Enter Ph.D. program after Master's or wait a year?

ajacot924

Hey Everyone,

I am looking for some advice.

I getting ready to enter a two year Master's program in education.

I will be taking two classes per semester and working full-time (teaching elementary school).

After my Master's, I would like to get my Ph.D.

While I have been reviewing the admissions process for the Ph.D., it seems daunting.

I was wondering if I should take a year off between my Master's degree so that I can focus on the application process at that time. My husband will also be buying a home and starting a family. It would be nice to have that year to focus on my personal life and getting my applications together.

On the other hand, I am afraid that if I wait a year, my application won't be as strong as it would be if I went straight in.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks so much!

Time off between your master's and PhD is fairly common in education. Most people that I see taking time off (in education) usually take 2 - 5 years. Generally this is because they want to gain more upper-level experience in the field - or- they are working on a particular research project and want to be involved in writing journal articles.

Since you haven't started your program, it is too early to tell whether you should take time off. I would revisit this again in a year after you had some experience with doing the full-time teacher, part-time student thing.

It is also not clear to me why you seek the PhD. Generally, you pursue this degree because you have a certain research agenda that you want to explore more in depth. Once you know what you want to research and feel "ready" to explore it, this is when I would start applying to PhD programs especially if you are going to do it part-time. In order to survive the program, you really want to know that it is going to be worth it for your career goals. The part-time education PhDers that I know usually take up to 7 - 10 years to get their degree.

I personally think education applicants are stronger the more experience that they have working in the field after their master's degree. This is different from some other fields that don't necessarily attach as much (or really any value) from taking time off from your studies. Although the application process is time-intensive for the PhD, it is much more time-intensive being in a program and you want to make sure that it is a good decision for you to pursue this degree.

Taking a year off so you can focus on your personal life can be problematic. As the saying goes "life happens," and when it does, one year can quickly become several.

Taking a year off so you can focus on your personal life can be problematic. As the saying goes "life happens," and when it does, one year can quickly become several.

I hear this sentiment a lot. It sounds like you are saying there is an expiration date on graduate school. There's not. Go when you feel ready, OP. I think racing into a PhD program before you are ready sounds like a recipe for disaster...

ZeChocMoose, what would you say is the average age of students entering doctoral programs in higher education? Early 30s?

Typically early to mid 30s for programs that are focused on research and full-time PhD students. You'll probably see higher means at programs where there are larger part-time student populations, only have EdDs (with some exceptions), and/or heavy focus on practitioners jobs instead of academic jobs.

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend waiting a year. But then again, see how you feel after you have finished your master's. You do not want to get burnt out on school. If you take a year or two off you will be ready and anxious to go back to school and it will feel like a welcomed change of pace and not as "daunting." Furthermore, it gives you an opportunity to work and save up some extra money. Having 1 or more years off between programs will not make your application weaker. If you spend that time gaining work experience it will actually make it much stronger. I took 2 years off between getting my master's and starting a phd and I think it was a great decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Double Shot, when you took two years off, did you have a hard time getting recommendations from professors that hadn't taught you in a few years?

That is my main concern with taking time off.

I do plan to work in the field during that time. I am worried about feeling burnt out and I know if I take time off I will be anxious to get back when the time comes.

May I ask if you worked while getting your Ph.D? If so, did you find it daunting?

Thanks so much!

If you are not sure or are not ready for the commitment, then take a year off. With that said, I would use that year to do activities that will boost your application- like RA work, getting your thesis out for publication , and/or atending a conference. I might also spend this time researching into your dissertation topic, so that you can come in with a solid idea of what you want to do.

...but maybe doing all that isn't technically a 'year off'...