Tempe, AZ

Guest liquidmethane

I don't mean to beat a dead horse or cloud this board with a petty argument...

Are you sure?

So, when it comes to opinion - we can (and clearly do) disagree. And thank Darwin for differences of opinion - what a boring world we would live in otherwise. For example you like Scottsdale - I think Scottsdale is packed with shallow, vapid, uninteresting people. You are A-OK with the level of heat in AZ and I'm not (yet I've managed to survive and thrive here my entire adult life).

But when it comes to fact - thanks to the advent of internet - you can't fudge. Or you can, but then you'll be caught in a lie. And then people will tend not to believe anything else you say. The highest temperature recorded for February was 92 degrees according to the national weather survey which is a bit higher up then weather.com on the credibility scale.

If your point was that it never topped 90 this February - I never said it did.

And, though you should feel free to continue this argument, I will not be joining you.

*edit

Also, to help answer some questions, there are indeed affordable places to live near ASU - and quiet and safe. The only trouble is you have to get the legwork in to find them, but it's definitely worth the search. Parking on the other hand is pretty lame. The passes are expensive and sometimes you can only get inconvenient structures. I found living near ASU and biking to classes to be the way to go. Best of luck to you!

Fair enough, my friend. I think I misread your previous post, my apologies for that. Thanks for the info on the surrounding area. That's the second time I've heard something about parking being somewhat worthless and I think I'll heed the advice. My worry with apartments around ASU is that I've seen many people (albeit on unreliable apartment rating websites) complain about noise from undergrads and poor management, etc. Maybe their just being overly sensitive but it just made me wonder. I'll do my best to seek out a good spot and I'm sure it will work out for the best. Thanks!

I am mainly looking at apartments directly to the east of campus. Does anyone know if there is a "best" direction to live from campus if one wants to avoid as much of the undergraduate scene as possible?

I would say that the west of campus is actually considered to be quieter. Though I do know plenty of grad students who live to the east of campus who like it and don't have noise problems. So my impression could be a little skewed by what I was told when I started looking for housing.

If you aren't looking on craigslist I'd recommend it. You can find places pretty cheap sometimes, though it may be a little early to find a place for August. Also you might want to sign up for the GradAd listserve, as people often advertise places/rooms for rent on there. You can sign up on the GPSA website (http://www.asu.edu/gpsa/) using a link on the right side of the web page.

• 3 weeks later...

So, what kinds of things do you have to do differently when it's 100 degrees or more? When it gets to be over 90 degrees here (in Portland, OR), people do crazy things like open their windows and let the heat in or guzzle beer and coke, and everyone with metal door handles and black steering wheels burn their hands trying to get in the car and drive somewhere.

I'm moving to Tempe this summer (or, I hope I will, if I ever hear anything more than "congratulations!" from ASU). Will I have to carry gloves so I can open the door? Will I need to shave my cat? Is it impossible to walk to class in the middle of the day without a water bottle? Do people wear zinc oxide on their noses? Is it better to bike or walk? Most importantly, how much money should I budget for keeping cool during the summer, say if I have a 2 bedroom place and one car? :?

• 5 weeks later...

Is anyone else headed to Tempe this fall? I am looking for housing now, will be moving from San Francisco. I will have a car, but I would like to live close enough to walk to campus if possible. I am looking at some little houses in the Maple Ash area to the east of campus. I am not really a fan of living in huge apartment complexes.

Hi there!

I'm moving to Tempe in August from the Monterey Bay Area. I'm also looking for a place within either walking distance of campus or walking distance of a bus or light rail stop. Maple Ash seems like a decent area. I'm not opposed to big apartment complexes though. Sometimes they can be easier to deal with long distance.

What department will you be in?

I will be in the Applied Linguistics department.

Have you visited Tempe at all? I've never been there but I have been reading up on city-data.com forums about where the good places might be. There might also be advantages to living in a complex as well. There are tons of options though, it's hard to tell which places are decent or not.

I went there for a recruitment weekend, so I didn't get much of a chance to check out neighborhoods. The city seems pretty nice though. I was looking at websites for apartment ratings, but it's so hard to judge. The people who post seem to either love it or hate it, and I don't know whose experience is the most typical. Yikes. I've been looking at tons of craigslist ads and I'll be enlisting some of the current students to help me figure out which places are good deals in good areas.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a house within walking distance of campus (cross streets are Broadway and Rural) and I'm looking for a roommate. House has three bedrooms, two bathrooms; rent plus utils will probably come out to around $700-$800. If anybody's interested, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a house within walking distance of campus (cross streets are Broadway and Rural) and I'm looking for a roommate. House has three bedrooms, two bathrooms; rent plus utils will probably come out to around $700-$800. If anybody's interested, let me know.

Hi Thad,

I am admitted to ASU and might come to Tempe in late August. I wonder are u still looking for roommates?

Best Wishes

Sure am. I've started looking at moving out and getting an apartment, too, and am going to have to decide whether I'm staying or going pretty soon here. Drop a PM and we can start getting into specifics. Thanks; have a good one.

• 8 months later...

Do people currently living in the area have any advice for someone moving in? Where is the best place to look for housing? Any good restaurants near the university (any vegetarian places)? Anything you'd tell someone moving to the area that he might not know?

R

• 3 weeks later...

Sheperd,

I did my undergrad at ASU. I graduated a while ago, so a lot my favorite hole in the wall places are closed.

Here is a list of good restaurants that I remember:

- Pita Jungle (big menu - mediterranean, pizza, sandwiches, etc)

- Rula Bula (Irish - GREAT grilled cheese)

- PF Changs (pacfic rim)

- Slices (pizza)

- Sugar Bowl (in Scottsdale - old fashion ice cream/soda shop)

Grocery Shopping:

- Trader Joes

Hope that helps a little!

Shepherd,

I can only comment on the Quadrangles a little. I had a friend who lived there, and I briefly visited. I also heard a lot about it from students. From what I can tell, it is pretty popular with students, especially undergrads, so it might be a little noisy on weekends and at night. I visited during the day though, so I couldn't say that with certainty one way or the other. It looked like a clean enough apartment, especially for what seems like a mostly student-rented complex.

I wouldn't rent sight-unseen, but it's worth a look when you come out to visit.

Now onto food. Food is probably one of the things I will miss most when I leave the Phoenix-metro area.

Check out Slices for sure if you like pizza. They have a lunch special (2 slices and a drink) for about 5 dollars. When they get the pizza right, it is so so good, but they can be a little inconsistent. If you're into Greek food, check out Munchies a few doors down from slices. The owner is really really friendly, especially to regulars. I'm a vegetarian, so I would mostly get the fresh pita bread and hummus, but you should definitely check it out if you like gyros and that sort of stuff.

Off of Mill Ave., but not too far from it is a place called Oregano's. You have to go there. Not up for argument. When you go there, order the original waffle fries. They are my favorite french fries in the whole valley. Their pizza is so good - again, best in the valley (if you like Chicago style as much as I do). The Chicago thin is great, and so is the Chicago pan (be prepared to wait 30 to 45 for the pan to cook though). If you're into pasta I recommend the Big Rig, which is rigatoni pasta with this incredible chipotle/tomato sauce. They only have one dessert at Oregano's. It's called a pizooki, and it is this half-baked giant cookie covered with many scoops of ice cream. Bring friends.

I will PM you a larger list of restaurants in the valley later today if you're interested.

Thanks, Nikki. I tried Pita Jungle when I visited campus last year and it was great! I'll be sure to check out the other places.

I appreciate the advice, Breakfast. I would love the restaurant list if it's not too much trouble (I'm vegetarian too, so that would be perfect :) ).

R

Look for small houses and apartments in the Maple Ash neighborhood just west of campus. You don't want to live in any big apartment complex in Tempe as a grad student.

There is a company called Tempe Rentals (or Rentals Tempe) in the Maple Ash neighborhood. DO NOT even consider using this company.

I appreciate the advice, Breakfast. I would love the restaurant list if it's not too much trouble (I'm vegetarian too, so that would be perfect :) ).

Are you planning on owning a car? If so, I can recommend some really great places in Central Phoenix. I was a commuter student, so I didn't spend a whole lot of time in Tempe, but I still know of a few veg. friendly food joints in the east valley.

I should be able to get a nice list together in a few days. I have to finish up some work I'm doing in the next day or two, but after that I will have time to throw something together. It won't be any trouble - I love recommending locally owned places for people to check out.

Oh, and Hairold is right. There are some really nice homes in the Maple Ash district. You still get a few large undergrad infested homes in the neighborhood, but the police are pretty good about shutting down any really loud parties. If you're looking for a more quiet atmosphere, I'd focus your search on that area.

Edited by breakfast

Look for small houses and apartments in the Maple Ash neighborhood just west of campus. You don't want to live in any big apartment complex in Tempe as a grad student.

There is a company called Tempe Rentals (or Rentals Tempe) in the Maple Ash neighborhood. DO NOT even consider using this company.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

R

Are you planning on owning a car? If so, I can recommend some really great places in Central Phoenix. I was a commuter student, so I didn't spend a whole lot of time in Tempe, but I still know of a few veg. friendly food joints in the east valley.

I should be able to get a nice list together in a few days. I have to finish up some work I'm doing in the next day or two, but after that I will have time to throw something together. It won't be any trouble - I love recommending locally owned places for people to check out.

Oh, and Hairold is right. There are some really nice homes in the Maple Ash district. You still get a few large undergrad infested homes in the neighborhood, but the police are pretty good about shutting down any really loud parties. If you're looking for a more quiet atmosphere, I'd focus your search on that area.

I plan on living close to campus and not using my car very often, but I plan on buying one when I get there (my wife will probably need one to commute to work). Anyplace you think is really good would be wonderful. Thanks again!

Anyone have any idea where to look for places int he Maple Ash area? I see a couple apartments online, but they're really expensive (more than $1000 a month).

R

Many of the places in that neighborhood are not advertised online. Most places just put a sign up on the lawn or something. There aren't too many apartment complexes in the area as it is mostly small houses that people rent out. If you take a trip to the area it might be worth just walking around the neighborhood. Also keep an eye out on craigslist.

I plan on living close to campus and not using my car very often, but I plan on buying one when I get there (my wife will probably need one to commute to work). Anyplace you think is really good would be wonderful. Thanks again!

Anyone have any idea where to look for places int he Maple Ash area? I see a couple apartments online, but they're really expensive (more than $1000 a month).

R

Many of the places in that neighborhood are not advertised online. Most places just put a sign up on the lawn or something. There aren't too many apartment complexes in the area as it is mostly small houses that people rent out. If you take a trip to the area it might be worth just walking around the neighborhood. Also keep an eye out on craigslist.

Thanks, I'll do that.

R