Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Ok guys, new development...........drum roll............so I got an email out of the blue today from my FPA: It said, "My reading of Jodi's last email is that you have been awarded a Fulbright. Congrats!" I never got any email from Jodi other than the last one designating me an alternate. Oh, universe, why must you toy with me!

See?!! With so many Brazil grants someone was bound not to accept. CONGRATS!!!

I got an email and call today, bumped from alternate to accepted! totally incredible. good luck to those that are still holding out hope. I didn't think it was possible this late, but it happened!

I got an email and call today, bumped from alternate to accepted! totally incredible. good luck to those that are still holding out hope. I didn't think it was possible this late, but it happened!

Congratulations!! Wonderful news! Thank you for letting us know. :D Good luck on your adventure!

I'm so hopeful for the ones who received a grant, didn't, and those who are still waiting. 

One thing I keep being reminded of is "keep swimming." There are so many things that can and wish to drag us down but we have to keep fighting... keep trying.

I'm in a similar boat. At the beginning of the year I learned I had cancer... and now I have a month left before I have to go to China and I still have all types of financial things to take care of. I take care of my 91 year old great grandmother and am trying to put things into place so that she can be cared for while I'm away.

If anyone is interested in my story it can be found here - http://www.gofundme.com/CancerToFulbright ... all donations are appreciated and if you could help me get the word out that would be excellent. Thank you.

I'm very sorry to hear about your struggles. Best of luck to you.

Just one thing to clarify -- Fulbright is paying for your flights, yes?

It's a reimbursement process. They don't pay, directly, for the flight. You have to pay upfront and once you're done you can get a reimbursement. You have to be wise about it, though as you only get a fixed amount to cover travel. 

I just purchased a one way ticket. Some people get a round trip ticket that has a small fee for an adjustment of the schedule for up to a year.

This must depend on the country, because today I received my e-ticket to India, paid for by the India Fulbright staff.

Just an FYI for anyone reading- the UK does not reimburse Fulbrighters for their tickets!

This is the information I've found:

"Candidates for the partnership awards or those undertaking projects at fee-waiver institutions will pay no tuition fees and will be given a stipend from the Fulbright Commission for international travel and living costs. Stipends will be £12,000 for locations outside of Greater London, or £13,500 within London."

From what I can deduce, that means a portion of the stipend must be dedicated to travel arrangements.

Same as this, from the 2013-14 handbook:

Fulbright Grants generally provide round-trip transportation, language or orientation courses (when appropriate),

a book allowance, maintenance for the academic year based on living costs in the host country, a nominal

research allowance, (when appropriate), and health and accident coverage. For some countries, full or partial

tuition is also offered.

Edited by Alejo

This is the information I've found:

"Candidates for the partnership awards or those undertaking projects at fee-waiver institutions will pay no tuition fees and will be given a stipend from the Fulbright Commission for international travel and living costs. Stipends will be £12,000 for locations outside of Greater London, or £13,500 within London."

From what I can deduce, that means a portion of the stipend must be dedicated to travel arrangements.

Same as this, from the 2013-14 handbook:

Fulbright Grants generally provide round-trip transportation, language or orientation courses (when appropriate),

a book allowance, maintenance for the academic year based on living costs in the host country, a nominal

research allowance, (when appropriate), and health and accident coverage. For some countries, full or partial

tuition is also offered.

Well I am actually a UK scholar for the 13-14 year, so I'm speaking to what I know :) You can use part of your grant money to reimburse yourself, so to speak, but you'll have to pay for your own ticket to get there- you don't receive your money before you're actually in London.

How was orientation in D.C.? Any stories or news? Living vicariously here. :D

The orientation went really well.  If you are interested in the details, you can check out my blog: 

http://gretaingeorgia.blogspot.com/2013/07/fulbright-orientation.html

Edited by Porshyen

The orientation went really well.  If you are interested in the details, you can check out my blog: 

http://gretaingeorgia.blogspot.com/2013/07/fulbright-orientation.html

That's awesome! I am so excited for you! Thanks for the blog posts. :)

Update: I am still working with my University in Estonia on my project and seeking other funding sources. Each time I mention the research to academics and political folks they are very interested. I can't stop working just because Fulbright thinks I am too old. Lol!

This must depend on the country, because today I received my e-ticket to India, paid for by the India Fulbright staff.

Really, that's interesting. 

How big is your cohort, maybe that has something to do with it. 

That's awesome! I am so excited for you! Thanks for the blog posts. :)

Update: I am still working with my University in Estonia on my project and seeking other funding sources. Each time I mention the research to academics and political folks they are very interested. I can't stop working just because Fulbright thinks I am too old. Lol!

You're not too old for anything! Meh that. 

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, quick question. Does anyone know if the alternates who are applying for some of the expanded Brazil slots are applying for the 2013-2014 cycle, or the 2014-2015 cycle?

Applications for the 120 Brazil spots in the 2014-2015 are due in October, yet I know some alternates from the the 2013-2014 cycle have been awarded ETAs in Brazil. Did they expand the ETAs in Brazil to 120 for 2013-2014 as well, or are they bumping those alternates who wished to apply for the expanded slots into the 2014-2015 cycle?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I can't find a thread for the new application cycle. Am I crazy or has no one got a 2014-2015 thread happening yet?

Edited by amirah