Material Science PHD fall 13

ankurshah

am looking to apply for PhD material science for fall 13. AM in the initial application process. am trying to figure out the uni i need to apply to in us...

alll the fellow mat science potential grad students for fall 13 lets gather around here and have some discussion regaridng the whole admission process.. pls provide you details in the following

UG(feild): Math?Phy?Chem?Chem.engg/Mech and the list goes on

PG (if attending): mostly MS

GPA's:

GRE: Q/V/AWA

# of LOR :3-4?????

Paper/Patents/scholarship:

Uni applying :

here a lil abt me self

UG: regular indian institute, % system 72% , >3.5 GPA by US standard

PG : regulal Uni in NYC, GPA 3.52

GRE Yet to give.. hate it dont like it...

#LOR : looking for atleast2 from MS uni, one from ma work place and 1 from indian uni

Paper/patents/Scholarship: 1 patent one puny scholarship

Uni App: not yet decided but Cornell i will be applying , also looking at EU ( read EPFL and ETH)

now lets get the post rolling

• 2 months later...

UG - Top 100 university in USA Manufacturing Engineering Technology

GPA - 3.48

GRE - Not taken

LOR - Nothing cool just a generic one

Paper - None

Uni applying - University of Utah

Working as Manufacturing Engineer currently

• 2 weeks later...

UG(feild): Physics; French at top 3 liberal arts college.

PG: PG research in Chemistry, though I was not officially enrolled as a student at that time

GPA's: 3.0. Low, I know.

GRE: 163/163/4.0. I was honestly shocked by my low AW score. Expected a 5.0, at least.

# of LOR : 2/3, from UG Physics professors

Paper/Patents/scholarship: None

Uni applying : BU, JHU, WashU (reaches), applying to about 5 others (still to finalize list of such). With regards to my GPA, there are no schools I could really bank on as safeties.

Some other good materials programs would be at University of Dayton, Ohio State, University of Washington, North Carolina State, Rice University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Drexel, Purdue and Washington University in St. Louis.

Nice to see someone from Materials Science :)

UG: Materials Science, Indian Institute of Technology

Masters: Materials Science, Texas A&M University, College Station

GPA's: 7.5 (UG), 3.87 (Masters)

GRE: 167/159/ Yet to receive

# of LOR :3

Scholarships: Academic Fellowship from the Department for 2011-2012 in TAMU.

Universities applying : UIUC, GaTech, NCSU, Northwestern, UC Davis. I guess I'll be applying for 3 more.

• 2 weeks later...

UG: regular Indian institute, % system 72% , >3.5 GPA by US standard

PG : regular Uni in NYC, GPA 3.52

GRE Yet to give.. hate it dont like it...

#LOR :3: looking for at least 2 from grad school and one from india

Paper/patents/Scholarship: 1 patent one puny scholarship

Uni App: going to apply

USA - : CMU, Cornell, Penn State, Uni.Washington, Drexel, Utah, Rutgers (list will expand based on GRE

EU- EPFL, ETH, Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial

Asia: Nanyang Tech

Australia :Uni. Queensland, Monash University, Uni.Melbourne

Except USA, have get a project and supervisor then applt

• 2 weeks later...

I dont really think that Unv.of Washington or Drexel are good school to spend application fees on. And of course they are really unreasonable in giving admission since they are having real economical problems as for now. They have both descended in ranking since 2012 in new USNEWS 2013.

Edited by Radian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've lurked long enough; now I'll bite (list seems shorter than I've seen in years past, and I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing).

UG - Liberal Arts College

Fields - physics and chemistry

GPA - 3.8+

GRE - 80%+ / 80%+ / 80%+

Recommendations - three

Publications - yes

Schools - 12 total including Texas A&M, UIUC, Georgia Tech, NCSU, and Penn. State.

I dont really think that Unv.of Washington or Drexel are good school to spend application fees on. And of course they are really unreasonable in giving admission since they are having real economical problems as for now. They have both descended in ranking since 2012 in new USNEWS 2013.

Really? I didn't know that (about the rank or the funding). What economic probs? Are they affecting funding for their PhD students? Do tell.

i agree, as a graduate forum i expected this to be more crowded discussion... but i guess there something amiss here... exp for a mat science dept which is so interdisciplinary... anyway am still working through the statement of purpose, hopefully i will be able to make it to cornell's deadline :P

• 2 weeks later...

UG: Mechanical Engineering, Boston University

Masters: Materials Science, Boston University

GPA's: 3.94 (BS/MS)

GRE: 163/162/5.0

# of LOR : 3

Scholarships: A bunch from within BU

Universities applying : BU, CalTech, MIT, Northwestern, UCSB, Stanford, University of Cambridge

Already posted my stats over in the main thread...here's to hoping everyone gets in :) I'm checking feverishly even though the only one I might hear on before the beginning of the year is UIUC. :) Really excited to get out of undergread..

• 2 weeks later...

to UIUC folks: Looks like Dr. John Weaver has become fast this semester :-) Although I guess the current admission are based on Professor Advocacy rather than normal applications.

i dun' really know--they seem to try to get through them really fast. I've seen in past years that some people got responses before the deadline. i applied on dec. 19th I think if it helps anyone. I know they tend to send out another round of acceptances later in january and a few late ones as well. glad to see some other people are applying in mse as well...seems like there aren't too many of us on here  :)

Looks like UCSB also started sending out emails. Wish I got one, really hoping to work with Prof. Palmstrom or Prof. Seshadri...

Hey foreverfree, are you the other UIUC Hamer fellow that posted on the results page? Congrats, I got the email a couple days back too, just posted today. I submitted my app right at the deadline (Jan. 1) if that helps anyone

yeah i was :) I wouldn't worry too much about UCSB--last year it looks like they sent out most of their acceptances at the end of january. If you got into UIUC you have a great shot at UCSB...I was going to apply there myself but I decided they didn't have enough faculty doing research in my field. At this point just glad to be in somewhere good  :)

I am having this weird feeling that I am loosing UCSB :D ... I was pretty sure I would get the offer and then decline it :D ... 

Anyway, that's a good practice: knowing beforehand I mean :D

Edited by Radian

@ChemPhys: I think they give out a fair amount...maybe 20? 

glad we're all hearing from some places. I'm just hoping for early admissions everywhere. (obviously would be just as happy to get in late but the waiting is killing me!)  :lol: