOVE your screen name btw!) I am a huge fan  :) , as a matter of fact I AM looking into and interviewing for adjunct jobs at community colleges and elsewhere in the SD area right now. I have an interview lined up for a semester-long teaching gig next week. If you know of anything that would be great since I am still definitely in the market. Thanks!

PM sent! :)

There is no Caribbean/CA Facebook group (we're small and spread out). So, in hopes that someone is lurking, I'll askquestioners here: 1. how soon after you emailed your embassy post about confirming your departure date did they respond? 2. If you're currently working a professional job, how soon before you leave are you going to tell your boss? I work in research at a hospital and my boss is on faculty at the school where I go (he's at the med school and so he gets all University newsletters - they mentioned my Fulbright). He's the kindest person EVER so he would never confront me about knowing (if he even does - who reads those things, anyway lol). I just don't want to keep it from him b/c he's aware of the notification timelines and I don't want to appear deceitful... I don't want to leave until January so I have time (approvals permitting). I also don't want to notify too early and not be put on projects... I don't plan on coming back (I wanna go another direction with my career) but I love my boss and want him to continue to mentor me after the fact... Thoughts anyone?

Thanks rtlc06, it really is. I am thoroughly disappointed and the alternate status is tough because there is no definitive answer. The email basically says they may contact you if a spot opens up, or not, in which case you just won't hear from them again, I guess the best course of action is to proceed as though I am NOT getting it, and then if the heavens open up and something crazy happens be pleasantly surprised and very happy. I have seen the other ETA alternates on here who were promoted so it does give me a glimmer of hope. I emailed the program advisor to ask if she could tell me how many alternates there are to get a better sense of the odds but haven't heard back. I don't know if they can release

I don't think they release alternate info. But seriously - reapply. I was an alternate for a full research grant last year and was selected this time around. I was so upset when I didn't get it in 2012... Use resources at your school if possible - my FPA wasn't the most involved (AT ALL) but she still allowed me to look at applications from other selected candidates - it helped.

Have you considered grad school? FB is a great option for funding graduate level research... And for older and more experience students (i.e. Those of us who aren't 22-year-old recent grads) perhaps a more viable option than an ETA, depending on your world region (still seething for Crystal Dee). The Western Hemisphere fortunately seems more open to... well... Seeing a problem with age discrimination...

There is no Caribbean/CA Facebook group (we're small and spread out). So, in hopes that someone is lurking, I'll askquestioners here: 1. how soon after you emailed your embassy post about confirming your departure date did they respond? 2. If you're currently working a professional job, how soon before you leave are you going to tell your boss? I work in research at a hospital and my boss is on faculty at the school where I go (he's at the med school and so he gets all University newsletters - they mentioned my Fulbright). He's the kindest person EVER so he would never confront me about knowing (if he even does - who reads those things, anyway lol). I just don't want to keep it from him b/c he's aware of the notification timelines and I don't want to appear deceitful... I don't want to leave until January so I have time (approvals permitting). I also don't want to notify too early and not be put on projects... I don't plan on coming back (I wanna go another direction with my career) but I love my boss and want him to continue to mentor me after the fact... Thoughts anyone?

How about you make the Facebook group and we go from there?! I'm no help on the questions, but I can be a quick add (there is a general ETA group, so it could be advertised in there to get lots of new members)

Thanks rtlc!! I don't think they can release it either, since she never replied! Congratulations, it must feel so good after a long two-year road to have done it!! So happy for you!! My FPA seems to have dropped of the face of the earth (although it IS summer)... she is a retired prof, geez, must be about 75+? and does the job on a volunteer basis. Very blunt and tells it like it is. Lol. She was very helpful through most of the process though. I am most definitely applying to grad school! My plan now is to teach at community college in San Diego for a year and apply with the next cycle of PhD apps in the field of English/Literature/Media Studies (or some amalgamation to that effect!) for fall 2014.  I would love to do a Fulbright research-based program, or even apply for an arts Fulbright in creative writing at the PhD level to take a year and write a book somewhere else in the world at some point in a grad program!! That would be an AMAZING experience.  :)  And I agree; I have gotten the feeling more and more that the Fulbright ETA position is often (of course not in every case) geared towards a younger demographic. I'm sure there are reasons. And I know, poor CrystalDee :unsure:  I read all about her story on her and I think it's terrible! Thanks for dropping a line; it's good to know that Fulbright seems to like alternates to reapply, and picks them! Congrats again on your perseverance paying off!!  :lol: