Am I being realistic?

Greetings fellow Art History gradcafers! I just recently made an account, and like so many others of you who have already applied, or are applying to grad schools, I am wondering if anyone would be so kind as to evaluate my chances, if possible.

I am currently a senior at a large, public research university double majoring in Art History (of course) and English Literature. My overall GPA is 3.4, and my major GPAs are 3.7ish and 3.6ish respectively. I was first enrolled as a Biology major who quickly found himself gloomy and disillusioned with large class sizes, unapproachable professors, and a very, very structured curriculum. In other words, my grades from Freshman year are to say the least, deplorable and embarrassing. I didn't fail, but I did receive some unremarkable Cs and Ds. My only As and Bs were given to me in Humanities courses. I don't believe I did better in the latter classes because I found them easier, but because I found them to be more intellectually stimulating and exciting. So when I was a Sophomore I changed to my current majors, and with each succeeding year since then my marks have improved. I should have graduated this past May, but I recently decided to pursue departmental honors in Art History and English, so I'm doing an extra year.

I completed my honor's thesis for the former in the Spring. In this paper I compared Last Judgment paintings produced during the Renaissance period, and I received an A. Other accomplishments of mine include a publication in an online undergraduate English Honor Society Journal, and a paper presentation on Georgia O'Keeffe's Abstract works at an undergraduate Art History Conference. I've been a gallery docent/guard at one of my university's art galleries, and as of right now I'm a curatorial and administrative intern at a small museum. In my internship I've had the privilege of working intimately with the curator, in which I have helped research and edit her endnotes for an upcoming catalogue she has written, as well as assisting with the formatting of labels and the creation of a powerpoint for the museum's current and recently opened exhibit. Moreover, the curator has been kind enough to mention me in the Acknowledgments section of said catalogue; it will be available in late July. In the upcoming fall semester I will be doing an independent study on a twentieth-century german artist, working in my school's writing center as a tutor, and helping one of my English professors as an undergraduate teaching assistant in a British Lit. survey course.

I am interested in German Expressionism and Renaissance Art. I taken courses in elementary and intermediate college level German, averaging a B+. I understand B+ is not stellar, but I will continue to work at the language, even if it means re-taking German at the undergraduate level while I'm in a Masters Program; I understand some departments offer this option... or so I think? Regardless, I will investigate further.

I will be applying only to MA Programs in Art History, especially those that are particularly strong in Modern and Renaissance art. Schools that are of interest to me include CUNY Queens, Penn State, Temple University, University of Oregon, University of Missouri-Columbia, University of Toronto, University of Madison- Wisconsin, Columbia and University of Texas-Austin. I intend to try to narrow this list to about 5 or 7 schools. I understand that finding a POI at the Masters level is not mandatory, but I am researching them nonetheless. Any suggestions on other schools and instructors will be greatly appreciated!

I also understand that grad programs, some more than others, seek to diversify their departments by enrolling students of different ethnicities. I'm half Hispanic (mother's side). I'm not really sure if that will help or not, I mean obviously no matter what race or sexual orientation, if one does poorly in school and lacks emotional maturity, it's going to be difficult to be accepted into any grad program. Also, as I briefly stated earlier, some departments value diversity, while others not so much, therefore being Hispanic may do little for me.

Sorry about my digressions, I just want to provide you all with a solid picture of who I am and what I have done. Although the application process is overwhelming, it is also exciting and educational! So if I can help anyone else in any way, please let me know! Thank you for taking the time to read and/or skim!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I am scheduled to take the GRE in September, so clearly I have no results for the exam. And to be honest, I have no projection regarding how I will do on it, but I hope well!

As for Letters of Rec. I have three professors who know me both as a student and human being, so I believe I am alright with those!

Thank you FullofPink! I realize I'm not competitive enough to apply to a PhD program, so I think I may have more of a fighting chance if I apply for the MA. After I complete my MA, which I aspire to do well in, I do intend to apply to institutions that both offer the doctorate and have my POI. I would like to be a professor of Art History in the future.

Being "competitive" for a PhD program is very different than being ready for a PhD program. Some people may have tons of experience but if they do not know how to direct their focus and present a full package, then they will easily be left in the dust. If you know what you want to study, if you know how to go about it, and if you already have the credentials (languages, some research experience) then you have as decent a chance as anyone else.

I would also suggest adding Virginia Commonwealth University to your list. They just hired a Renaissance scholar and German expressionist scholar. Also, if you can decide upon one, you probably have a good chance getting into their PhD program.

Thank you for your words of encouragement, and your straightforward responses. I hear you on the whole "being ready" thing. The problem is while I do find German Expressionism more interesting, I have never written a substantial paper on the subject, at least not until this upcoming fall, and I already have written an honor's thesis on a Renaissance theme. And wouldn't graduate programs prefer I submit to them a substantial thesis rather than a course paper, or independent study? I mean I definitely could use the forthcoming paper on German art as a writing sample, regardless, when Art History departments review my transcripts they'll see I did an honor's project, so would they not also be interested to see what that was about? Or perhaps they may think it unusual that I chose to submit a different essay? I did receive an "A" on my thesis, so it is apparent I'm not ashamed of it. But as you said, if I outline that I plan on pursuing Expressionism in a statement of purpose for example, then it would make complete sense why I decided to submit a paper on that over my study of Last Judgments.

Thank you also for the Virginia Commonwealth suggestion, I've heard good things about the Art History program, but never had the incentive to investigate until you brought up the aforementioned faculty members.

You can explain your command of the field more in a statement of purpose than in one thesis paper, and especially in a term paper. If you understand the scholarship in your area, then that accounts way more than having written a paper in it. Also, when applying to a program, it wouldn't be odd to contact the school and see what paper would suit the topic best. My guess is that anyone would suggest submitting the one most relevant to your intended area.

i do agree that they will see you did a thesis on renaissance art, but if you are applying to German expressionism, they'll wonder why you didn't submit one on that.

I'm PMing you later tonight, as a head's up :)

• 4 weeks later...

You can have more than one interest area. You'll just have to decide which one is secondary.

The B+ in German is fine. Continue with German--take upper-division courses in literature, or cultural readings in German. Add a second language--if you think you might want to do Renaissance primarily, try Italian or Latin.

I recommend applying to TERMINAL M.A. programs. Many of your schools offer M.A.s along with Ph.D.s So that would be UC Riverside, UW Milwaukee, UMass Amherst, etc. Places like that. If you're not confident about your competitiveness, well, that's less competitive. Plus, there will be better financial aid for you. Overall, the philosophy should be to apply to a wide range of schools, some where you're fairly sure you can get in, up to some that are probably dream schools out of reach. If you find a place that really suits your interests very well, don't worry whether you're applying to Ph.D. or M.A. Go ahead and go for broke.

Now, if you wanted to combine the German with the Renaissance, U.T. would be a good place.

I'm going to agree with fullofpink's comments in general, but also specifically second the suggestion that you ask which piece of writing the school you're appling to would like. If you feel comfortable contacting someone in that department (or if you've been in contact/met with someone in the department), it shouldn't hurt to ask what they think or what they would like to see from you for your writing sample.

I'm also going to second losemygrip in regards to not selling yourself short competitiveness-wise. If you absolutely know that the Ph.D. is what you want, then don't let other people's percieved competition stop you from applying for those programs.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been on gradcafe in a little while, so I do apologize for not getting back to you folks sooner.

Thank you for your advice losemygrip and LLajax! Fullofpink has been undeniably helpful and encouraging. LLajax, I have a confession I need to divulge to you. Before I made an account I swear I incessantly read several posts you made which are now testaments to your journey of getting into a graduate program, so I would like to congratulate you personally, well not really personally but sort-of, on your acceptance into Brown University, WOOHOO! Losemygrip, I appreciate your several suggestions of terminal MA Art History programs, and I am actually very familiar with those at UC Riverside and UMass Amherst. Unfortunately, the professor of German Modern art at the latter institution is now retired, or an "emerita" professor. However, the emphasis on the Renaissance, Early Modern, and Twentieth century periods at the former institution is pretty considerable! Other schools of interest that offer terminal masters programs include CUNY Queens and Williams College. AHHH, I'm so overwhelmed, but excited all at once!

I also agree that "competitiveness" is concomitant with being prepared and having a focused application, and not so much dependent on grades, although those are important, nor on the reputation of one's undergraduate alma mater. My worry about the "competition" was a result of my previous naivety, and I have fullofpink, as well as you both, losemygrip and LLajax, to thank for alleviating my concerns.

Thank you!