Slavics

sunbabygirl

Me... I've heard back from three schools. I'm 2/3 so far. I've had phone interviews with three others.

How about everyone else? I know there must be more than just the two of us on here. BTW, thanks for starting the conversation. I've been wondering too.

How/when were you contacted by Pitt for a phone interview? I'm waiting on them, UW and UVA for ANY word at all.

My stats: mediocre GRE, 3.80 GPA from private lib arts, 1 publication in field, 2 out of field (environmental science), 1 conference.

How/when were you contacted by Pitt for a phone interview? I'm waiting on them, UW and UVA for ANY word at all.

My stats: mediocre GRE, 3.80 GPA from private lib arts, 1 publication in field, 2 out of field (environmental science), 1 conference.

I got an email from Pitt regarding the interview on Friday, and had the interview earlier today. What are your research interests? I am mainly into 19th century Russian literature and Russian intellectual history.

I got an email from Pitt regarding the interview on Friday, and had the interview earlier today. What are your research interests? I am mainly into 19th century Russian literature and Russian intellectual history.

I'm a nervous wreck, now, by the way.

I'm interested in early 20th century. Symbolists, Neorealists, Futurists.

Was this a language proficiency-focused interview, or more general?

I'm a nervous wreck, now, by the way.

I'm interested in early 20th century. Symbolists, Neorealists, Futurists.

Was this a language proficiency-focused interview, or more general?

Well, it's interesting because for the other two phone interviews, the professors/interviewers specified in the email that part of the interview would be conducted in Russian. The prof from Pitt did not mention speaking Russian so I was A LOT less nervous about it. I think I did much better this time because I didn't have time to freak out about it.

I kind of feel like testing my Russian speaking/listening skills has been the main purpose of all of the phone interviews, but all three have used it as an opportunity to tell me about their programs too. Incidentally, the two schools that have accepted me did not interview me at all.

Edited by karamazov

Well, it's interesting because for the other two phone interviews, the professors/interviewers specified in the email that part of the interview would be conducted in Russian. The prof from Pitt did not mention speaking Russian so I was A LOT less nervous about it. I think I did much better this time because I didn't have time to freak out about it.

I kind of feel like testing my Russian speaking/listening skills has been the main purpose of all of the phone interviews, but all three have used it as an opportunity to tell me about their programs too. Incidentally, the two schools that have accepted me did not interview me at all.

Brother K and all other lurking Slavs, how ridiculous was that UW language exam? It wasn't hard, but between nerves and the length, I don't think I did stellar. I also chose to write my essay on Marina Abramovic's "Balkan Baroque" which was, at a minimum, a BOLD choice.

I broke down and called Christine, the Department secretary at Pitt asking when decisions would be released.

The committee was having final deliberations on the applications, and they will release decisions in three tiers. Tier one will be released next week, tier three at the end of March(!)

I guess I am slightly placated.

I broke down and called Christine, the Department secretary at Pitt asking when decisions would be released.

The committee was having final deliberations on the applications, and they will release decisions in three tiers. Tier one will be released next week, tier three at the end of March(!)

I guess I am slightly placated.

Well, I actually withdrew my app from Pitt. U of Chicago has always been my number one and I've already gotten in there... Now I'm basically just waiting to hear from Princeton and Harvard, because those are the only two that I might consider over Chicago.

Good luck with your app, though! Hope everything turns out in your favor.

I wish someone else would speak up in this forum if only to take my mind off of all of this for just a second. I mean, I know this is a small field, but come on! Are we really the only two this year?

Edited by karamazov

Well, I actually withdrew my app from Pitt. U of Chicago has always been my number one and I've already gotten in there... Now I'm basically just waiting to hear from Princeton and Harvard, because those are the only two that I might consider over Chicago.

Good luck with your app, though! Hope everything turns out in your favor.

I wish someone else would speak up in this forum if only to take my mind off of all of this for just a second. I mean, I know this is a small field, but come on! Are we really the only two this year?

K, congratulations on Chicago and best of luck on your decision. I've had two Professors who were relatively recent grads of Princeton ('04 and '06) and had nothing but great things to say about the program.

I'm considering withdrawing my UW app- are you very seriously considering them?

K, congratulations on Chicago and best of luck on your decision. I've had two Professors who were relatively recent grads of Princeton ('04 and '06) and had nothing but great things to say about the program.

I'm considering withdrawing my UW app- are you very seriously considering them?

No, I haven't really been seriously considering them since I heard from Chicago. I don't know if I will withdraw though. Pitt really wasn't even a good fit for me... plus, during the interview, the prof asked me if I really wanted to go there and he was really nice, so I felt like I should let them know out of courtesy.

As for the other schools, right now I still kind of feel like I want to have some backup options in case something goes wrong.