Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Hi All,

I am applying to the Fulbright ETA in France for 2013-2014 year. I just graduated from undergrad in May. I was speaking with a fellowship adviser at my university about the program and he seemed to really stress the fact that the ideal candidate is a masters level student. Obviously, I am not at this level and am currently working in a field not directly related to teaching (legal profession). I am just wondering if maybe some of you could shed some more light on how crucial it is to really be a "masters level student"? Have you heard similar things from your advisers? I'm trying to gauge whether this is a common assumption or if this was his way of tempering my expectations to be accepted in the program? I was, perhaps falsely, under the impression that many ETAs were just out of undergraduate.

Thanks very much.

The ideal candidate profile varies country to country, but I don't think all hope is lost if you don't fit into that profile.

It looks like France has two options for ETAs, one through the French gov't, and one through Fulbright/French gov't. You should be able to find more information here:

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedcountry/222

Hi Rach88

Seems like different countries have different preferences. Spain, for example, places a higher priority on ETAs straight out of undergrad. Other countries do as well. Hate to say it, but your advisor may be misinformed about the ETA. While naturally a full grant (research or study) is for the master's or PhD level student, the ETA isn't, exclusively.

I was selected for 2012-2013 for the ETA Germany and the USTA Austria, straight out of undergrad (applied as a graduating senior). With both, my undergraduate student level status seemed to be an asset. Have a friend who will be doing the TAship with TAPIF (the non-Fulbright option through the French gov't) who was accepted straight out of undergrad as well. He also applied for the Fulbright ETA but was not selected. I'd definitely recommend applying for TAPIF as well as the Fulbright ETA so that you have options.

Hi, two questions.

1. In my letter of affiliation, my mentor gave a fairly detailed timeline of how the project would be broken down over the 9 month period. I've read that a timeline should be given in the statement of purpose, but since this is already in the letter, should I include it in the essay as well?

2. I'm applying for a theory project in the sciences, so the cultural take-away is a bit difficult to express. Is it sufficient to say that I plan to take what I learnt/studied in country X back to the US and share it there through teaching or conferences?

Thanks!

My school's internal deadline is fast approaching- good luck everyone!

Same! Mine is Sept 21st and with graduate school starting here in Budapest on Monday I'm up late every night working hard on revisions and edits! :/

I'm applying at-large for a Fulbright grant in the United Kingdom - though I'm a little intimidated by the volume of applications that the program receives in English-speaking countries. I'm hoping to research the relationship between English language development and technology (not just digital, but transitions between oral, written, and printed media as well) at Oxford. I've done some graduate-level research at Oxford previously, but nothing for more than a few weeks at a time. At the moment, I'm struggling through the essay-writing process - it's difficult to negotiate the delicate rhetorical balance that the statement of grant purpose requires...

I'm submitting my application for my campus deadline today for a Germany ETA grant. Very nervous. I'm in my last year of my German MA (BA in German too) and my goal for the future is to teach German in the States, so I really hope I get this since I feel it will really benefit my teaching in the future. Good luck to all.

So, I'm applying to Germany (at-large) and this essay would be super helpful, except it's four pages... am I missing something?

The statement of grant purpose for ETAs use to be 2 pages long, up until a few years ago. I'm guessing that's also the case there, that Fulbright's page limit requirements have changed.

It is probably not in the format it was submitted to Fulbright in. I know I wrote mine (applied last year) single spaced, no extra spaces between paragraphs, absolute minimum header (I think 3 lines), on the advice of my FPA. You want to give as much info as you possibly can. I bet formatted like this essay mine would have been 4 pages as well (and I got a grant so it apparently was an acceptable length)

Edited by liddy

I have recently submitted my ETA application for Malaysia through my alumni institution. I also intend to apply for the Princeton in Asia and Princeton in Africa programs. Both programs have tentative decision release dates for mid-March. Applicants, if selected, have four days to accept. However, after reviewing last year's Fulbright thread, it seems most decisions were released after mid-March. Are any of you considering applying for these programs? I am trying to decide if it is worth doing so...

Good luck to everyone applying!!

Just submitted my ETA application for Taiwan! It feels so good to finally be done with it.

I have recently submitted my ETA application for Malaysia through my alumni institution. I also intend to apply for the Princeton in Asia and Princeton in Africa programs. Both programs have tentative decision release dates for mid-March. Applicants, if selected, have four days to accept. However, after reviewing last year's Fulbright thread, it seems most decisions were released after mid-March. Are any of you considering applying for these programs? I am trying to decide if it is worth doing so...

That is a tough spot to be in. I guess you can always accept and turn it down if you get the Fulbright, if you don't have any qualms about doing that.

Hey BlueLightSpecial,

I received a Princeton in Asia Teaching Fellowship last year to turn it down for my current MA program in Budapest, Hungary. From my experience, it was quite hard to turn down the PiA fellowship, but they didn't have positions as they advertised in some of my preference locations. So I was left with making a decision with a place that I honestly didn't want and a full-ride fellowship to get an MA in Budapest. Although I don't regret my decision I would highly recommend PiA! Also, I have a friend who is currently completing her fellowship with PiAf and she's loving S. Africa so far! Yes, apply to have options! it's always better to have options!

Good luck to everyone! I'm submitting my full application this Friday with my ugrad institutional deadline. Last year I applied for Malta ETA and we were notified on January 20th, 2012 about if we were recommended by the US IIE committee! That should also adhere this year so mid-January (ish) we should know something. Don't panic, keep calm, and definitely wishing the best to you all! :)

So after spending the last year almost working on my grant proposal idea to Denmark, I learned that my affiliation, which has already agreed, would not give me a letter of affiliation until I apply to their graduate program, which isn't possible until MARCH 2013. Long story short I FREAKED OUT and thought it was the end of the line. I contacted the Fulbright head of Europe and Eurasia, and she gave me the go-ahead as long as I put in my grant proposal that I WILL apply and have the school's support and hers. Obviously I am still going ahead but I can't help but wonder..will this hurt me anyway, not having a letter despite my explanation and support?? Anyone have an insights? I'm honestly worried.

Hey BlueLightSpecial,

I received a Princeton in Asia Teaching Fellowship last year to turn it down for my current MA program in Budapest, Hungary. From my experience, it was quite hard to turn down the PiA fellowship, but they didn't have positions as they advertised in some of my preference locations. So I was left with making a decision with a place that I honestly didn't want and a full-ride fellowship to get an MA in Budapest. Although I don't regret my decision I would highly recommend PiA! Also, I have a friend who is currently completing her fellowship with PiAf and she's loving S. Africa so far! Yes, apply to have options! it's always better to have options!

Thank you for the response!!

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "it was quite hard to turn down the PiA fellowship"? Do you mean to say that it was hard for you to turn that opportunity down personally, or were you contractually obligated in some way to take the commitment? Obviously, it doesn't reflect well professionally if you make a commitment and back down during the finalization process with the local institutions. Then again, choosing between one of those programs and a Fulbright, if I am fortunate enough to be invited to both, isn't the worst position to be in...

I believe I will follow through with the application process to both programs.

Hey all,

A couple quick questions:

1. I took classes at several universities for credit which were not my degree granting institution. The website says I have to upload the transcripts for these classes but there isn't any place in the online application designated for me to upload them that I can see. Am I missing something?
  2. I've written everything I feel like I need to say in both my Statement of Grant Purpose and my Personal Statement with space left over in both. Is that a bad thing?

Thank you for the response!!

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "it was quite hard to turn down the PiA fellowship"? Do you mean to say that it was hard for you to turn that opportunity down personally, or were you contractually obligated in some way to take the commitment? Obviously, it doesn't reflect well professionally if you make a commitment and back down during the finalization process with the local institutions. Then again, choosing between one of those programs and a Fulbright, if I am fortunate enough to be invited to both, isn't the worst position to be in...

I believe I will follow through with the application process to both programs.

Hey,

I meant that it was hard to turn down such an amazing opportunity personally but I really searched further within myself and my gut said to go with bettering my academic/professional career by taking on this MA degree. However, if you receive PiA you only get about 4 days to make your yes or no decision so hopefully you would have found out about Fulbright by then. You're making the best choice by applying to both! Good luck! :)

Regards Princeton in Asia,

For the essay question regards choosing the country to complete the fellowship, I am having a hard time choosing between Thailand and Indonesia. Do you have any suggestions when writing the essays? It would be really helpful so I don't seem more confused than I already am.

Thank you so much,

:)

Guys thanks for all your input. It sounds like most of you applied through institutions. I graduated this May and, having missed my university deadline, am now applying at large. From reading successful ETA essays, one thing seems to be clear: all of the candidates seem to have extensive teaching experience. I don't. I can accept this and am making the best of it. But one thing has me stumped. In the ETA STATEMENT OF GRANT essay, one of the things you have to mention is what you're going to be doing when not teaching.

I was wondering how did you guys come up with projects to do when not teaching in your host country?

Hey all,

A couple quick questions:

1. I took classes at several universities for credit which were not my degree granting institution. The website says I have to upload the transcripts for these classes but there isn't any place in the online application designated for me to upload them that I can see. Am I missing something?

2. I've written everything I feel like I need to say in both my Statement of Grant Purpose and my Personal Statement with space left over in both. Is that a bad thing?

I have the same questions, except I am not a grad student (just received my bachelor's degree). I am not including my non-degree seeking credits because they are not related to my project and are only 4 credits. I also have some space to spare in my SGP and PS, not much but some. I have said all I want to say and I feel that anything I add will be filler or repeats. I think it will take away from my application rather than actually make it better.