MPA/MPP programs given a security focus

I was wondering which top programs (KSG, WWS, etc.) would be the best options if I want to study public policy but specialize in security-related matters? Long term career goal would be working for government agencies such as DOD, CIA, maybe Army. According to the KSG class of '11 employment overview, the school sent students to those three employers, among others, so I am guessing it's the IGA focus of KSG? Any information greatly appreciated.

Edited by harmat2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also recommend you look at Columbia SIPA for it's MPA program. It has an international security concentration. Also look at Duke Sanford. There is a new National Security concentration there. It's in the third year maybe but not really sure if it's been added to the website. Finally, GW Trachtenberg has a National Security concentration for the MPP program.

I'm interested in the same things and wanted a policy degree with an international / security concentration available. So I've done all the research on these programs and their offerings. I ultimately chose the LBJ School at UT for personal fit and family reasons. Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to second Georgetown, JHU or Elliot - simply because they are in the DC area. Ideally your first summer you would get an internship (and months before that, get your clearance processed) so by the time you're a graduate you would have 1) work experience 2) contacts and 3) clearance.

Side note however, you would benefit considerably if you worked in the areas you described before your grad degree. You could easily move to the DC area, work in those sector(s), and then figure out how the degree will help you. It is a considerably broad sector so do not, by any means, feel you need to focus on 'security studies' to open doors in those sectors.

Edited by lost_0101