Toronto, ON

Guest KK

Hey Adelaide9216,

I think booking a flight about 60-90 days in advance of the anticipated travel date would give you a good deal. You can compare flight rates for different airlines and for different dates through Google Flights and also set up alerts for any price fluctuations. Also, if you looking to fly to Toronto, you may want to see if there are flights that land in other airports other than Pearson, like the Billy Bishop Airport or the Hamilton Airport; they tend to be relatively cheaper. Albeit, you would need to also make accommodations to reach your final destination accordingly. I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Romeo

On 6/27/2018 at 6:21 AM, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello,

A bit off topic, but I'd need some advice. I need to fly to Toronto with my sister (we're two adults) on September 15 this year for one time event. When is the right moment to start looking for flights?

Thank you,

I would say right away.

The earlier you check, the cheaper you get.

The flight fares will only keep increasing since this is the time when graduates admissions take place and there is a high demand for flight tickets.

• 6 months later...

Hi! I have received an offer from University of Toronto for Fall 2019 - not sure about funding yet. Any idea what the cost of a studio/ensuite room would be around the Scarborough campus or which websites would be good to look through for this? I am surfing through some, the costs seem to have a huge range... 

Has anyone lived on campus? How is it?

On 1/26/2019 at 3:01 PM, Troodondodo said:

Hi! I have received an offer from University of Toronto for Fall 2019 - not sure about funding yet. Any idea what the cost of a studio/ensuite room would be around the Scarborough campus or which websites would be good to look through for this? I am surfing through some, the costs seem to have a huge range... 

Hello!

Check out:

viewit.ca
padmapper.com

Not sure about the range around that area, but it'll definitely be more affordable than downtown on the minimum U of T stipend. U of T should also have a housing board where you can check out some apartments that are up for rent around campus - you will probably have less competition looking through those listings.

Good luck, and congratulations on your acceptance!!

Edited by eggs.pdf

On 1/26/2019 at 3:01 PM, Troodondodo said:

I've been looking for apartments in that area for a while now. I currently live in East Toronto but not in Scarborough. I would say you're looking between $1000-1500 for a bachelor or 1 bedroom apartment but it depends on your standards. Basement apartments tend to be cheaper (but darker). I've seen rooms in a multi-bedroom house or apartment for 500 or 600. I would check Kijiji. But, whatever the living situation, it's worth checking it's location to local transit systems i.e. how far south or north of the Danforth the place is... I've been lured into a few places only to realize it's quite a commute to the subway line

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I have been offered CDN$ 23000 as funding from UofT (including TA). Would possibly get some more money from working as RA. How much more would I need to earn to survive somewhere commutable from St. George campus, approx.? Any accommodation is okay with me as long as washroom is not shared. Also, are fellowships and assistantships in Toronto taxed? 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Ocean's_Witch

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 8:45 PM, Ocean's_Witch said:

Hi! I have been offered CDN$ 23000 as funding from UofT (including TA).

Congratulations on your acceptance. I have received an offer it just stated the 17500 CAD base funding. How did you know about the TA? 

On 2/19/2019 at 1:45 PM, Ocean's_Witch said:

Hi! I have been offered CDN$ 23000 as funding from UofT (including TA). Would possibly get some more money from working as RA. How much more would I need to earn to survive somewhere commutable from St. George campus, approx.? Any accommodation is okay with me as long as washroom is not shared. Also, are fellowships and assistantships in Toronto taxed? 

Thanks in advance! 

Hello: what you end up with honestly depends on how much you are willing to pay. For what it's worth, I have colleagues who spend anywhere between $650 (room w/ shared washroom) to to $900 (also a room w/ shared washroom). For a separate washroom, you are looking at a 2 bed, 2 washroom place. These can range anywhere between $1000-$1500 per room- check out Bunz Home Zone and the U of T off campus housing groups on Facebook for most recent estimates. My advice would be to find a place downtown, eliminate commuting costs, and have lots of home cooked meals. Alternatively, make sure that if you are living some distance away from the core, then there are good commuting options with respect to regularity of bus service etc.

TA'ship and RA'ship income is taxed. If your department gives you an award or something (like an entrance scholarship etc.), that will not be taxed.

• 3 weeks later...

Wondering if anyone here has any experience with U of T's on campus options for graduate students (Graduate House at the St. George Campus or Schrieberwood Small/Large Bachelors at UTM, specifically). 

Also, any advice for international students moving to Canada? I've been told that my credit history won't follow me to Canada, so I was wondering how I could possibly get approved for a lease if they can't even run a credit check on me. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking for a Female, non-smoker roommate to share one of York University's in campus apartments starting from September 2019. I could not find any forum with the same topic. If there is please let me know.

Edited by Mahya JR

• 2 years later...

Hi all.  I'm thinking of accepting an offer in Toronto (York).  I would be moving with my family of four and we are thinking of either family housing or a 3 bedroom (no basement.)  What is a livable grad student income level to aim for in Toronto? This will be an international relocation.

Edited by CAVALE

• CAVALE changed the title to Toronto, Canada
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone out there has had any experience, or knows someone who does, living at the University of Toronto's family housing (30 and 35 Charles Street West)? I am a single mom who is a doctoral student, and currently live across the country. Once the pandemic is more or less over, my son (3 years old) and I will have to make our way over to Toronto. Family housing of course has really good rent prices, as well as the various programs they have for families. But I am wondering if lower rent may also be reflected in the quality of the facilities?

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2021 at 4:44 PM, SingleMom said:

anyone out there has had any experience, or knows someone who does, living at the University of Toronto's family housing (30 and 35 Charles Street West)

I've had a good amount of colleagues who have lived there.  I think it's very much relative to your expectations... though that may go without saying.  The lower rent does match the fact that the student family apartments are very small.  At the same time, you could end up paying twice as much for something just as small and poorly maintained trying to find affordable housing elsewhere.  

It's kind of a mixed bag, in my opinion.  I've had friends complain about late night street noise (Yonge St.), bug problems on the bottom four floors, heat problems on the higher up floors, and sun problems (in its total lack if you have a north-facing apartment).  Maybe my friends are just complainers.  Haha.  There's also easy access to the subway, a lot of great places to visit and explore in the immediate area, a daycare specifically for Charles Street Families (the value of which should not be underestimated!  Daycare has years long waiting lists here sometimes!), and a community of other grad students and their families going through the same thing you are.  

If you can easily afford to live elsewhere, I would do that.  If you're anywhere on this side of "financially comfortable", Charles Street is a very reasonable option.

On 4/6/2021 at 8:50 PM, CAVALE said:

I'm thinking of accepting an offer in Toronto (York).  I would be moving with my family of four and we are thinking of either family housing or a 3 bedroom (no basement.)  What is a livable grad student income level to aim for in Toronto? This will be an international relocation.

Hi friend.  

I commented on family housing just above.  In terms of "livable grad student income"--that's tricky, especially since I've only got one kid to consider.  Haha.  Will your partner be working?  For a 3 bedroom apartment or house, I think you could find someplace liveable for $2.5k/month... but that's the floor.  More likely looking at $3k or more for rent.  I guess from there you can extrapolate a living income where $36k/year in rent is 30-35% of your budget or whatever...