Material Science PHD fall 13

ankurshah

Well Cornell is one of those schools where Faculty get students by themselves -at least I am 100% positive about that in Electrical Engineering-

If you have a green light from a professor then you're fine and if not your chances are very low.

well, i have mainly worked in polymers and composites and for PhD i want to shift for energy harvesting devices. without any relevant exp i did think too much about contacting professors and applied directly. Well being from India from a regional uni i think my chances were slim to begin with. anyway hoping a strong recommendation turns decision in my favour

what about Rutgers. I did find the decent research going. DOes anyone have an idea about the internal working of the dept? They are crowded my internationals? does dept with more inetnational then american is a bad thing?

since i am not in the US i have not contacted prof from any of the uni i have applied to. Does this hurt the application a lot?

what about Rutgers. I did find the decent research going. DOes anyone have an idea about the internal working of the dept? They are crowded my internationals? does dept with more inetnational then american is a bad thing?

since i am not in the US i have not contacted prof from any of the uni i have applied to. Does this hurt the application a lot?

I have not contacted any professors either, although most of my friends have, albeit for different departments/schools. Not contacting professors hasn't hurt my application yet, but I'm only speaking from a limited personal experience. I guess it depends on the school/department. I read on the FAQ page for a few programs that they did not recommend directly contacting professors during the application period, but my undergraduate research adviser said it couldn't hurt. Sorry I guess I didn't answer definitively in one direction, but at least you're not alone in not contacting profs!

that is true. ONe of my recommender insisted that i contact prof to be on the safer side but i decided against it. As i would not have anything concrete to say about the work or a specific project  it better not worth contact them. Although i did receive positive reply from notre Dame. They said  as i have submitted my app i can try reaching out to profs.

either ways, at time PhD application is such a confusion. You can never be sure about how thing work out. i word term the process as evolutionary mutation :D  

I'm interested in nanomaterials and electronics. I've emailed two professors about my interest in their work (about a month or two ago). Should I go ahead and email two others to see if I can get the ball moving more rapidly :S

Of course. Go ahead and do it. Even if no one response and you get in, you can refer to the email saying you were intereseted in their work from the begining.

I felt like I had made a mistake by not contacting professors, but I hinted strongly in my SOP who I was interested in working with (by talking about the fields, e.g. plasmonics or low-dimensional electronic systems or whatever). So far seems to be working in my favor, got an email yesterday from an Applied Phys. professor whose lab was my top choice at the school.  :rolleyes:

still..I guess now I'll never know if I could have prevented any rejections I might get. I think some schools, especially ones with larger departments like UIUC, are less likely to look for fit as they are to care about credentials, but other schools require that you basically be chosen by a professor.

any of you know, when does the international student admit start coming out? does it come out after the recruitment weekend?

i do know few uni like UIUC NW RPI etc etc have out started giving result  but the cont is very small

They have started the application review process, I am told by graduate chair last time I saw him. If you have a faculty memeber who can send a note to Dr. Alford saying he/she will support you for at least 2 years he will process your admission right away.

Otherwise, it will take time. And the Materials Department doesn't have much money on TA unlike Physics department. In physics Peter Bennett is going to give you a hard time for admission :D

PS. if you want to do research on anything else than electronics or Microscopy I don't suggest ASU.

Interesting... I have applied to MSE program at ASU (PhD) and I had a phone call recently with POI.

I don't really feel positive about my admission at this moment though :(

My interests are quite broad but trying to study semiconductor and organic fuel/solar cells at ASU.

Hope to hear good news soon, since I really like the location (phoenix) with bunch of companies around!

How's school atmosphere, job market, and program? Let me know sun devils  :D

Interesting... I have applied to MSE program at ASU (PhD) and I had a phone call recently with POI.

I don't really feel positive about my admission at this moment though :(

My interests are quite broad but trying to study semiconductor and organic fuel/solar cells at ASU.

Hope to hear good news soon, since I really like the location (phoenix) with bunch of companies around!

How's school atmosphere, job market, and program? Let me know sun devils  :D

They are investing lots of resources in Solar Cell and have really cool facilities (mainly the EE department) called the QESST project ~ 35 Million $

city is pretty awesome and hot ! both in weather and other stuff :)

Job Market ... Hmmm ... I haven't heard anything bad. two labmates both are in intel now.

Program, in terms of courses and stuff : HUGH ! ... but you can take many courses from outside MSE, like the EE program which is literally FANTASTICCCCC ! I haven't really seen any other school with such wonderful courses in semiconductors and devices as the EE department here.

They are investing lots of resources in Solar Cell and have really cool facilities (mainly the EE department) called the QESST project ~ 35 Million $

city is pretty awesome and hot ! both in weather and other stuff :)

Job Market ... Hmmm ... I haven't heard anything bad. two labmates both are in intel now.

Program, in terms of courses and stuff : HUGH ! ... but you can take many courses from outside MSE, like the EE program which is literally FANTASTICCCCC ! I haven't really seen any other school with such wonderful courses in semiconductors and devices as the EE department here.

Thanks for the useful info! helps so much :)

All I need to do now is just waiting I guess, arghh

Anyways, good luck to you!

It seems like Stanford has started sending out the admissions for MSE. There are two posts as for now in the result page, one domestic and one international.  :rolleyes:

Yea Stanford's MSE admits is up to 6 it seems. Anybody visiting 2/14? And anyone get funding info from them?

Check your emails folks: as confirmed above, a veritable bounty of admission letters went out it seems.

Also, listen to this song -- I received an acceptance about 2 minutes into it

Congratz buddy ;)

Has anyone heard back from anyone else? I have received word of some sort from UIUC, NCSU, Penn State, and UT Austin.

Hey ChemPhysMatSci, 

What exactly did you hear from these universities? I've applied to 3 out of those 4 univs, and I'm really nervous about it.

Hey ChemPhysMatSci, 

What exactly did you hear from these universities? I've applied to 3 out of those 4 univs, and I'm really nervous about it.

Two have accepted me and two have invited me to visit. I've seen very little NCSU, UT or Penn State activity on the site, so don't be alarmed. If my memory serves me well, the admission database on this website indicates that the season is still somewhat early.

And thank you much, Radian.

Edited by ChemPhysMatSci

No info. All I received was a generic email form noreply@asu.edu linking to my.asu.com where it shows congratulations on my page there. Im an undergrad at ASU currently, so that might have something to do with it. That being said, it was very underwhelming. 

Yea Stanford's MSE admits is up to 6 it seems. Anybody visiting 2/14? And anyone get funding info from them?

I'll be visiting Stanford on 2/14 as well.  Kind of a pain to fly from the east coast for a day and a half session, but hopefully worth it.  It's really irritating that they withhold information about funding, but hopefully we'll hear about that soon.

Also, I go to Penn State and have spoken with the department head (I have class with her right now).  Penn State sent out emails to domestic applicants inviting "prospective students" to an open house here in the middle of February.  This isn't an acceptance, but rather a chance for professors and students to pair together before acceptance offers are made.  She did say last week that acceptances would be going out soon, and she thought it would be this week.  But who knows?